2017 WON Wrestling/MMA Awards

Tell it to the world!!
cero2k
Site Admin

2017 WON Wrestling/MMA Awards

Post by cero2k » Mar 2nd, '17, 10:54

Award Winner Runner Up
Lou Thesz/ Ric Flair award (Best Wrestler)
AJ STYLES (2,920)
Okada (2,637)

Most Outstanding Wrestler
AJ Styles (2,436)
Kenny Omega (2,352)

Best Box Office Draw
Conor McGregor (5,206)
Brock Lesnar (1,302)

Feud of the Year
Conor McGregor v. Nate Diaz (3,582)
John Cena v. AJ Styles (9,40)

Team of the Year
Young Bucks (3,801)
The Revival (2,456)

Most Improved
Matt Riddle (1,026)
The Miz (1,020)

Best on Interviews
Conor McGregor (3,468)
The Miz (924)

Most Charismatic
Conor McGregor (2,715)
Shinsuke Nakamura (2,116)

Bryan Danielson Award (Best Technical Wrestler)
Zack Sabre Jr (3,273)
Kyle O'Reily (2,568)

Bruiser Brody Memorial Award (Best Brawler)
Tomohiro Ishii (3,044)
Katsuyori Shibata (2,873)

Best Flying Wrestler
Will Ospreay (4,467)
Ricochet (3,276)

Most Overrated (aka most overpushed)
Roman Reigns (1,516)
Braun Strowman (719)

Most Underrated (aka most underpushed)
Cesaro (1,571)
Neville (1,106)

Promotion of the Year
New Japan Pro Wrestling (4,215)
UFC (2,878)

Best weekly tv show
New Japan Pro Wrestling on AXS (2,070)
Smackdown Live (1,626)

Match of the Year
Tanahashi vs. Okada (WK10) (2,568)
Omega vs. Naito 8/13 Tokyo (2,451)

Rookie of the year
Matt Riddle (4,773)
Lio Rush (2,142)

Best non-wrestler
Dario Cueto (1,656)
Daniel Bryan (1,561)

Best TV Announcer
Mauro Ranallo (2,199)
Corey Graves (1,910)

Worst TV Announcer
David Otunga (2,018)
Matt Striker (1,651)

Best Major Show
WK10 (4,001)
PWG Battle of Los Angeles night 2 (1,409)

B Awards
Worst Major Show
Wrestlemania 32

Best Wrestling Move
One Winged Angel by Kenny Omega

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic
Kimbo Slice vs. Dada 5000

Worst TV Show
WWE Raw

Worst Match of the Year
Shelly Martinez vs. Rebel

Worst Feud of the Year
Titus O'Niel vs. Darren Young

Worst Promotion
TNA

Best Booker
Gedo

Promoter of the year
Dana White

Best Gimmick
Broken Matt Hardy

Worst Gimmick
Bone Soldier

Best Book
Ali vs. Inoki

Best DVD/Network special
Seth Rollins: Redesign, Rebuild, Reclaim

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: 2017 WON Wrestling/MMA Awards

Post by cero2k » Mar 2nd, '17, 11:23

cero2k wrote:Most Improved
Matt Riddle (1,026)
The Miz (1,020)

Rookie of the year
Matt Riddle (4,773)
Lio Rush (2,142)
not sure how a rookie can qualify as 'best improved' too, aren't they technically improving from nothing?

Best non-wrestler
Dario Cueto (1,656)
Daniel Bryan (1,561)
Dragon as non-wrestler. so sad

Worst Promotion
TNA
Sucks, I personally thought AAA and NOAH were considerably worse last year

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 2nd, '17, 14:48

cero2k wrote:
cero2k wrote:Most Improved
Matt Riddle (1,026)
The Miz (1,020)

Rookie of the year
Matt Riddle (4,773)
Lio Rush (2,142)
not sure how a rookie can qualify as 'best improved' too, aren't they technically improving from nothing?
Eligibility for the Rookie award allows you to have wrestled for a few months of the previous year, but in theory you're right. A lot of the people who vote for these things don't actually take the names into account but instead just vote for whatever they like/don't like. For example, most of the things people vote for as "most disgusting promotional tactic" aren't even promotional tactics at all (especially once you get out of the eighties). People just treat it as a catch-all for a management decision or a comment they don't like.
Best non-wrestler
Dario Cueto (1,656)
Daniel Bryan (1,561)
And he hasn't even been a good one. These votes are definitely biased towards people's preconceived notions. Yeah, TNA sucked last year but Maria as a non-wrestlers was lightyears better than Daniel Bryan. She and Dario were in a stratosphere all their own.

Worst Promotion
TNA
I didn't think NOAH was that bad. I wouldn't say it was good or anything, but it was much better than TNA. I'd even say it was better than All-Japan. I can't speak for AAA, but while they did have turmoil, I don't really recall hearing that there was that much that was bad in terms of show quality.

I would love to see the wrestling and MMA stuff separated for promoting and booking and drawing. Also, I'd love to hear people actually try to justify voting for Gedo. It wouldn't surprise me if these were the same people who were crapping on him for pushing Elgin or for taking the IWGP Heavyweight Title from Naito after only two months or anything else. That company is so weak when it comes to anything that isn't action in the heavyweight singes division (notice how I said action and not booking) and maybe the booking of the Jr. Heayweight singles. If we're being on honest with ourselves, NO ONE has a good tag team division of any sort right now aside from maybe NXT (New Japan Jr.'s, ROH, LU, and PWG, and are all really mostly surviving on throwing action matches at the wall but have no real direction. You could argue that TNA has a direction, but the quality is low and the direction in question involves the tag champs having to go to other companies for competition).
I think people vote on fumes a lot. They think Gedo had some good years two ears ago or whatever so they vote for him. I can see that being the reason why a lot of people voted TNA for worst promotion despite not really watching it (no one talks about it), I'm sure this also saved ROH from some negative awards (particularly worst gimmick for The Cabinet). If we're being honest with ourselves, I don't remember Dragon doing all that much to be the best technical wrestler in some of his WWE years, and how the hell did Kyle win this year over a guy like Zack Sabre Jr.? People vote a lot of this on feel or name value rather than facts.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 3rd, '17, 08:59

Big Red Machine wrote:Best non-wrestler
Dario Cueto (1,656)
Daniel Bryan (1,561)
And he hasn't even been a good one. These votes are definitely biased towards people's preconceived notions. Yeah, TNA sucked last year but Maria as a non-wrestlers was lightyears better than Daniel Bryan. She and Dario were in a stratosphere all their own.
most definitely, Dragon was good in talking smack, but nothing compared to Hathaway, Maria, or even Allie as non wrestlers

Worst Promotion
TNA
I didn't think NOAH was that bad. I wouldn't say it was good or anything, but it was much better than TNA. I'd even say it was better than All-Japan. I can't speak for AAA, but while they did have turmoil, I don't really recall hearing that there was that much that was bad in terms of show quality.
i guess it depends on what you like, AAA build itself last year around Pagano vs Psycho and Perros vs Familia de Tijuana, so it really was just a bunch of extreme match, and you can only do so many of those. AJPW i actually liked what i saw with the main event guys, bunch of huge guys hitting each other

I would love to see the wrestling and MMA stuff separated for promoting and booking and drawing. Also, I'd love to hear people actually try to justify voting for Gedo. It wouldn't surprise me if these were the same people who were crapping on him for pushing Elgin or for taking the IWGP Heavyweight Title from Naito after only two months or anything else. That company is so weak when it comes to anything that isn't action in the heavyweight singes division (notice how I said action and not booking) and maybe the booking of the Jr. Heayweight singles. If we're being on honest with ourselves, NO ONE has a good tag team division of any sort right now aside from maybe NXT (New Japan Jr.'s, ROH, LU, and PWG, and are all really mostly surviving on throwing action matches at the wall but have no real direction. You could argue that TNA has a direction, but the quality is low and the direction in question involves the tag champs having to go to other companies for competition).
Actually, i think PROGRESS has a pretty decent tag division. Bunch of teams, they've been building their no 1 contenders, and if it weren't for WWE taking away their tag champs, i'd say we would had seen more interaction, but unfortunately, MM is not always there, at least not as a team.

I think people vote on fumes a lot. They think Gedo had some good years two ears ago or whatever so they vote for him. I can see that being the reason why a lot of people voted TNA for worst promotion despite not really watching it (no one talks about it), I'm sure this also saved ROH from some negative awards (particularly worst gimmick for The Cabinet). If we're being honest with ourselves, I don't remember Dragon doing all that much to be the best technical wrestler in some of his WWE years, and how the hell did Kyle win this year over a guy like Zack Sabre Jr.? People vote a lot of this on feel or name value rather than facts.
that's the problem when you have fan voting, it's 50% name value and at the same time, fans don't necessarily watch everything. When you only watch WWE and ROH and NJPW, Gedo definitely comes off as the best booker. people voted TNA because no one has watched the great segments, they just hear the crap news. People rarely watch Evolve, RevPro, or Progress. i'm sure at least half of the fanbase only watch PWG because Dave raves about it

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 9th, '17, 09:16

I don't respect any of this, we've been here before: putting MMA in the same category as wrestling.

Who runs this Vince McMahon?

Since we just have to stress That it's NOT wrestling but actually a very real legitimate sport.

2ndly, they're just not comparable.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.