AEW's Tony Khan responds with expletives to WWE running Labor Day weekend

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

AEW's Tony Khan responds with expletives to WWE running Labor Day weekend

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 5th, '22, 13:03

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/aews ... ay-weekend

Khan said that he is "not gonna sit back and take this f---ing s--t."

Ethan Renner
9 hours ago

Tony Khan has vowed not to "sit back and take this f---ing s--t" in response to WWE running two premium live events on Labor Day weekend.

Khan, AEW's owner, president, general manager, and head of creative, said that AEW's All Out pay-per-view on Sunday is trending in the same range as the company's other PPV event sales this year, but said that the company was also facing a "crowded marketplace" over the weekend, unlike in years past.

Khan at the post-All Out media scrum:

"There's a big difference between this year and last year. We were the first professional wrestling show and the only professional wrestling show on Labor Day weekend last year, and we were the third professional wrestling show of the weekend this year. I don't think that's a coincidence."

"When I talk about things I wasn't thrilled about, I was a little surprised we were the third professional wrestling show this weekend, and it's probably a little bit more challenging in the marketplace when it becomes a little more crowded."

"Our performance -- in prior years, we never had this kind of competition. This was kind of a first for us in AEW to see this kind of a crowded marketplace. I'm not sure if this is what we'll see from now on."

"I am very happy with the numbers we did, given the competition we had."

"The number is the number and I have to face the competition that is out there."

Khan likened WWE running a pair of events (Saturday's Clash at the Castle and Sunday's NXT Worlds Collide) over the weekend with WWE's promotional tactics with regards to rival Jim Crockett Promotions in the 1980s:

"When I compared myself to Jim Crockett Promotions this weekend, I think I got a taste of the same medicine Jim Crockett Promotions took, but I have a lot more f---ing money than Jim Crockett did."

"I'm serious. I'm not gonna sit back and take this f---ing s--t."

Khan also addressed his current relationship with WWE in answering a question regarding recent allegations of WWE tampering with AEW talent:

"I've had a number of interactions with [WWE]. I've said a lot of nice stuff, and I don't regret saying nice stuff because I'm super honest about pro wrestling. And when I saw good stuff there, I'll be the first to say it. I am just not feeling the same love. I don't want to get into it. I just haven't felt the same reciprocation from them."

"If it is, when the fight is brought, I will continue bringing fights of my own, and I have unique ways to do that. I have a lot of money to fight with."

"And this is not a game to me. This is my life, and I don't think it's a joke, and I take it really seriously."

In comparing All Out to June's Forbidden Door show, Khan said that the show is trending higher domestically, meaning higher revenue for AEW due to a higher price point in the domestic market than internationally:

"It's pretty similar to the other pay-per-views this year. Forbidden Door was an unprecedented success, and the biggest debut in AEW pay-per-view history. A lot of the [Forbidden Door] buys were international, and the price point is obviously a little bit lower on international."

"I think [All Out] would be more total buys [than Forbidden Door] and a higher domestic percentage, so the revenue would be significantly higher than Forbidden Door."

"This year will be the biggest year in AEW's history for pay-per-view revenue by far. It won't even be close. Even with Full Gear to come, I'm quite confident this will be our all-time high for pay-per-view revenue."
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: AEW's Tony Khan responds with expletives to WWE running Labor Day weekend

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 5th, '22, 13:15

And crazy Tony is back again!

Dude...
Neither of those shows was anywhere near the same market as you. One of them was on a different day ON A DIFFERENT CONTINENT!

"How dare that f*cking Giant Baba run opposition to Vince by running his Champions' Carnival on the same day as WrestleMania III!"

It's not even like it's a money issue, because WWE's shows were both on a streaming service that most people are likely paying for anyway, and they can watch them on demand later, so there is no time conflict, either!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3