Ric Flair currently training for in-ring return

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Ric Flair currently training for in-ring return

Post by cero2k » May 14th, '22, 07:07

src: https://www.f4wonline.com/news/other-wr ... ing-return

Ric Flair is returning to the ring.

Dave Meltzer is reporting that Flair, 73, is training to wrestle again for the first time since 2011.

“Ric Flair is training to wrestle again,” Meltzer writes. “The stories about his return are accurate.”

Additionally, on Wrestling Observer Radio, Meltzer mentioned "rumor has it" that the match may be Ric Flair and FTR against The Rock 'n' Roll Express and "somebody".

Flair hasn’t wrestled since 2011, when Sting defeated Flair on an episode of Impact Wrestling. Although he did do matches during a Hulkamania tour in Australia and Impact Wrestling, his in-ring career largely ended after 2008, when Shawn Michaels defeated Flair at WrestleMania 24 in a retirement match.

In recent weeks on social media, Flair has posted video of himself training with AEW star Jay Lethal.

“Like I Said- It’s All About The Fundamentals,” he wrote earlier today. “If You Can’t Punch, You Can’t Kick, You Can’t Work! WOOOOO!”

Flair left WWE in 2021 and made a few appearances post-WWE, including at AAA’s Triplemania XXIX event and NWA’s 73rd Anniversary last year. He has not made any high profile appearances since an episode of Dark Side of the Ring aired in September regarding the Plane Ride From Hell incident, where a flight attendant accused Flair of sexual assault. Flair denied the allegations.

Big Red Machine

Re: Ric Flair currently training for in-ring return

Post by Big Red Machine » May 14th, '22, 19:03

This doesn't seem like a good idea.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » May 15th, '22, 12:18

at 73? Jesus.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 15th, '22, 16:52

XIV wrote: May 15th, '22, 12:18at 73? Jesus.

He's been watching that AAA tournament with Canek as was like "I can do better"

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » May 15th, '22, 18:27

Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '22, 19:03 This doesn't seem like a good idea.
My mom and I were having this talk today too. I feel like he’ll take one back drop and fall apart like he was made of Lego. Or no one is going to want to wrestle him and a) lose to a 73 year old man or b) kill him by accident.

XIV

Post by XIV » May 16th, '22, 23:21

Serujuunin wrote: May 15th, '22, 18:27
My mom and I were having this talk today too. I feel like he’ll take one back drop and fall apart like he was made of Lego. Or no one is going to want to wrestle him and a) lose to a 73 year old man or b) kill him by accident.
Worse than this, look at that video with Jay Lethal, Jay looked scared to touch him, it makes the whole thing look ridiculous.

How many health issues has Ric had in the last 5 years? Is he that hard up for money or is he just that addicted?

I can’t see AEW or WWE entertaining this at this point, even ROH or NWA are unlikely to touch this, so where will he do it? Some outlaw indy mud show?

Terrible that this could be happening.
Have A Nice Day!

XIV

Post by XIV » May 16th, '22, 23:23

cero2k wrote: May 15th, '22, 16:52
XIV wrote: May 15th, '22, 12:18at 73? Jesus.

He's been watching that AAA tournament with Canek as was like "I can do better"
Well… he can’t. I’m sure of that.
Probably a bit of Vince doing bits at 76 or whatever he is. Learn from Vince’s stunner sell that you just can’t move how you want to at 73 after weightlifting and wrestling for 50+ years.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 17th, '22, 07:58

Yup. No one wants to be the guy who accidentally killed the greatest of all time.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » May 17th, '22, 15:01

XIV wrote: May 16th, '22, 23:21
Worse than this, look at that video with Jay Lethal, Jay looked scared to touch him, it makes the whole thing look ridiculous.

How many health issues has Ric had in the last 5 years? Is he that hard up for money or is he just that addicted?

I can’t see AEW or WWE entertaining this at this point, even ROH or NWA are unlikely to touch this, so where will he do it? Some outlaw indy mud show?

Maybe a bit of both? It doesn’t seem implausible you me after all the years he spent in the spotlight that he’s having some withdrawal from the glory and attention, and I’m sure dealing with all his health issues isn’t cheap.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 17th, '22, 16:52

Serujuunin wrote: May 17th, '22, 15:01
XIV wrote: May 16th, '22, 23:21

Maybe a bit of both? It doesn’t seem implausible you me after all the years he spent in the spotlight that he’s having some withdrawal from the glory and attention, and I’m sure dealing with all his health issues isn’t cheap.
I assume it's more the former than the latter. If it was money, he would have just stayed with WWE.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Thelone

Post by Thelone » May 17th, '22, 19:23

Big Red Machine wrote: May 17th, '22, 16:52I assume it's more the former than the latter. If it was money, he would have just stayed with WWE.
I don't think that was in the cards after the DSOTR episode on the Plane ride from Hell. WWE not wanting to deal with the bad press and aftermath is probably why Flair was let go before the show aired.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » May 17th, '22, 22:13

Thelone wrote: May 17th, '22, 19:23
Big Red Machine wrote: May 17th, '22, 16:52I assume it's more the former than the latter. If it was money, he would have just stayed with WWE.
I don't think that was in the cards after the DSOTR episode on the Plane ride from Hell. WWE not wanting to deal with the bad press and aftermath is probably why Flair was let go before the show aired.
Part of me wonders if this is going to be a Hulk Hogan-esque situation, where they'll bring him back when they think we've all forgotten about it.

Thelone

Post by Thelone » May 18th, '22, 05:13

Serujuunin wrote: May 17th, '22, 22:13Part of me wonders if this is going to be a Hulk Hogan-esque situation, where they'll bring him back when they think we've all forgotten about it.
I feel like attempted sexual assault with the victim herself relating the event will be much harder to shake off (if not impossible) than a racist tirade in a private setting that ended up on tape.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 18th, '22, 23:37

Man don't nobody care about that old ass man. Talkin' about got dang man...go on now.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

XIV

Post by XIV » May 19th, '22, 02:17

Well, in answer to my own question, it'll be for Jim Crockett promotions. It'll be a nostalgia thing, I won't watch. Hopefully it'll just be a quick gratuitous 3 minute thing, get in, hit some chops on a local guy, a figure four and either a tap-out there or one bump to have Ric get beat.
Have A Nice Day!

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » May 19th, '22, 16:55

Thelone wrote: May 18th, '22, 05:13
Serujuunin wrote: May 17th, '22, 22:13Part of me wonders if this is going to be a Hulk Hogan-esque situation, where they'll bring him back when they think we've all forgotten about it.
I feel like attempted sexual assault with the victim herself relating the event will be much harder to shake off (if not impossible) than a racist tirade in a private setting that ended up on tape.
This is absolutely true, but there's been a trend in the world the last few years that horrible things people have done have been forgotten, not because there was remorse or forgiveness, but that something else happened to draw the collective ire (I don't mean in wrestling, just in general).

Thelone

Post by Thelone » May 20th, '22, 09:15

Serujuunin wrote: May 19th, '22, 16:55This is absolutely true, but there's been a trend in the world the last few years that horrible things people have done have been forgotten, not because there was remorse or forgiveness, but that something else happened to draw the collective ire (I don't mean in wrestling, just in general).
If we're staying in the pro wrestling world, I can't think of many people who were shunned for a while after a scandal and then came back with open arms besides Hogan. Yes, there are a few who only got a slap on the wrist no matter what they allegedly did (Ospreay, Lethal, Allin, Chase Owens, ...), but most people who got hit by Speaking Out are still nowhere to be seen two years later. Scurll is one of the few who came back and he's only working obscure mexican/european indies.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 20th, '22, 11:07

Both the allegations and the return were pre-SpeakingOut, but Dan Maff also falls into this category, doesn't he?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Thelone

Post by Thelone » May 21st, '22, 11:21

Big Red Machine wrote: May 20th, '22, 11:07 Both the allegations and the return were pre-SpeakingOut, but Dan Maff also falls into this category, doesn't he?
I was trying to find someone more high profile, but sure that works, although hasn't the story been so muddied up over the years that no one really knows for sure what actually happened anymore? I guess that's what could happen with the "lesser" Speaking Out stories for example, but that seems less likely in the days of widespread social media where you'll always have some people going "Remember when..." the second someone is starting to gain any kind of momentum. I mean, didn't this shit that got Kendrick in trouble with AEW happen a decade ago?

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » May 23rd, '22, 15:45

Thelone wrote: May 20th, '22, 09:15
Serujuunin wrote: May 19th, '22, 16:55This is absolutely true, but there's been a trend in the world the last few years that horrible things people have done have been forgotten, not because there was remorse or forgiveness, but that something else happened to draw the collective ire (I don't mean in wrestling, just in general).
If we're staying in the pro wrestling world, I can't think of many people who were shunned for a while after a scandal and then came back with open arms besides Hogan. Yes, there are a few who only got a slap on the wrist no matter what they allegedly did (Ospreay, Lethal, Allin, Chase Owens, ...), but most people who got hit by Speaking Out are still nowhere to be seen two years later. Scurll is one of the few who came back and he's only working obscure mexican/european indies.
That’s a fair statement, but I feel like if there’s anyone around with star power like Hogan to get him off the hook, it’d be Flair.