Which WWE PPV's would you LOVE to bring back?

Tell it to the world!!
womenwrestlerfan
Future Endeavored

Which WWE PPV's would you LOVE to bring back?

Post by womenwrestlerfan » Mar 5th, '11, 18:20

Hey guys,

Here's a question for all of you:

Now, which WWE PPV's would you LOVE to bring back?

I mean, look @ the ones that we use to have:

No Way Out
BACKLASH
Judgment Day
King of the Ring
One Night Stand
Vengeance
UNFORGIVEN
No Mercy
Taboo Tuesday
Cyber Sunday
Breaking Point
Armageddon

and now, we have

Elimination Chamber
Extreme Rules
Over the Limit
Night of Champions
Fatal 4-Way
Money in the Bank
Hell in a Cell
Bragging Rights
TLC-Tables, Ladders & Chairs

Please share your thoughts on which PPV's would you keep and which ones you LOVE to bring back

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Which WWE PPV's would you LOVE to bring back?

Post by cero2k » Mar 5th, '11, 21:21

KOTR for sure, but i would also like to have back NWO and Backlash

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 6th, '11, 22:09

I liked Armaggeddon (I probably botched that spelling, but I'm tired so I don't care) for my own little reasons... lol. I like that 2008 was the last year they had it (or so I think... let me have this one guys :P) and have it close off with Jeff winning the WWE Title. Puts a smile on my face whenever I think about it.

So that one can stay defunct. I liked Backlash, and I think Over The Limit sounds like a stupid PPV name. But other than that I don't really care. :P

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Mar 11th, '11, 20:15

King of the Ring absolutely...

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mar 11th, '11, 20:51

I'd also love to see KOTR brought back as a PPV. Who doesn't love a good tournament!?

I'd love to see them bring back one of the major WCW PPV's, like they did with The Great American Bash. I'd like to see that (GAB) or Starrcade return. Especially if they nix Survivor Series from their lineup, either of those two would be a fitting replacement for one of the "Big 4".

womenwrestlerfan
Future Endeavored

Post by womenwrestlerfan » Jul 17th, '11, 02:11

Definately bring back No Way Out, Backlash, Judgment Day, Vengeance, Unforgiven, No Mercy and Armageddon

and yes, King of the Ring definately needs to come back to PPV as well and they need to go back to doin' once a month instead of having 13, 14, 15 or even 16 PPV's b/c IMO, as they say on The Price is Right:

THAT'S TOO MUCH!!

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jul 17th, '11, 07:52

REBELLION! that and insurexxion. those uk pay per views made us feel appreciated, rather than the gimmick filled monday night raw and smackdown we get twice a year where we get patronised and mocked anyway

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 17th, '11, 11:50

I don't give a crap what the name of the show is, as long as the show is a good one.

The gimmick PPVs like Hell in a Cell and Elimination Chamber however are crappy ideas. Even Survivor Series is a bad idea, I think. Royal Rumble is the only good one, and King of the Ring was a great idea as well.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 17th, '11, 12:09

yourcrapsweak wrote:I don't give a crap what the name of the show is, as long as the show is a good one.
while this is true, there are some shows that by name alone would have some sort of theme. No Mercy was about boiling points in feuds, unforgiving was usually about getting revenge on someone, NWO was about "i'm finally getting my hands on you". Backlash was that, the backlash of WM. So the name does have little effect on the show

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 17th, '11, 12:37

cero2k wrote:
yourcrapsweak wrote:I don't give a crap what the name of the show is, as long as the show is a good one.
while this is true, there are some shows that by name alone would have some sort of theme. No Mercy was about boiling points in feuds, unforgiving was usually about getting revenge on someone, NWO was about "i'm finally getting my hands on you". Backlash was that, the backlash of WM. So the name does have little effect on the show
But most of those things made the show predictable. The name of the show shouldn't determine the angle, it should be the other way around. It's like "okay in October we have No Mercy, so we have to have you guys be at a boiling point." It should be like "okay you're at your boiling point now, so the next show will be called No Mercy."
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 17th, '11, 12:44

yourcrapsweak wrote:
cero2k wrote:
But most of those things made the show predictable. The name of the show shouldn't determine the angle, it should be the other way around. It's like "okay in October we have No Mercy, so we have to have you guys be at a boiling point." It should be like "okay you're at your boiling point now, so the next show will be called No Mercy."
that works for promotions that need only to promote such and such show AT such and such place, kinda like ROH promotes a show somewhere and after that they call it something. But WWE can't really work that way, they need to promote the name of the show beforehand and try to make that name something that sells for itself

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 17th, '11, 14:26

cero2k wrote:
But in all of your examples except for Backlash (which is calendar-based, not angle-based), this isn't any more true than it is for ANY PPV.

How is Unforgiven's "I am going to get my revenge on you!" and different from Judgment Day's "I'm going to make you pay for what you have done!" and how are either of those any different from Vengeance?

They are just generic names.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 17th, '11, 14:33

cero2k wrote:
yourcrapsweak wrote:
cero2k wrote:
that works for promotions that need only to promote such and such show AT such and such place, kinda like ROH promotes a show somewhere and after that they call it something. But WWE can't really work that way, they need to promote the name of the show beforehand and try to make that name something that sells for itself[/quote]

So you use a generic name like "Wrestlemania" or "Bound For Glory" or "Glory By Honor." You don't push a feud in a certain direction just because you want to do a theme PPV.

When you are at the level of WWE (or even TNA), the name of the PPV is mostly irrelevant. It is the name of the promotion and the concept of the PPV (which we have all been conditioned to view as major moments/blowoffs... which is why we are willing to pay for them) that sells. Indy shows need cooler names because that helps sell the show in a way that a name like "Ring of Honor" or "Combat Zone Wrestling" or "Regional Wrestling Federation" can't (I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with these names, I'm just saying that ROH and CZW and all of the rest don't have the name recognition to be able to sell shows just off of that.).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 17th, '11, 14:39

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
But in all of your examples except for Backlash (which is calendar-based, not angle-based), this isn't any more true than it is for ANY PPV.

How is Unforgiven's "I am going to get my revenge on you!" and different from Judgment Day's "I'm going to make you pay for what you have done!" and how are either of those any different from Vengeance?

They are just generic names.
true, that is just how generic wrestling is. it's easy to link stories up with PPV names. ROH has Final Battle, TNA does Tuning Point, or Against All Odds, WWE used to do No Mercy or Unforgiving.

going back to the original point, it's ok to consider bringin in back PPV names, if those names come with a little something on the side. it's like bringing back Halloween Havok, it's just a name, but it suggest a halloween theme, gimmicks and such.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 17th, '11, 14:53

Big Red Machine wrote: When you are at the level of WWE (or even TNA), the name of the PPV is mostly irrelevant. It is the name of the promotion and the concept of the PPV (which we have all been conditioned to view as major moments/blowoffs... which is why we are willing to pay for them) that sells. Indy shows need cooler names because that helps sell the show in a way that a name like "Ring of Honor" or "Combat Zone Wrestling" or "Regional Wrestling Federation" can't (I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with these names, I'm just saying that ROH and CZW and all of the rest don't have the name recognition to be able to sell shows just off of that.).
I disagree on this. For WWE and TNA, PPV names are most important, because not everyone pays 40+ dlls for a PPV, yet the name recognition of a Wrestlemania or Summerslam sell tickets by themselves. Summerslam usually sucks, but the simple name will make a lot of people buy it, same with WM, just because the name is related to big WWE shows that make history. In TNA it's a bit harder, since not even the TNA fans tend to recognize what's the best show, since they all tend to suck, but still, you may be more interested in Destination X, HardCORE Justice, or Lockdown for what the name implies.

However, on an Indy show, you don't really need to have an amazing name to sell. If ROH were to come to El Paso, TX, or to College Park, MD. You and me would be there hands down, we probably wouldn't care what the card is or whether it was an iPPV or a TV taping. Indy's rely on their card and the star power they bring to the show, and not the name of the show.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 17th, '11, 15:30

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: When you are at the level of WWE (or even TNA), the name of the PPV is mostly irrelevant. It is the name of the promotion and the concept of the PPV (which we have all been conditioned to view as major moments/blowoffs... which is why we are willing to pay for them) that sells. Indy shows need cooler names because that helps sell the show in a way that a name like "Ring of Honor" or "Combat Zone Wrestling" or "Regional Wrestling Federation" can't (I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with these names, I'm just saying that ROH and CZW and all of the rest don't have the name recognition to be able to sell shows just off of that.).
I disagree on this. For WWE and TNA, PPV names are most important, because not everyone pays 40+ dlls for a PPV, yet the name recognition of a Wrestlemania or Summerslam sell tickets by themselves. Summerslam usually sucks, but the simple name will make a lot of people buy it, same with WM, just because the name is related to big WWE shows that make history. In TNA it's a bit harder, since not even the TNA fans tend to recognize what's the best show, since they all tend to suck, but still, you may be more interested in Destination X, HardCORE Justice, or Lockdown for what the name implies.
There are two different factors at work here. Lockdown and Hardcore Justice were/are gimmick PPVs. Destination X has a history of being gimmicky as well (they always tried to include something, even if for no other reason than to have it). With Mania, SummerSlam, Slammiversary, BFG, Lockdown, etc, we know that these are big shows because they have always been treated as such. They are never thrown away, and we have been conditioned to think that these shows will be important. They have history behind them. Sure, some Summer Slams suck, but Summer Slam has also seen Bret vs. Davey Boy, Bret and Owen's (overrated) cage match, HBK's return to the ring, the Brilliant finish to the WWE Title match in 1997, TLC, Rock vs. Triple H vs. Angle, and many other great matches and moments. We buy Summer Slam because we know that it will likely have a great moment. We know that Summer Slam is where feuds either start, take major turns, or blow-off. The same with Mania. The same with BFG. A casual fan won't know this, but if he wants to spend the money, he will see the WWE logo on it. It won't matter to him if it is Summer Slam or if it is the PPV after it (Mania is different, but that is because it was the first, and it is THE supercard of wrestling).
cero2k wrote:
However, on an Indy show, you don't really need to have an amazing name to sell. If ROH were to come to El Paso, TX, or to College Park, MD. You and me would be there hands down, we probably wouldn't care what the card is or whether it was an iPPV or a TV taping. Indy's rely on their card and the star power they bring to the show, and not the name of the show.
That's you and me. We are already fans (of both the promotion and indy wrestling). We know what ROH will deliver, and we know who Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Roderick Strong, El Generico, The Briscoe Brothers, Jimmy Jacobs, and The Kings Of Wrestling are. Casual fans don't. They will be more interested in names like Haas & Benjamin or Steve Corino. The match that got people in the door at The Era of Honor Begins wasn't Low Ki vs. Dragon vs. Daniels. It was Super Crazy vs. Eddie Guerrero. A casual fan is in this same situation. They don't know what ROH will deliver, and they don't know who most of the people on the card are. For them, a good name (like Death Before Dishonor or Arena Warfare or Night of the Grudges or Pick Your Poison) is important to sucking them in. Because really: Who, that hasn't heard of the promotion, is going to buy: Ring of Honor Wrestling presents: Respect Is Earned (especially when the only person on the show with any real mainstream exposure was Roderick Strong, and that was a total of 6 months on Impact, when it was still on for one hour at 11PM on Saturday night...and he was released over a year before the PPV aired!)?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation