WWE Attempting to Trademark "Adam Cole"

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Bob-O

WWE Attempting to Trademark "Adam Cole"

Post by Bob-O » Aug 9th, '19, 08:12

Source: pwinsider

WWE are in the process of trademarking Adam Cole. They were given an initial rejection on December 6th of last year, as they had to clarify whether Adam Cole identified a particular living individual.

WWE responded on May 6th noting that "Adam Cole" does not identify a particular living individual. The USPTO quickly responded back with evidence from Adam Cole's Wikipedia page (which has his pre-WWE history) to show that it in fact identifies a real person, Austin Jenkins. They also provided the bio page for Cole from WWE.com for futher evidence to prove the name refers to a real person. They noted that WWE should provide written consent from Jenkins allowing WWE to trademark his wrestling name.

On August 6th, WWE through their lawyer Lauren Dienes-Middlen responded with the following: "The Examining Attorney stated that the “name” shown in the mark identifies the stage name or professional name of a particular living individual, and has therefore, required Applicant to submit a written consent from such individual that authorizes the Applicant to register the name. Applicant wishes to advise the Examining Attorney that the “name” in the mark does not identify a stage name or professional nickname. Rather, it is a fictional character name, a “role”, created and owned entirely by Applicant. Mr. Austin Jenkins that is referred to in the Examiner’s Office Action did not use this fictional character name prior to working with Applicant and he cannot use this name if he were to cease working with Applicant. Moreover, Applicant is free to “assign” this fictional character name to any individual it chooses, at any time. Requiring consent by Mr. Austin Jenkins is akin to requiring Christopher Reeve’s consent for the registration of the character name “Superman”, Sean Connery’s consent for the registration of the character name “James Bond” or Val Kilmer’s consent for the registration of the character name “Batman” – these individuals are merely actors playing a role. The owner of these registrations can, and have, assigned different actors to play the same role. Such is the case with the mark in the subject application. Applicant can assign this name to any individual it chooses, at any time. Accordingly, no consent should be required for the subject application."

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: WWE Attempting to Trademark "Adam Cole"

Post by cero2k » Aug 9th, '19, 09:22

This is the test to get pushed Cole, are you a company guy that bends the knee, gives up the rights to your name, and sucks Hunter's dick; or do you protect the name you've single handedly built all of your career with the risk of getting on WWE's bad side?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 9th, '19, 11:10

cero2k wrote: Aug 9th, '19, 09:22 This is the test to get pushed Cole, are you a company guy that bends the knee, gives up the rights to your name, and sucks Hunter's dick; or do you protect the name you've single handedly built all of your career with the risk of getting on WWE's bad side?
I don't think this matters much now. People are used to different names. I also really dont have sympathy for anyone who hasn't trademarked their own gimmick name at this point. This has been an issue in the business field YEARS. It's the reason Hall and Nadh started using their real names, and that was 1996.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 9th, '19, 11:25

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 9th, '19, 11:10
cero2k wrote: Aug 9th, '19, 09:22 This is the test to get pushed Cole, are you a company guy that bends the knee, gives up the rights to your name, and sucks Hunter's dick; or do you protect the name you've single handedly built all of your career with the risk of getting on WWE's bad side?
I don't think this matters much now. People are used to different names. I also really dont have sympathy for anyone who hasn't trademarked their own gimmick name at this point. This has been an issue in the business field YEARS. It's the reason Hall and Nadh started using their real names, and that was 1996.
it may matter less, but it does kinda hurt, you won't be able to use all your old ProWrestlingTees merch, but I do agree, anyone that lets a promotion trademark their previous names is straight up stupid

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 9th, '19, 21:29

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 9th, '19, 11:10 I don't think this matters much now. People are used to different names.
What!? People might be used to it, but it very much matters. If I started packaging Coca Cola into Bob-O Cola bottles, people would drink it, but it'd never be the same. Brand recognition cannot be underestimated.

"Fight Owens, Fight"... no. I don't want that. I'm used to it, but I don't want it.

cero2k wrote: Aug 9th, '19, 11:25 anyone that lets a promotion trademark their previous names is straight up stupid
Surely he's got "Bay Bay" locked up. ... :? ... right?

He'd be in a bit of pickle if he left WWE without that.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Aug 10th, '19, 00:46

cero2k wrote: Aug 9th, '19, 11:25
Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 9th, '19, 11:10
it may matter less, but it does kinda hurt, you won't be able to use all your old ProWrestlingTees merch, but I do agree, anyone that lets a promotion trademark their previous names is straight up stupid
I definitely feel like if I were a wrestler, I would walk into WWE with everything about my gimmick copyrighted to me so they couldn't take it, because you know as soon as someone gets popular and it isn't, they'll be on it in a blink.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 10th, '19, 10:33

Serujuunin wrote: Aug 10th, '19, 00:46

I definitely feel like if I were a wrestler, I would walk into WWE with everything about my gimmick copyrighted to me so they couldn't take it, because you know as soon as someone gets popular and it isn't, they'll be on it in a blink.
yeah, plus chances are you're getting repackaged too anyway

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Aug 10th, '19, 12:48

cero2k wrote: Aug 10th, '19, 10:33
Serujuunin wrote: Aug 10th, '19, 00:46

yeah, plus chances are you're getting repackaged too anyway
And then you can go back to your indy name if/when you leave them. It just seems like a good business idea, especially being "independent contractors.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 11th, '19, 02:02

Bob-O wrote: Aug 9th, '19, 21:29
Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 9th, '19, 11:10 I don't think this matters much now. People are used to different names.
What!? People might be used to it, but it very much matters. If I started packaging Coca Cola into Bob-O Cola bottles, people would drink it, but it'd never be the same. Brand recognition cannot be underestimated.

I don't think that matters nowadays because everything is done on the internet/social media, there are always pictures attached.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3