The ROH vs WWE situation

Tell it to the world!!
Big Red Machine

Re: The ROH vs WWE situation

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 23rd, '15, 14:27

So... Dave reported that the chairman of New Japan, Tiger Hitori, and Gedo were all at the NXT show instead in of the ROH show. Also, Gabe Sapolsky and Sal Hamoui were there.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 23rd, '15, 16:50

Big Red Machine wrote:From WON/F4W:
This is an interesting one. The Brooklyn Cyclones will be holding WWE Night on 8/19, just three days before they host the ROH show, with Ryback, Fandango, Eva Marie and Charlotte appearing in a celebrity softball game and signing autographs. Also in the game will be John Franco, Chris Mullin and the hosts of Good Day New York.
there was news last week of a softball game where the briscoes and someone from WWE had a game, after further investigation, it was just patrick from tough enough

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 23rd, '15, 23:13

WON is reporting that Okada was backstage at Summer Slam (hanging out with his old buddy Samoa Joe).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 23rd, '15, 23:27

Big Red Machine wrote:WON is reporting that Okada was backstage at Summer Slam (hanging out with his old buddy Samoa Joe).
Joe and Okato together again

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 24th, '15, 01:16

cero2k wrote: Okato
Well... talking about mis-evaluating a talent.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 24th, '15, 08:43

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote: Okato
Well... talking about mis-evaluating a talent.
yeah, I can kinda understand TNA since Okada wasn't the man he is today was back then, and i'm guessing it was a similar situation as with Watannabe that they knew they had him, but probably weren't putting a lot of work into booking a young boy that he is eventually to return to japan anyway. What sucks is that this is what killed the TNA/NJPW relations and we all know that would be a good thing to have today.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 30th, '15, 23:49

For what it's worth, ROH's Atlanta venue's website had ROH listed for the night before Survivor Series (same market), but ROH announced their return date for Royal Rumble weekend 2016 (which would also be ROH backing off from running in the same market as the Rumble, which they have done the past two years.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 31st, '15, 10:10

For more conspiracy-related fun, the entirety of the WWN only has ONE show listed in its upcoming events section, the 9/4 SHINE show.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 22nd, '15, 07:49

Big Red Machine wrote:More fuel for the conspiracy fire:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVA1yq0i9mw[/youtube]

Why suspend Drew? Because if WWE is buying Evolve, they can't use someone with a TNA contract.
Well... apparently I was wrong about this because Drew is coming back at the November shows.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 23rd, '17, 09:49

i think it's worth bringing this up again. WWE is in talks with Sinclair about buying ROH. There's isn't a lot of news yet on it, but it could from just the tape library to the whole contracts.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 23rd, '17, 10:22

I... actually really don't have a problem with that. I'd be much happier with ROH being given to Jimmy Jacobs or someone like that to book rather than being allowed to continue losing its sole and turn into the new TNA for however long it takes for Sinclair to pull the plug. I'd rather they either be turned into a WWE developmental territory booked by someone who understands ROH (Jacobs, Whitmer, Nigel?... DRAGON?) or become the new version of ECW where it gets a rep as the place that created lots of talent and ran all of these awesome angles (which is totally true) and gets respected in WWE history as opposed to being buried like WCW (and, eventually, TNA). It's not like Gabe hasn't been positioning himself as the Heyman to Triple H's Vince for years, anyway, and this would just help solidify it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 23rd, '17, 10:28

Big Red Machine wrote:I... actually really don't have a problem with that. I'd be much happier with ROH being given to Jimmy Jacobs or someone like that to book rather than being allowed to continue losing its sole and turn into the new TNA for however long it takes for Sinclair to pull the plug. I'd rather they either be turned into a WWE developmental territory booked by someone who understands ROH (Jacobs, Whitmer, Nigel?... DRAGON?) or become the new version of ECW where it gets a rep as the place that created lots of talent and ran all of these awesome angles (which is totally true) and gets respected in WWE history as opposed to being buried like WCW (and, eventually, TNA). It's not like Gabe hasn't been positioning himself as the Heyman to Triple H's Vince for years, anyway, and this would just help solidify it.

which comes with the HUGE assumption that WWE just doesn't kill ROH and uses the videos/contracts to pump up NXT and their network. I honestly don't think WWE could care any less about keeping the ROH name alive

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 23rd, '17, 11:03

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:I... actually really don't have a problem with that. I'd be much happier with ROH being given to Jimmy Jacobs or someone like that to book rather than being allowed to continue losing its sole and turn into the new TNA for however long it takes for Sinclair to pull the plug. I'd rather they either be turned into a WWE developmental territory booked by someone who understands ROH (Jacobs, Whitmer, Nigel?... DRAGON?) or become the new version of ECW where it gets a rep as the place that created lots of talent and ran all of these awesome angles (which is totally true) and gets respected in WWE history as opposed to being buried like WCW (and, eventually, TNA). It's not like Gabe hasn't been positioning himself as the Heyman to Triple H's Vince for years, anyway, and this would just help solidify it.

which comes with the HUGE assumption that WWE just doesn't kill ROH and uses the videos/contracts to pump up NXT and their network. I honestly don't think WWE could care any less about keeping the ROH name alive

And like I said, I'd be fine with ROH getting a dignified death rather than becoming TNA, too.
I think there is a bit too much (undamaged) name value in ROH for WWE to want to close it down, plus keeping it for themselves as a promotion that runs more dates than pretty much any other American or Canadian company aside from WWE, hurts New Japan by both taking ROH away and using it as higher name-value competition for whoever New Japan might try to partner with next.
Also- and I don't know Vince doesn't think this way but I think that there is reason to believe that Hunter does due to the attention that has been paid to the various assistant bookers at NXT (first Naylor and then Ward)- a territory the size of ROH doesn't just have to be developmental for in-ring talent. It's a place you can test out a booker as well.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 23rd, '17, 11:21

Big Red Machine wrote:And like I said, I'd be fine with ROH getting a dignified death rather than becoming TNA, too.
I think there is a bit too much (undamaged) name value in ROH for WWE to want to close it down, plus keeping it for themselves as a promotion that runs more dates than pretty much any other American or Canadian company aside from WWE, hurts New Japan by both taking ROH away and using it as higher name-value competition for whoever New Japan might try to partner with next.
Also- and I don't know Vince doesn't think this way but I think that there is reason to believe that Hunter does due to the attention that has been paid to the various assistant bookers at NXT (first Naylor and then Ward)- a territory the size of ROH doesn't just have to be developmental for in-ring talent. It's a place you can test out a booker as well.

but it's still the same thing, if you think ROH has potential to develop people, then you send them to the performance center as trainer or NXT as wrestlers/bookers. And even then, they already have EVOLVE/PROGRESS/ICW in their pocket to a certain point to fetch indie wrestlers. ROH would be a great addition to the network, but i don't think they'd want to continue it alive, especially since Sinclair would likely remove it from TV once they don't own it. I think they'd be a biggest chance to close it off, then do a one Night Stand 5 yrs from now and make it a nostalgia show.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 23rd, '17, 19:43

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:And like I said, I'd be fine with ROH getting a dignified death rather than becoming TNA, too.

but it's still the same thing, if you think ROH has potential to develop people, then you send them to the performance center as trainer or NXT as wrestlers/bookers. And even then, they already have EVOLVE/PROGRESS/ICW in their pocket to a certain point to fetch indie wrestlers. ROH would be a great addition to the network, but i don't think they'd want to continue it alive, especially since Sinclair would likely remove it from TV once they don't own it. I think they'd be a biggest chance to close it off, then do a one Night Stand 5 yrs from now and make it a nostalgia show.

But you can only have so many bookers in one place. NXT has always worked better than the main roster because it was always just one or two people doing most of the work. ROH is the closest there is to an NXT-level thing. And, if I were them and I was buying ROH, I would suck up a chunk of the talent and basically have 205 Live replace ROH and become another WWE touring brand, separate from the main roster aside from spots on the Big Four shows, running it's own quarterly PPVs.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 24th, '17, 09:26

from Meltz

Ring of Honor COO Joe Koff had a statement sent to current ROH talent noting that WWE was having conversations with Sinclair Broadcast Group about licensing old footage that likely features current talent on the WWE roster per a report by The Wrestling Observer.
A report by Pro Wrestling Sheet had made the rounds in the last 24 hours indicating that WWE was having discussions with Sinclair about “secretly purchasing” ROH. Sources in ROH have denied these reports. A report by PWInsider.com did indicate that WWE may have had interest in carrying the weekly ROH show as part of the WWE Network, something WWE had even included in recent questionnaires to current subscribers of the network.
Koff has publicly stated he was open to WWE licensing ROH related material if it was the right deal to make at the time. WWE has worked with Sinclair in the past to use footage featuring talents such as former WWE star CM Punk. With forthcoming releases scheduled involving Seth Rollins and Kevin Owens, it would seem to indicate that the statement Koff had sent to talent would be in relation to this.