Great Shot of Arena Mexico

Tell it to the world!!
Bob-O

Great Shot of Arena Mexico

Post by Bob-O » Aug 4th, '18, 14:13

From El Negro Casas 40 Year Anniversary Show

With all eyes focused on WWE/NJPW these days, people forget about CMLL down there nonchalantly being the second biggest company in the world...

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Great Shot of Arena Mexico

Post by cero2k » Aug 4th, '18, 15:05

CMLL is seriously having a great year, tons of sell outs, bunch of big names coming in. I went to a show to Arena Mexico on March and it was a lot of fun

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 4th, '18, 15:51

It's a shame Meltzer doesn't give them the time of day. Wrestling awareness in America is 90% trickle down from whatever Dave is on about that week, and I'd really like to know more about this!

They put the Arena Mexico shows on YouTube for free from what I understand, so I'm going to give it a try.

Cero, do they do English or am I going to need to brush up on my Spanish for this adventure?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 4th, '18, 19:54

Bob-O wrote: Aug 4th, '18, 15:51 It's a shame Meltzer doesn't give them the time of day. Wrestling awareness in America is 90% trickle down from whatever Dave is on about that week, and I'd really like to know more about this!

They put the Arena Mexico shows on YouTube for free from what I understand, so I'm going to give it a try.

Cero, do they do English or am I going to need to brush up on my Spanish for this adventure?
I'm not disagreeing with your Meltzer trickle-down theory at least as far as international stuff goes (although I think certainly PROGRESS and to a degree wXw, WCPW, and RevPro have done an excellent job without too much help from Dave), but I also think that the major reason that Lucha and WWC don't get talked about by Amero-Canadians anywhere near as much as puro/joshi is the language barrier... or, more specifically, the fact that most Japanese promotions book in such a way that don't need to know any backstory at all to understand a match, whereas Lucha (and WWC) place a lot more emphasis the histories of the characters and their related gimmicks and familial connections.
wXw has some of that, too, and I was only able to break into it because they had English commentators who really know their history and the fact that a third of the stuff is in English anyway... and that's a promotion that only has 17 years behind it (but realistically even less because a lot of the old ultra-violent wXw stuff from pre-2008 has really been phased out the consciousness for stuff that actually matters at this point. In Lucha, there is literally generations of such history. If you were to try to pick up CMLL right now, you'd probably need an established historian with you to help you understand some things.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 5th, '18, 08:51

Bob-O wrote: Aug 4th, '18, 15:51 It's a shame Meltzer doesn't give them the time of day. Wrestling awareness in America is 90% trickle down from whatever Dave is on about that week, and I'd really like to know more about this!

CMLL is actually the one and only promotion that Meltzer pays the most attention. Clash and AAA are only mentioned by him when either shit hits the fan or some big debut/angle happens.

I don't think that there is an English version, but you can find it online live every friday. I also know that NJPWWorld has the shows in Japanese if that makes it harder

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 5th, '18, 20:47

cero2k wrote: Aug 5th, '18, 08:51 I don't think that there is an English version, but you can find it online live every friday. I also know that NJPWWorld has the shows in Japanese if that makes it harder
Haha! Nice.

I used to be functionally fluent. I watched a little bit last night, I don't remember enough spanish to know what they were saying, but I remembered enough to know the gist of what was going on...