Michael Cole: Time to move away from announcing?

Tell it to the world!!
kiel297

Michael Cole: Time to move away from announcing?

Post by kiel297 » Feb 24th, '11, 09:01

I am one of the few that has always thought that Michael Cole is good at calling a wrestling match. He might have some annoying phrases, like shouting Vintage all the time, but it works for the point he's trying to get across. The problem with Cole now, is that he is no longer just an announcer. He's an on-screen talent and is being used as such rather than to just call matches.

Since the introduction of the anonymous RAW general manager, Michael Cole has taken on a heel persona, and has been able to draw more heat with a single sentence than a lot of guys have in a whole promo. When Cole takes the microphone and asks for everybody's attention, the boos become deafening. But is it good for an announcer to have so much heat and to be such an important catalyst in storylines such as The Miz vs Jerry Lawler? Sure, Jerry's a commentator, but he's also a wrestler, so using him in matches and storylines is fine, because everyone knows that he was a wrestler first, and announcer second. But would he be good as a play by play announcer while having such a large involvement with the storylines? Not at all.

That is because Jerry Lawler isn't impartial, and neither is Michael Cole. You look at all the great wrestling play by play guys. Sure they're faces, but they're impartial when calling the action. Michael Cole is hugely biased, and it doesn't make for good announcing. That is why I think it's time for Michael Cole to step away from the announce table entirely, and become an on screen character, just like Vince McMahon did.

Let's face it. Even for those who hate him on commentary, he would be a great heel authority figure. He could have some great non-wrestling fueds with some of the top babyfaces on RAW, and he could finally take his revenge on those who have tormented him over the years. Even if he weren't to be an authority figure, he'd make a brilliant manager for someone like The Miz!

Cole's moving away from the announce table would not only benefit him though. It'd benefit another WWE employee who is incredibly talented at what he does and never fails to impress. Josh Matthews is probably the best play by play announcer currently in WWE, but the only time he ever gets to shine on RAW is when either Michael Cole or King are unable to announce that night. I'd rather hear Josh Matthews as the voice of WWE than Michael Cole at the moment, because Josh Matthews actually calls the matches. He fights over Michael Cole's noise in order to call a match well, and he never fails to because he is simply good at what he does.

So is it time for Michael Cole to hang up the headset in exchange for something better for all of us? Yes, that time is now. With Michael Cole in a more prominent on-camera role, and Josh Matthews calling the action alongside Jerry Lawler, Monday Night Raw would certainly benefit hugely, and 2011 would continue to be the year that WWE became good again.

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Re: Michael Cole: Time to move away from announcing?

Post by Lynas » Feb 24th, '11, 09:14

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 26th, '11, 12:28

I'm with Lynas. Cole needs to step away and Matthews needs a chance to shine. He's a good little announcer and needs to be used as such, where Cole just gets annoying with his constant Miz praise and bashing on everyone else. >.<

womenwrestlerfan
Future Endeavored

Post by womenwrestlerfan » Mar 7th, '11, 21:20

You know what?

RAW hasn't been the same w/o Jim Ross and I'm not too fond of Josh Mathews being the main RAW Commentator, I mean sure he was OK on Saturday Night Velocity, but to me, RAW isn't his cup of tea

and as for Michael Cole, ever since he moved to RAW in the Summer of 2008, he has not been the same, even his heel antics are SO lame

I would rather have Jim Ross and Jerry "The King' Lawler over Michael Cole and Josh Mathews ANYDAY

and to me, Michael Cole has become the Ryan Seacrest of the WWE

OVERRATED, IMO