The Funny Wrestling Topic

Tell it to the world!!

User avatar
Bob-O
Posts: 2329
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 06:06
Favorite Wrestler: King Kong Bundy
Location: Erie, Pa

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Bob-O » Oct 10th, '18, 07:55

I'm laughing at the irony...

...but I'm also sad. A little frustrated. Somewhat angry. Kind of hungry...




To be fair, WCW was using their "dinosaurs" weekly as top guys. But still, I think WWE should be slightly on blast for this.
Image

User avatar
NWK2000
Posts: 526
Joined: Feb 26th, '14, 00:52
Favorite Wrestler: Bad News Barrett

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 10th, '18, 11:51

Bob-O wrote:
Oct 10th, '18, 07:55
I'm laughing at the irony...

...but I'm also sad. A little frustrated. Somewhat angry. Kind of hungry...




To be fair, WCW was using their "dinosaurs" weekly as top guys. But still, I think WWE should be slightly on blast for this.
And those guys were utilized as attractions. Piper didn't wrestle again until 1996 and he was used in a gimmick match against Goldust, and Lawler's biggest feud, against Hart, was semi-main at best
Up next on NWK Reviews
Wrestlerock 1986
Terry Funk's Wrestlefest
TNA Bound for Glory 2009
Super J Cup 1994
Summerslam 2003

User avatar
Bob-O
Posts: 2329
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 06:06
Favorite Wrestler: King Kong Bundy
Location: Erie, Pa

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Bob-O » Oct 10th, '18, 12:06

NWK2000 wrote:
Oct 10th, '18, 11:51
And those guys were utilized as attractions. Piper didn't wrestle again until 1996 and he was used in a gimmick match against Goldust, and Lawler's biggest feud, against Hart, was semi-main at best
Right, but in 2018; Trips, Taker, HBK, and Kane should also be semi-main event. No excuse for that beyond holding their people back and blowing big matchups on weekly tv.
Image

User avatar
NWK2000
Posts: 526
Joined: Feb 26th, '14, 00:52
Favorite Wrestler: Bad News Barrett

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 10th, '18, 14:48

Bob-O wrote:
Oct 10th, '18, 12:06
NWK2000 wrote:
Oct 10th, '18, 11:51
And those guys were utilized as attractions. Piper didn't wrestle again until 1996 and he was used in a gimmick match against Goldust, and Lawler's biggest feud, against Hart, was semi-main at best
Right, but in 2018; Trips, Taker, HBK, and Kane should also be semi-main event. No excuse for that beyond holding their people back and blowing big matchups on weekly tv.
IThe difference Lawler/Piper and BoD/DX is that you can probably count on one hand the amount of people who have eclipsed Taker, Kane, HBK, Triple H, and DX as a unit in terms of brand recognition. Piper you could say had that drawing power at one point, but that was because he was a perfect foil to Hogan, and didn't draw super great by himself, at least on the national stage . On the national stage Lawler had very little name recognition at this point, but he was probably the best heel promo in the company at the time so that justified his placement in the main event of KotR

Also I think fans confuse the concept of using big legends as attractions every now and again, and the fallacy that WCW/TNA fell into which is milk legends dry of their drawing power by using them week to week for years on TV, winning championships and the like. Taker and Trips wrestle every couple of months now, but Trips is such a good heel foil for emerging babyfaces (Seth, Bryan) and still looks good in the ring so how can you not? With Taker I feel like unless he's taking championships from guys like Seth, fans will always be happy to see him. HBK hasn't been back in 10 years, and Kane is in the "fans are always happy to see them" category but not as much as Taker

As a conclusive aside as well, if you have big stars you can use in a rarely-visited market to up your event attendance and thus up the money you make as a company , you do. Basic economics.
Up next on NWK Reviews
Wrestlerock 1986
Terry Funk's Wrestlefest
TNA Bound for Glory 2009
Super J Cup 1994
Summerslam 2003

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 4231
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54
Favorite Wrestler: Idk
Location: Ocean Springs,MS.

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 10th, '18, 16:03

The Undertaker is reaching that severe body change aging period and it's not good to see at all. Out of all he looks the worst by far.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 20793
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '18, 16:17

NWK2000 wrote:
Oct 10th, '18, 14:48
Bob-O wrote:
Oct 10th, '18, 12:06
NWK2000 wrote:
Oct 10th, '18, 11:51
And those guys were utilized as attractions. Piper didn't wrestle again until 1996 and he was used in a gimmick match against Goldust, and Lawler's biggest feud, against Hart, was semi-main at best
Right, but in 2018; Trips, Taker, HBK, and Kane should also be semi-main event. No excuse for that beyond holding their people back and blowing big matchups on weekly tv.
IThe difference Lawler/Piper and BoD/DX is that you can probably count on one hand the amount of people who have eclipsed Taker, Kane, HBK, Triple H, and DX as a unit in terms of brand recognition. Piper you could say had that drawing power at one point, but that was because he was a perfect foil to Hogan, and didn't draw super great by himself, at least on the national stage . On the national stage Lawler had very little name recognition at this point, but he was probably the best heel promo in the company at the time so that justified his placement in the main event of KotR

Also I think fans confuse the concept of using big legends as attractions every now and again, and the fallacy that WCW/TNA fell into which is milk legends dry of their drawing power by using them week to week for years on TV, winning championships and the like. Taker and Trips wrestle every couple of months now, but Trips is such a good heel foil for emerging babyfaces (Seth, Bryan) and still looks good in the ring so how can you not? With Taker I feel like unless he's taking championships from guys like Seth, fans will always be happy to see him. HBK hasn't been back in 10 years, and Kane is in the "fans are always happy to see them" category but not as much as Taker
This.

NWK2000 wrote:
Oct 10th, '18, 14:48
As a conclusive aside as well, if you have big stars you can use in a rarely-visited market to up your event attendance and thus up the money you make as a company , you do. Basic economics.
The counter-argument to this is that if you go somewhere so rarely then people will how up just because it's their only chance to see the product live and you sticking legends on the show really won't do much.

In this case, however, it's all about these guys because they are what the prince wants and he's the one paying them an obscene amount of money.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
Beyond Flesh
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
NWK2000
Posts: 526
Joined: Feb 26th, '14, 00:52
Favorite Wrestler: Bad News Barrett

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 10th, '18, 16:28

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 10th, '18, 16:17
NWK2000 wrote:
Oct 10th, '18, 14:48
As a conclusive aside as well, if you have big stars you can use in a rarely-visited market to up your event attendance and thus up the money you make as a company , you do. Basic economics.
The counter-argument to this is that if you go somewhere so rarely then people will how up just because it's their only chance to see the product live and you sticking legends on the show really won't do much.

In this case, however, it's all about these guys because they are what the prince wants and he's the one paying them an obscene amount of money.
But then my counter argument to that is, "If you had the opportunity to insulate your card with legends and guarantee a situation that pleased fans and investors, why wouldn't you?" Any promoter that has the opportunity to stack their card in a new or above-average money making market and doesn't do that is an idiot.
Up next on NWK Reviews
Wrestlerock 1986
Terry Funk's Wrestlefest
TNA Bound for Glory 2009
Super J Cup 1994
Summerslam 2003

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 20793
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '18, 19:58

NWK2000 wrote:
Oct 10th, '18, 16:28
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 10th, '18, 16:17
NWK2000 wrote:
Oct 10th, '18, 14:48
As a conclusive aside as well, if you have big stars you can use in a rarely-visited market to up your event attendance and thus up the money you make as a company , you do. Basic economics.
The counter-argument to this is that if you go somewhere so rarely then people will how up just because it's their only chance to see the product live and you sticking legends on the show really won't do much.

In this case, however, it's all about these guys because they are what the prince wants and he's the one paying them an obscene amount of money.
But then my counter argument to that is, "If you had the opportunity to insulate your card with legends and guarantee a situation that pleased fans and investors, why wouldn't you?" Any promoter that has the opportunity to stack their card in a new or above-average money making market and doesn't do that is an idiot.
Unless you're deliberately testing what you can get away with in order to know how to budget your part-timers' appearances.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
Beyond Flesh
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 20793
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '18, 19:59

It also should be noted that a large part of the problem in WCW was that the old guys' presence on top was keeping potential new top stars down. That is not happening in WWE.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
Beyond Flesh
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 20793
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 11th, '18, 10:55

From the letters section of the May 26, 1994 Wrestling Observer Newsletter, with Dave Meltzer's printed reply:
The newsletter is great. This was the second best thing my girlfriend ever got me for my birthday. She hates all sports, but is amazed that you can come up with so much interesting material every week on the one thing she hates the most.

D.B. Cooper
North Olmsted, Ohio



DM: Second best? The best present has been known to lead to relatives staying at your house for a week several times a year for life and keep you from watching Japanese videotapes, particularly around Christmas when the tapes of the men's and women's tag team tournament finals arrive. Now I have a question. Where did you bury the money?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
Beyond Flesh
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 20793
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 17th, '18, 00:46

Howard Finkel attempts to cut a heel promo:
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
Beyond Flesh
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 20793
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 17th, '18, 01:01


OMFG that last bump was insane, but I also loved the one where Hunter purposely did Rock's Stunner bump.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
Beyond Flesh
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 20793
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 18th, '18, 21:19

Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
Beyond Flesh
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 16487
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by cero2k » Oct 18th, '18, 22:25

he piledrove himself into the hardest part of the ring, that's some njpw jr heavyweight shit right there

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests