Day-to-Day Quote Topic

Tell it to the world!!

Big Red Machine
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: Day-to-Day Quote Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 14th, '19, 06:48

Bob-O wrote:
Nov 13th, '19, 23:50
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but most slaves didn't get to pick a name that was meaningful to them. Or to pick their name at all.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

cero2k
Site Admin
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero

Post by cero2k » Nov 14th, '19, 08:38

Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 14th, '19, 06:48

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but most slaves didn't get to pick a name that was meaningful to them. Or to pick their name at all.
i'm surprised by how everyone is missing the point about this, it doesn't matter that he picked it, when he joined WWE he obviously was happy about joining

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 14th, '19, 09:27

cero2k wrote:
Nov 14th, '19, 08:38
Big Red Machine wrote:

i'm surprised by how everyone is missing the point about this, it doesn't matter that he picked it, when he joined WWE he obviously was happy about joining
It's him trying to build off of the previous real racial controversy by crassly adding a new, fake layer to it.

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 14th, '19, 10:03

Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 14th, '19, 09:27

It's him trying to build off of the previous real racial controversy by crassly adding a new, fake layer to it?
the 'slave name' term has been going on for years for WWE gimmicks, he's not pretending to be a slave nor he coined up the term. At the end of the day, I believe we're all white in this forum and it really serves no purpose for us to discuss what ACH, a black person, constitutes racism against him. He doesn't want to be called Jordan Myles anymore, don't call him Jordan Myles. that's it.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 14th, '19, 12:07

cero2k wrote:
Nov 14th, '19, 10:03
Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 14th, '19, 09:27

It's him trying to build off of the previous real racial controversy by crassly adding a new, fake layer to it?
the 'slave name' term has been going on for years for WWE gimmicks, he's not pretending to be a slave nor he coined up the term. At the end of the day, I believe we're all white in this forum and it really serves no purpose for us to discuss what ACH, a black person, constitutes racism against him. He doesn't want to be called Jordan Myles anymore, don't call him Jordan Myles. that's it.
No one was calling him Jordan Myles in the first place, though, other than himself. 99% of people outside of official WWE publications still called him ACH. It's a name he picked out for the very personal reasons he laid out here. Others who have used the tern "slave name" for WWE terms in the past were talking about names that were foisted upon then when they would much rather have been their own, chosen indy name. His use of the term seems like an attempt to use race to get more attention for him quitting. That doesn't mean his quitting wasn't justified or that he wasn't completely right about the shirt being racist, but trying to bring race into the name feels like trying to get more attention, just like him calling Lethal an Uncle Tom with no evidence to back his claim up.

It'd also be nice if we could not pretend that black people are the only ones who have been slaves, even in recent memory. My aunt's grandmother was bought as a slave in Syria, Nazis used Jews and Poles as slave laborers, and the Japanese did the same to the Chinese. If everyone else can open their mouths about what constitutes a "concentration camp," I think I'm more than entitled to pipe up when someone is using the term "slave name" in a manner completely incomparable to the way African-American slaves u thie country were treated, robbed if their own identities and religions and given English Christian names instead because it was more convenient for their captors.

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 14th, '19, 13:16

Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 14th, '19, 12:07

No one was calling him Jordan Myles in the first place, though, other than himself. 99% of people outside of official WWE publications still called him ACH. It's a name he picked out for the very personal reasons he laid out here. Others who have used the tern "slave name" for WWE terms in the past were talking about names that were foisted upon then when they would much rather have been their own, chosen indy name. His use of the term seems like an attempt to use race to get more attention for him quitting. That doesn't mean his quitting wasn't justified or that he wasn't completely right about the shirt being racist, but trying to bring race into the name feels like trying to get more attention, just like him calling Lethal an Uncle Tom with no evidence to back his claim up.

It'd also be nice if we could not pretend that black people are the only ones who have been slaves, even in recent memory. My aunt's grandmother was bought as a slave in Syria, Nazis used Jews and Poles as slave laborers, and the Japanese did the same to the Chinese. If everyone else can open their mouths about what constitutes a "concentration camp," I think I'm more than entitled to pipe up when someone is using the term "slave name" in a manner completely incomparable to the way African-American slaves u thie country were treated, robbed if their own identities and religions and given English Christian names instead because it was more convenient for their captors.
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/ ... er-662144/

a lot of people were and still are. Who decides on the name is irrelevant, wrestlers have had options to choose from for decades, that has nothing to do with the idea that once you're in WWE, you're their 'slave'

We're dropping this now, we're not getting into a discussion about racism.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 14th, '19, 17:16

cero2k wrote:
Nov 14th, '19, 13:16
Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 14th, '19, 12:07

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/ ... er-662144/

a lot of people were and still are. Who decides on the name is irrelevant, wrestlers have had options to choose from for decades, that has nothing to do with the idea that once you're in WWE, you're their 'slave'

We're dropping this now, we're not getting into a discussion about racism.
That context was missing from the original post. Obviously you shouldn't call someone something they don't want to be called. From the original post it appeared that he just threw the term out there out of the blue, after putting himself over for coming up with it.

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O
Favorite Wrestler: Marty Scurll

Post by Bob-O » Nov 14th, '19, 21:00

cero2k wrote:
Nov 14th, '19, 08:38
Big Red Machine wrote:

Who wouldn't be until reality sets in...

From the sounds of things he's not going to be happy anywhere... in his tirade, sparked by a shirt that wasn't for sale and I still believe was unintentionally offensive, he buried everyone he'd ever worked for! He buried JAY LETHAL? He's calling race on a company that just finished up a world title program with Kofi Kingston, is featuring Bobby Lashley in their top storyline, just put the 205 Title on Lio Rush - a title Cedric Alexander held for, like, ever... a company that's pushing Ricochet and Sasha Banks hard as hell... c'mon now...

I'm all ears for the rest of the story on this, but from the information we've got... FROM ACH... I'm hearing a guy throwing some pretty harsh accusations around because he didn't get his way. On his shirt, on his push, probably on his check (get in line...) My six year old daughter does this all the time, but she needs to understand that she's not big enough to use the lawn mower - and ACH needs to understand that he's not remarkable enough to headline shows.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 14th, '19, 22:00

I mean... he actually is good enough to headline shows. He just seems to rub every single person he comes into contact with other than maybe (Danny Davis and whoever else is running AAW) the wrong way.

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 15th, '19, 09:20

Bob-O wrote:
Nov 14th, '19, 21:00
He's calling race on a company that just finished up a world title program with Kofi Kingston, is featuring Bobby Lashley in their top storyline, just put the 205 Title on Lio Rush - a title Cedric Alexander held for, like, ever... a company that's pushing Ricochet and Sasha Banks hard as hell... c'mon now...
i think you're helping ACH's argument bringing up all that stuff.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 15th, '19, 10:03

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 15th, '19, 12:20

"The UK Scene is ok" -- Pete Dunne

NWK2000
Favorite Wrestler: Great Sasuke

Post by NWK2000 » Nov 15th, '19, 12:55

Bob-O wrote:

Who wouldn't be until reality sets in...

From the sounds of things he's not going to be happy anywhere... in his tirade, sparked by a shirt that wasn't for sale and I still believe was unintentionally offensive, he buried everyone he'd ever worked for! He buried JAY LETHAL? He's calling race on a company that just finished up a world title program with Kofi Kingston, is featuring Bobby Lashley in their top storyline, just put the 205 Title on Lio Rush - a title Cedric Alexander held for, like, ever... a company that's pushing Ricochet and Sasha Banks hard as hell... c'mon now...

I'm all ears for the rest of the story on this, but from the information we've got... FROM ACH... I'm hearing a guy throwing some pretty harsh accusations around because he didn't get his way. On his shirt, on his push, probably on his check (get in line...) My six year old daughter does this all the time, but she needs to understand that she's not big enough to use the lawn mower - and ACH needs to understand that he's not remarkable enough to headline shows.
^This. Also, having taken the time to look to view some pictures in which ACH is smiling, dude has a big, bright smile. It could be that someone in the graphics department literally decided his smile was his most prominent. They could've obviously gone less Cleveland Indians mascot with it but I can see how someone could look at ACH and decide his smile is his most prominent feature
Up next on NWK Reviews
Jushin Liger TV Special
NJPW Wrestle Kingdom V
WWE Survivor Series 2014
WWF St.Valentine's Day Masssacre

Bob-O
Favorite Wrestler: Marty Scurll

Post by Bob-O » Nov 15th, '19, 19:50

cero2k wrote:
Nov 15th, '19, 09:20
Bob-O wrote:
He's calling race on a company that just finished up a world title program with Kofi Kingston, is featuring Bobby Lashley in their top storyline, just put the 205 Title on Lio Rush - a title Cedric Alexander held for, like, ever... a company that's pushing Ricochet and Sasha Banks hard as hell... c'mon now...
i think you're helping ACH's argument bringing up all that stuff.
I don't understand?

I mean, none of us really knows what goes on behind those closed doors, but bringing skin color up as a reason for not getting opportunity in a company where A LOT of people the same skin color as him are getting pushes and screen time is missing me. Unless Hunter told him he wasn't being used at the moment because they were using Keith Lee instead, I don't think ACH has much of an argument.

Maybe he's just expressing pride for his heritage WHILE being pissed off about lack of overall opportunity... in which case, yo! Sound off, man! But that's not how he's coming across at all.
Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 14th, '19, 22:00
I mean... he actually is good enough to headline shows.
I don't see it. I don't think he's "BAD" by any means, just unremarkable. He's very talented, but on most rosters anything he can do somebody else can do better.
NWK2000 wrote:
Nov 15th, '19, 12:55
Also, having taken the time to look to view some pictures in which ACH is smiling, dude has a big, bright smile. It could be that someone in the graphics department literally decided his smile was his most prominent.
That's what I'm saying. On any other color t-shirt, there's nothing wrong with the graphic, it's just stupid and nobody would ever wear it in public or in private.

Not gonna lie though, I'm thinking about making my own to wear to shows because I think it'd be funny. Not on a black shirt or anything, but just the stupid Smiles Miles design on a green shirt or something like that.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 18th, '19, 20:57

Meltzer on tomorrow night's Impact concept show:
Impact tomorrow night will be the Retro Wrestling show called Throwback Throwdown. The idea is that they are running a small Canadian independent group called the Impact Provincial Wrestling Federation in the early 80s, like Stampede Wrestling without a Dynamite Kid or Bret Hart. There will be a Commonwealth TV title loser leaves town match with Willie Mack as Downtown Daddy Brown, A body slam challenge with Kongo Kong and Muscles McGee (Brian Cage), an eight man match with Georgia Cobb (Jordynne Grace) & Ladybird Johnston (Jessicka Havok) & Mildred Moore (Alexia Nicole) & Blanche Ardmore (Tessa Blanchard) vs. a guys team of Tim Burr & Jim Nasium & Bill Ding & Ray Strack, the NASCAR driver. Geez, it's like they're doing the worst of a Disco Inferno acid trip. Cousin Jake & Cody Deaner are a tag team called Hall & Oats. And there is a blindfold match with Eddie Edwards and Cowboy Colt McCoy vs. Gama Singh, who will play Gama Singh, who actually was a star in his same gimmick in 1981.

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 18th, '19, 21:38

Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 18th, '19, 20:57
Impact tomorrow night will be the Retro Wrestling show called Throwback Throwdown. The idea is that they are running a small Canadian independent group called the Impact Provincial Wrestling Federation in the early 80s, like Stampede Wrestling without a Dynamite Kid or Bret Hart. There will be a Commonwealth TV title loser leaves town match with Willie Mack as Downtown Daddy Brown, A body slam challenge with Kongo Kong and Muscles McGee (Brian Cage), an eight man match with Georgia Cobb (Jordynne Grace) & Ladybird Johnston (Jessicka Havok) & Mildred Moore (Alexia Nicole) & Blanche Ardmore (Tessa Blanchard) vs. a guys team of Tim Burr & Jim Nasium & Bill Ding & Ray Strack, the NASCAR driver. Geez, it's like they're doing the worst of a Disco Inferno acid trip. Cousin Jake & Cody Deaner are a tag team called Hall & Oats. And there is a blindfold match with Eddie Edwards and Cowboy Colt McCoy vs. Gama Singh, who will play Gama Singh, who actually was a star in his same gimmick in 1981.
the man who excuses WWE booking calling this a bad acid trip. it's not even for tomorrow, it's next week

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 19th, '19, 08:16

cero2k wrote:
Nov 18th, '19, 21:38
Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 18th, '19, 20:57
the man who excuses WWE booking calling this a bad acid trip. it's not even for tomorrow, it's next week
I don't excuse WWE booking, and even WWE never said "we're going to pretend it's 1981 for a week and give everyone goofy names." This is like if WWE decided to dedicate an episode of Raw to Southpaw Championship Wrestling.

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 19th, '19, 09:45

Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 19th, '19, 08:16

I don't excuse WWE booking, and even WWE never said "we're going to pretend it's 1981 for a week and give everyone goofy names." This is like if WWE decided to dedicate an episode of Raw to Southpaw Championship Wrestling.
i didn't mean you, i meant Meltzer. Impact has been doing one-off shows for Thanksgiving for a while, instead of doing it about a turkey suit, they're doing a retro show. If WWE did a one-off SCW/RAW it would be the biggest rating of the year.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 19th, '19, 16:53

cero2k wrote:
Nov 19th, '19, 09:45
Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 19th, '19, 08:16

i didn't mean you, i meant Meltzer. Impact has been doing one-off shows for Thanksgiving for a while, instead of doing it about a turkey suit, they're doing a retro show. If WWE did a one-off SCW/RAW it would be the biggest rating of the year.
There's a huge difference between this and the turkey suit. The turkey suit was dumb, but it didn't show the continuity to be malleable based on someone's wacky random whims. This is like someone pulled the handle on the "What If? Machine" from Futurama and asked "what if Impact was like a goofy 80's wrestling show?" and that aired in place of real Impact that week.

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation