Ric Flair threatens legal action over WWE's use of 'The Man'

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Ric Flair threatens legal action over WWE's use of 'The Man'

Post by cero2k » Sep 5th, '19, 10:52

Source: f4wonline.com

WWE Hall-of-Famer and wrestling legend Ric Flair said that he is threatening legal action against WWE for their use of "The Man".

In a video posted Thursday, Flair told TMZ that WWE's lawyer blew he and his lawyer off on two separate occasions in 2018 and 2019 about financial compensation for Becky Lynch's use of "The Man", a term he said he's used since 1981. He claims the WWE lawyer initially said the term "wasn't even close" to what Flair had trademarked.

He said he wanted to work out a private agreement with WWE, but they had no interest in doing so. He even reached out to COO and longtime friend Paul "Triple H" Levesque, but they could not come to an agreement.

Flair said he owns the trademark for the phrase "To be the man, you got to beat the man" and filed for a trademark on "The Man" on August 26th, specifically as it relates to wrestling. He said he has no issues with Lynch or her use of the term as long as he is compensated for it. He added that his daughter, Charlotte, is upset at him for filing for the trademark.

He said his goal is to ensure his family is financially taken care of after he is gone, especially his wife.

KILLdozer

Re: Ric Flair threatens legal action over WWE's use of 'The Man'

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 5th, '19, 11:00

Ha! Maybe if he wins we won't have that overdone played out , waaaayyyy overextended bullshit anymore!
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 5th, '19, 11:13

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 5th, '19, 11:00 Ha! Maybe if he wins we won't have that overdone played out , waaaayyyy overextended bullshit anymore!
haha, you were the first person i thought of when I read the news

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 7th, '19, 20:27

I can't see Flair's trademark filing being accepted. It reminds me of Paris Hilton trying to trademark "that's hot."
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 8th, '19, 12:35

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 7th, '19, 20:27 I can't see Flair's trademark filing being accepted. It reminds me of Paris Hilton trying to trademark "that's hot."
He's trying to keep it under wrestling only, and I think he just wants WWE to pay him for using it. I don't think this will see the court to be honest

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 8th, '19, 19:33

cero2k wrote: Sep 8th, '19, 12:35
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 7th, '19, 20:27 I can't see Flair's trademark filing being accepted. It reminds me of Paris Hilton trying to trademark "that's hot."
He's trying to keep it under wrestling only, and I think he just wants WWE to pay him for using it. I don't think this will see the court to be honest
I don't see him with a leg to stand on... that term is just so general, I can't see a court letting Flair make it exclusive. That'd be like Cena claiming "Champ" as it pertains to wrestling.

Flair really can't afford to push it too far, and I don't see Vince loosening the purse strings on something his legal team has confidence in.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 8th, '19, 20:07

Bob-O wrote: Sep 8th, '19, 19:33
I don't see him with a leg to stand on... that term is just so general, I can't see a court letting Flair make it exclusive. That'd be like Cena claiming "Champ" as it pertains to wrestling.

Flair really can't afford to push it too far, and I don't see Vince loosening the purse strings on something his legal team has confidence in.
Well, it be a really great opportunity to insert himself into this Tully vs Arn thing that could come out of all out. He should just drop the hint that he'll jump