Second AEW TV show expected to launch by end of 2020

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Post Reply
User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 19839
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32

Second AEW TV show expected to launch by end of 2020

Post by cero2k » Aug 31st, '20, 12:43

Src: https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/seco ... 020-318966

In January, AEW announced an extension of their deal with WarnerMedia through 2023 that called for an addtional hour-long TV show to be created.

But with the pandemic, the company has had to figure out ways to keep producing Dynamite and Dark on a weekly basis and things have been quiet on the new show front. On the Sunday edition of Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer confirmed the show is still in the works and expected to launch before the end of 2020.

At the time, the idea was the hour would be taped on Wednesday nights and would air on another night. The destination was thought to be TNT, but could be another one of the various Turner broadcast networks or even the HBO Max streaming service that is owned by WarnerMedia.

The four year extension is worth $175 million, just under $45 million per year. It gives WarnerMedia an option for 2024 at a significantly increased price.
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 25261
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: Second AEW TV show expected to launch by end of 2020

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 31st, '20, 13:30

Taping on Wednesday nights makes sense financially, but I'd worry about crowd burnout if you're also keeping Dark. If they've got the money, I think it might make sense to tape this and Dark together on Thursday instead (and it will add another gate each week).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Northern Gate
CHIKARA Hot Off the Griddle

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 19839
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32

Re: Second AEW TV show expected to launch by end of 2020

Post by cero2k » Aug 31st, '20, 14:10

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 31st, '20, 13:30 Taping on Wednesday nights makes sense financially, but I'd worry about crowd burnout if you're also keeping Dark. If they've got the money, I think it might make sense to tape this and Dark together on Thursday instead (and it will add another gate each week).
I think their current schedule is taping both wednesday and thursday, a dynamite/dark a day, every other week. They could really just start doing it every week now. I also don't think that Dark needs 13 matches per show, even if they're squashes, they can lower that number and use some matches for the new hour
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 25261
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: Second AEW TV show expected to launch by end of 2020

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 31st, '20, 14:59

cero2k wrote: Aug 31st, '20, 14:10
Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 31st, '20, 13:30 Taping on Wednesday nights makes sense financially, but I'd worry about crowd burnout if you're also keeping Dark. If they've got the money, I think it might make sense to tape this and Dark together on Thursday instead (and it will add another gate each week).
I think their current schedule is taping both wednesday and thursday, a dynamite/dark a day, every other week. They could really just start doing it every week now. I also don't think that Dark needs 13 matches per show, even if they're squashes, they can lower that number and use some matches for the new hour
I assume that all of the squashes on Dark are there for the reason of padding certain people's records and therefore necessary. Based on what they've done with Dynamite so far, they don't seem like they want squashes on a "main" show.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Northern Gate
CHIKARA Hot Off the Griddle

User avatar
XIV
Posts: 1358
Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 11:38

Re: Second AEW TV show expected to launch by end of 2020

Post by XIV » Sep 1st, '20, 23:01

Right now, the roster is not big enough for this unless they’re dropping Dark, but Dark serves its purpose for trying out new things without damaging ratings with immediate feedback available in the form of comments.

WCW tried a second show; and it’s roster was even more stacked and that didn’t work out at all. Even though this one will only be an hour, AEW aren’t big enough at this point to be running a Heat/Velocity/Main Event style show that will actually get ratings.
Have A Nice Day!

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 19839
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32

Re: Second AEW TV show expected to launch by end of 2020

Post by cero2k » Sep 2nd, '20, 08:09

XIV wrote: Sep 1st, '20, 23:01 Right now, the roster is not big enough for this unless they’re dropping Dark, but Dark serves its purpose for trying out new things without damaging ratings with immediate feedback available in the form of comments.

WCW tried a second show; and it’s roster was even more stacked and that didn’t work out at all. Even though this one will only be an hour, AEW aren’t big enough at this point to be running a Heat/Velocity/Main Event style show that will actually get ratings.
if people complain that there's not enough time for women on Dynamite and we rarely see guys like Jack Evans on it too, I think there is enough roster for it. Dark is 60% indie jobbers anyway.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests