British Wrestling In Turmoil: New Restrictions On NXT UK Talent Imminent

Tell it to the world!!
cero2k
Site Admin

British Wrestling In Turmoil: New Restrictions On NXT UK Talent Imminent

Post by cero2k » Nov 26th, '18, 13:49

Didn't think this qualified as news, more like commentary.

Source: https://wrestletalk.com/news/british-wr ... -imminent/

Well, it was inevitable that this would happen eventually . . .

It has come to light via our sources that following this weekend’s tapings in Liverpool, several members of the NXT UK roster have been given new contracts. The new deals will allegedly see an increase to the wrestlers’ annual salary (we should note that we have not seen the contracts and we do not know figures at this stage) but will prevent them from working for any other promotions in the UK.

If true, this seems to directly contradict previous WWE statements at the launch of the brand that there would be “no restrictions” on talent and that WWE were not “the big bad wolf” coming into the scene and signing talent to stop them from working elsewhere.

Previously NXT UK talent were unable to wrestle for promotions with a significant online presence or with distribution deals (such as Defiant and RevPro) but were still permitted to wrestle on local-level indy events, as well as for WWE’s partner promotions PROGRESS, ICW and wXw (in Germany).

Has the gravy train ended?

Our sources indicate that the terms of the new contracts prevent NXT UK talent from working anywhere else except for the partner groups, giving WWE exclusivity on its roster. These changes are perhaps a response to the disappointing houses NXT UK has drawn for recent tapings, with only a reported 600-800 in attendance on each night of the Liverpool events this past weekend, far less than the venue capacity. The logic behind it is likely that if a fan can pay £10 to see the stars of the show at a local indy group then they are unlikely to pay significantly more to see them at NXT UK.

We should stress that we have been told this new deal does not apply to everyone on the roster, so you may still see some NXT UK talent appearing on indy shows, which would signify that they do not have new deals. We are told that it does apply to the majority of talent though.

New restrictions
Apparently the majority of those no longer able to work elsewhere will be allowed to finish up their advertised bookings for the end of the year, but there will be additional restrictions attached. One of these is that talent can only wrestle on a show if there is a paramedic there, due to several members of the roster turning up to the recent UK Performance Centre training session carrying injuries that WWE were unaware of. For several smaller promotions, this could be a problem.

More interestingly, our sources indicate that NXT UK talent will not be permitted to wrestle against anyone contracted to ROH, Impact, NJPW, WOS or any other major promotion. Previously this had not been the case. This applies immediately, meaning any previously booked and advertised matches pitting NXT UK talent against wrestlers from any of the aforementioned groups need to be changed.

Tidal Wrestling, a promotion based in Leeds, were the first to publicly acknowledge the situation, posting on their Facebook page that due to changes in circumstances their December card would mark the final appearance of NXT UK talent on their shows. Other promotions are expected to follow suit, with several groups having been informed today about the changes.

16th December at Silent Nightmare 5 has taken on some unexpected significance.

Not only is it the last show of 2018, it has now been confirmed as the last appearance by Ligero in a Tidal ring.

This is no story or angle but as I’m sure you’re aware, big things are happening in UK wrestling we are more than happy for those they’re happening to. We wish nothing but the best for Ligero and he deserves everything that comes his way. There’s not a single harder worker in the business.

So if you want to come say your farewells and THANK YOU LIGS then his match with DeReiss vs Super Smash Bros will be your last chance. Possibly ever with us.

And don’t be late as in true Ligs fashion he’s booked elsewhere the same night so will be opening the show with a bang!

Choking the scene
Where all of this leaves the UK scene is unclear.

While there is still a wealth of talent in the country, the rate at which WWE snapped up so many established names in one go is surely going to have a detrimental effect now that they are not allowed to wrestle anywhere else.

Rather than helping the UK scene by giving a boost to local promotions who were able to advertise and use NXT UK talent on their cards, WWE are choking the life out of the scene by cherry-picking who it feels are the top guys and giving nothing back.

Outside of the talent – who stand to benefit from being paid more to wrestle less – the only beneficiaries of this appear to be WWE and its partner promotions.

If you care about the future of pro wrestling in the UK, or worldwide for that matter, we encourage you to support your local independent wrestling scene.

KILLdozer

Re: British Wrestling In Turmoil: New Restrictions On NXT UK Talent Imminent

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 26th, '18, 14:22

Of course this is happening. It's blatant writing on the wall. They're expanding, doing bigger things, signing whoever and getting everyone they want...NXT is getting bigger with more depth to it...branching off into its own subsets, I'd say maybe just women's tag titles are coming....they're heading towards Germany stuff...should I go on?

It's the logical business move. They're buying everything up again. Natural next step really.
Last edited by KILLdozer on Nov 26th, '18, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 26th, '18, 14:53

KILLdozer wrote: Nov 26th, '18, 14:22 Of course this is happening. It's blatant writing on the wall. They're expanding, doing bigger things, signing whoever and getting everyone they want...NXT is getting bigger with more depth to it...branching off into its own subsets, I'd say maybe just women's tag titles are coming....they're heading towards Germany stuff...should I go?

It's the logical business move. They're buying everything up again. Natural next step really.
yeah, no one should have expected anything different. WWE want's to control wrestling and make sure no one can come up beyond a certain level. Even if you bend the knee and suck up to them, they'll only allow you to go so far. I watched 300, i know these things.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 26th, '18, 15:38

Article from F4WOnline. Highlighted a line that I thought interesting

source: https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/rest ... cts-270971

A new report indicates that WWE is looking to substantially restrict the number of promotions that their United Kingdom talent will be allowed to wrestle in.

A WrestleTalk report out today said that following this weekend’s tapings in Liverpool, a number of talent were given new contracts. These new contracts come with a pay raise, but also with new caveats: for one, they can only wrestle under WWE and WWE’s partner groups, which include PROGRESS, ICW, Fight Club Pro, Attack! Pro Wrestling, Futureshock, Over the Top Wrestling and wXw. They will be allowed to take the rest of their advertised booking through the end of the year.

Additionally, PWInsider reported that these promotions won't be able to film WWE contracted talent, leaving them in dark matches.

NXT UK talent under these new deals reportedly won’t be able to wrestle against talent contracted to promotions such as Ring of Honor, New Japan Pro Wrestling, World of Sport or any other promotion that WWE considers major. They also won’t be able to perform for a promotion if there isn’t a paramedic there.

More local, lesser known promotions in the UK will likely be hit hardest. Pro Wrestling Chaos announced this morning that Flash Morgan Webster, El Ligero and James Drake, all under WWE contract, would no longer be able to perform at their events. Tidal Wrestling also announced that El Ligero would no longer appear after their final show of 2018.

Before the new contracts, UK talent were only banned from promotions that had a significant streaming or television presence, like RevPro or Defiant. The report stresses that these new restrictions don't apply to everyone on the UK roster, but does apply to the majority.

This news comes as WWE is looking to ramp up their presence in the UK. With the establishment of the NXT UK brand, they look to regularly tape television there going forward. NXT UK will hold their first TakeOver event in Blackpool on January 12.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 26th, '18, 15:55

cero2k wrote: Nov 26th, '18, 13:49 Previously NXT UK talent were unable to wrestle for promotions with a significant online presence or with distribution deals (such as Defiant and RevPro) but were still permitted to wrestle on local-level indy events, as well as for WWE’s partner promotions PROGRESS, ICW and wXw (in Germany).

Our sources indicate that the terms of the new contracts prevent NXT UK talent from working anywhere else except for the partner groups, giving WWE exclusivity on its roster.
If they can still work Progress, ICW and wXw I'm not seeing the big deal. Sucky for the indies, but the former agreement was too good to be true to begin with.
cero2k wrote: Nov 26th, '18, 13:49 there will be additional restrictions attached. One of these is that talent can only wrestle on a show if there is a paramedic there, due to several members of the roster turning up to the recent UK Performance Centre training session carrying injuries that WWE were unaware of.
That's not a bad thing... I figured that was standard just to hold an event in the States, I know it is in Pennsylvania - but we're a "Commonwealth" (as opposed to a "State") and that comes with lots of funky laws you don't see other places (Alcohol can only be purchased at special distributors!). I helped a friend with a Roller Derby event and they made us have TWO paramedics on site for that... just sayin'... it wasn't hard, and I don't think it cost us anything...
cero2k wrote: Nov 26th, '18, 13:49 NXT UK talent will not be permitted to wrestle against anyone contracted to ROH, Impact, NJPW, WOS or any other major promotion.
This is disappointing. Just as I was talking about how surreal wrestling was getting with their boundaries, they pull one of these. Makes me wonder if they do the hypocritical thing and allow EVOLVE to move ahead with LAX vs Street Profits or if it's just a tease...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 26th, '18, 16:33

Bob-O wrote: Nov 26th, '18, 15:55
cero2k wrote: Nov 26th, '18, 13:49 Previously NXT UK talent were unable to wrestle for promotions with a significant online presence or with distribution deals (such as Defiant and RevPro) but were still permitted to wrestle on local-level indy events, as well as for WWE’s partner promotions PROGRESS, ICW and wXw (in Germany).

Our sources indicate that the terms of the new contracts prevent NXT UK talent from working anywhere else except for the partner groups, giving WWE exclusivity on its roster.
If they can still work Progress, ICW and wXw I'm not seeing the big deal. Sucky for the indies, but the former agreement was too good to be true to begin with.
It's the other indies that i care about and why i think it's a big deal, those promotions just lost a lot of names that brought in people.

But see it also from the WWE promotion's POV, if you're PROGRESS, you can use WWE talent, but they can't be on film, they can't face off against talent that is not from WWE's friends, they likely can't get pinned clean if they're important in the NXTUK show, and this is all assuming that NXT doesn't pull them for some appearance. Any promotion that didn't see this coming is a complete dumbass, but it sucks to be roped into that. they just fragmented a whole territory that got over despite WWE, and this is just the beginning.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 26th, '18, 19:11

Gabe just announced Darby & Street Profits vs. LAX & Theory.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 26th, '18, 19:45

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 26th, '18, 19:11 Gabe just announced Darby & Street Profits vs. LAX & Theory.
$5 that Ortiz takes the pin

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 26th, '18, 23:03

Street profits? Angelo Dawkins?

Pfftt. Cryme Tyme called....it doesn't want to be combined with the new day any longer.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Nov 29th, '18, 09:13

I agree with WWE on this. I wouldn't want guys I invested money into getting injured or beaten on someone else's behalf, especially if I didn't have a working agreement with them. The fact that NXT UK talents weren't immediately locked down, likely while Triple H sorted particulars to get the brand off the ground, shows a level-headedness to Triple H's approach which Vince didn't have in the 80s. This is also apparent in the fact that only the top level guys are locked down. Triple H understands the value of underneath guys being able to work freely and mid-level guys working elsewhere with stipulations
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 29th, '18, 10:03

NWK2000 wrote: Nov 29th, '18, 09:13 I agree with WWE on this. I wouldn't want guys I invested money into getting injured or beaten on someone else's behalf, especially if I didn't have a working agreement with them. The fact that NXT UK talents weren't immediately locked down, likely while Triple H sorted particulars to get the brand off the ground, shows a level-headedness to Triple H's approach which Vince didn't have in the 80s. This is also apparent in the fact that only the top level guys are locked down. Triple H understands the value of underneath guys being able to work freely and mid-level guys working elsewhere with stipulations
This is mostly my view of this as well. I don't think it's good for wrestling overall, but it makes perfect sense for WWE to do this without the need to scribe malicious motives to it, and it really is a perfectly reasonable expectation. That being said, I think that the restrictions on jobber could be lightened up if they just gave indy promoters some notice to finish up a guy's program before NXT UK pulls the trigger on a big push.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3