Sammy Guevara suspended from AEW following inappropriate comment

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Sammy Guevara suspended from AEW following inappropriate comment

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 23rd, '20, 08:29

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/samm ... ent-313886

By Bryan Rose | @br26 | Jun 22, 2020 1:35 pm

Sammy Guevara has been suspended by AEW based on inappropriate remarks from a 2016 podcast appearance.

AEW issued the following statement this afternoon:

AEW insists on doing our part to create a world of understanding and respect for humankind. We therefore strongly condemn the extremely offensive and hurtful words of Sammy Guevara. As such, effective immediately, Sammy is suspended without pay until further notice. Sammy has agreed to undergo extensive sensitivity training and, upon completion, his future status with the company will be re-evaluated.

During his suspension, his salary will be donated to the Women’s Center of Jacksonville.

During a podcast appearance in 2016, Guevara was asked about Sasha Banks during a discussion about his tryout at the WWE Performance Center. He said "I wanted to go f**kin' rape that woman."

Guevara has since apologized on Twitter, writing: “I’ve made stupid, inappropriate and extremely offensive comments in my past. In my idiotic mind, I thought I was being funny in using words and terms that represent nothing but horror and pain. I am truly sorry for my hurtful words and actions, and I will never forgive myself.”

Banks responded to the apology on Twitter, saying Sammy had contacted her and they had an open discussion, writing: "We have to hold ourselves accountable for our actions and the words we say, and I hope this situation shows him that.”
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: Sammy Guevara suspended from AEW following inappropriate comment

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 23rd, '20, 08:30

I'm very mixed on this, as Sammy pretty clearly handled his apology the right way, was proactive about it, and it was something from several years ago. Doesn't make it right, but I thought he handled it better than just about anyone else has in this situation and I'm a little worried about precedent.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 23rd, '20, 08:43

Matt Hardy vs. Santana has been booked as a replacement for Matt vs. Sammy.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 23rd, '20, 08:44

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 23rd, '20, 08:30 I'm very mixed on this, as Sammy pretty clearly handled his apology the right way, was proactive about it, and it was something from several years ago. Doesn't make it right, but I thought he handled it better than just about anyone else has in this situation and I'm a little worried about precedent.
it's not exactly bad, he's suspended while he does his rehab. Sasha already posted his apology and I think that's that.
What's wrong is Sasha Bank's toxic fanbase that are passing around Sammy's address and sending death threats.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 24th, '20, 09:08

cero2k wrote: Jun 23rd, '20, 08:44
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 23rd, '20, 08:30 I'm very mixed on this, as Sammy pretty clearly handled his apology the right way, was proactive about it, and it was something from several years ago. Doesn't make it right, but I thought he handled it better than just about anyone else has in this situation and I'm a little worried about precedent.
it's not exactly bad, he's suspended while he does his rehab. Sasha already posted his apology and I think that's that.
What's wrong is Sasha Bank's toxic fanbase that are passing around Sammy's address and sending death threats.
Good lord...

So in their minds, forcing sex on somebody is wrong. Forcing death on somebody is OK.

Had Sammy been accused of actual rape and said these things, had he even tried to have a conversation with Sasha that would imply "woah... there's a good chance he was actually going to rape her...", OK... get pissed off. I get it.

I'm all for being held accountable, I'm fully willing to admit that sometimes consequences need to happen for people to actually "get it", but to group Sammy and his insensitive comment with people that ACTUALLY DID awful things pisses me off. I say awful things all the time, I can relate to this, but I get the humor and would never actually act out of line... it's meant for an audience that knows me, so if quoted out of the context of the room I'm in I would likely also have to own up to things that I was never serious about.

But the fact that he actually apologized instead of phoning it in as a technicality (like many others) just makes me like him more and like the world less. It's people like those harassing Sammy that make it harder for ACTUAL victims to get help.

I came out of my hole for a second and I'm not sure what I've walked into, but I hate it. Fuck Witch Hunts.