Report: NXT changing naming convention of women's title

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Report: NXT changing naming convention of women's title

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 23rd, '20, 20:46

Source: www.F4WOnline.com

By Josh Nason | @joshnason | Jan 23, 2020 8:47 am

PW Insider's Mike Johnson reported Wednesday that WWE has decided to rename the WWE NXT Women's Championship which will be known as the NXT Championship going forward, removing any gender specificity.

There was no reason given for the change and why it's being made now. This also adds speculation as to whether the WWE versions of the Raw and SmackDown women's titles and women's tag team titles will also undergo the same change.

Johnson referenced Becky Lynch's appearance on this week's Backstage where the Raw women's champion gave her viewpoint as to why WWE should drop referring to the women's division as such:

The NXT Women's Championship was created in 2013 when Paige defeated Emma in the finals of a tournament to decide the first champion. Rhea Ripley became NXT's tenth and current champion when she defeated Shayna Baszler in mid-December.

Lynch is the current Raw champion while Bayley holds the SmackDown version. The women's tag team titles, created in 2018, are currently held by Asuka and Kairi Sane.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: Report: NXT changing naming convention of women's title

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 23rd, '20, 20:47

This is a bad idea. The right way to do this is to add "men's" to the men's title, not remove "women's" from the women's title. The way they're doing it you're going to have two titles with the same name, which will only cause confusion.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 24th, '20, 09:25

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 23rd, '20, 20:47 This is a bad idea. The right way to do this is to add "men's" to the men's title, not remove "women's" from the women's title. The way they're doing it you're going to have two titles with the same name, which will only cause confusion.
100% this.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jan 24th, '20, 11:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 23rd, '20, 20:47 This is a bad idea. The right way to do this is to add "men's" to the men's title, not remove "women's" from the women's title. The way they're doing it you're going to have two titles with the same name, which will only cause confusion.
They're going to have to change some other things around eventually because the lack fo a gender association will get a ton of blowback when intergender wrestling doesn't happen (and it won't, because WWE sponsors lol)
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 24th, '20, 14:42

I had to rewind and check the source on this one, I thought for sure it was Kayfabe News...

How goddamned stupid that this is where we're at now. It's the women's title for the women's division...

After ACH's meltdown and the Cornette/NWA thing, I've accepted the fact that I must be an insensitive prick for seeing nothing wrong with either one, but somebody help me out with what I'm missing here and who's offended...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 24th, '20, 15:53

Bob-O wrote: Jan 24th, '20, 14:42 I had to rewind and check the source on this one, I thought for sure it was Kayfabe News...

How goddamned stupid that this is where we're at now. It's the women's title for the women's division...

After ACH's meltdown and the Cornette/NWA thing, I've accepted the fact that I must be an insensitive prick for seeing nothing wrong with either one, but somebody help me out with what I'm missing here and who's offended...
i'm offended, by their stupidity.

i don't think it's an 'offended' thing here, more like Becky is out on her own business promoting that her title is more important or something and that she's the real world champion. idk, maybe she's been watching Impact and liked what they're doing with their titles over there