EVOLVE 10th anniversary show to air live on WWE Network

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Post Reply
User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18370
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

EVOLVE 10th anniversary show to air live on WWE Network

Post by cero2k » Jun 26th, '19, 16:10

Source: f4wonline.com

For the first time ever, an EVOLVE show is set to stream on the WWE Network.

It was announced via The Wrap today that EVOLVE's 10th Anniversary Celebration will air live on the WWE Network at 8 p.m. Eastern time on Saturday, July 13. The show is taking place at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and is in celebration of 10 years of EVOLVE/Dragon Gate USA.

NXT Champion Adam Cole will defend his title against Akira Tozawa at the anniversary event, Matt Riddle is set to face Drew Gulak, and EVOLVE Champion Austin Theory, EVOLVE Tag Team Champions Eddie Kingston & Joe Gacy, and NXT's Arturo Ruas and Babatunde are also advertised.

“EVOLVE was the birthplace for many current WWE and NXT Superstars so it is only fitting that their 10th Anniversary Celebration will be showcased live on WWE Network,” Paul “Triple H” Levesque said.

EVOLVE's 10th Anniversary Celebration will be going head-to-head with AEW Fight for the Fallen. Fight for the Fallen is airing for free on Bleacher Report Live in the United States and Canada and will be available to purchase via Fite TV elsewhere.

EVOLVE 129 and EVOLVE 130 are taking place this Saturday and Sunday. The anniversary show is EVOLVE 131.



User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18370
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: EVOLVE 10th anniversary show to air live on WWE Network

Post by cero2k » Jun 26th, '19, 16:12

WWE promoting this evolve show that now goes head to head with AEW's CHARITY show.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23393
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: EVOLVE 10th anniversary show to air live on WWE Network

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 26th, '19, 17:24

cero2k wrote:
Jun 26th, '19, 16:12
WWE promoting this evolve show that now goes head to head with AEW's CHARITY show.
Except that AEW's show is airing free so they're not interfering with the charity portion of it (the ticket sales). Unless, of course, you're willing to admit that people would be more likely to watch an EVOLVE show on the WWE Network than to go see the not new AEW product live.

WWE is doing nothing wrong here. The whole "head to head" thing is itself a false dilemma because the WWE Network- just like Club WWN- is VOD-capable.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
NWK2000
Posts: 981
Joined: Feb 26th, '14, 00:52
Favorite Wrestler: Great Sasuke

Re: EVOLVE 10th anniversary show to air live on WWE Network

Post by NWK2000 » Jun 26th, '19, 18:20

Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 26th, '19, 17:24
cero2k wrote:
Jun 26th, '19, 16:12
WWE promoting this evolve show that now goes head to head with AEW's CHARITY show.
Except that AEW's show is airing free so they're not interfering with the charity portion of it (the ticket sales). Unless, of course, you're willing to admit that people would be more likely to watch an EVOLVE show on the WWE Network than to go see the not new AEW product live.

WWE is doing nothing wrong here. The whole "head to head" thing is itself a false dilemma because the WWE Network- just like Club WWN- is VOD-capable.
This. Also find it hilarious that WWE is so vilified in the press they can't even counter program without people being upset.
Up next on NWK Reviews
Jushin Liger TV Special
PROGRESS SSS16 2015
ECW NWA World Title Tournament 1994 (essay)
AJW Big Egg Wrestling Universe

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23393
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: EVOLVE 10th anniversary show to air live on WWE Network

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 26th, '19, 19:08

NWK2000 wrote:
Jun 26th, '19, 18:20
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 26th, '19, 17:24
cero2k wrote:
Jun 26th, '19, 16:12
WWE promoting this evolve show that now goes head to head with AEW's CHARITY show.
Except that AEW's show is airing free so they're not interfering with the charity portion of it (the ticket sales). Unless, of course, you're willing to admit that people would be more likely to watch an EVOLVE show on the WWE Network than to go see the not new AEW product live.

WWE is doing nothing wrong here. The whole "head to head" thing is itself a false dilemma because the WWE Network- just like Club WWN- is VOD-capable.
This. Also find it hilarious that WWE is so vilified in the press they can't even counter program without people being upset.
It's not an issue of press. I find the major news outlets to be rather fair in coverage of WWE. It's an issue of fanatics who have decided that WWE is wrong no matter what. It's nothing new and it happens with pretty much every company, both with people who say they can do no wrong and people who say they can do no right.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18370
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: EVOLVE 10th anniversary show to air live on WWE Network

Post by cero2k » Jun 26th, '19, 21:03

Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 26th, '19, 17:24

Except that AEW's show is airing free so they're not interfering with the charity portion of it (the ticket sales). Unless, of course, you're willing to admit that people would be more likely to watch an EVOLVE show on the WWE Network than to go see the not new AEW product live.

WWE is doing nothing wrong here. The whole "head to head" thing is itself a false dilemma because the WWE Network- just like Club WWN- is VOD-capable.
it's about the principal about promoting anything against a charity event, no matter the company.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23393
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: EVOLVE 10th anniversary show to air live on WWE Network

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 26th, '19, 21:13

cero2k wrote:
Jun 26th, '19, 21:03
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 26th, '19, 17:24

Except that AEW's show is airing free so they're not interfering with the charity portion of it (the ticket sales). Unless, of course, you're willing to admit that people would be more likely to watch an EVOLVE show on the WWE Network than to go see the not new AEW product live.

WWE is doing nothing wrong here. The whole "head to head" thing is itself a false dilemma because the WWE Network- just like Club WWN- is VOD-capable.
it's about the principal about promoting anything against a charity event, no matter the company.
So just because one person is running a charity event on a certain day, then no one else in the world should be able to run it. Cancel all the sporting events and turn off all of the TV channels. Everyone, everywhere must either watch the charity show (even though watching it doesn't matter if you're in the US or Canada because it's free) or sit in silence?
I'll bet you that while Every single AEW or PWG event has been going on, someone in that same city was running a charity event, and I didn't hear you say a peep about it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18370
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: EVOLVE 10th anniversary show to air live on WWE Network

Post by cero2k » Jun 27th, '19, 10:15

Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 26th, '19, 21:13

So just because one person is running a charity event on a certain day, then no one else in the world should be able to run it. Cancel all the sporting events and turn off all of the TV channels. Everyone, everywhere must either watch the charity show (even though watching it doesn't matter if you're in the US or Canada because it's free) or sit in silence?
I'll bet you that while Every single AEW or PWG event has been going on, someone in that same city was running a charity event, and I didn't hear you say a peep about it.
well now you're exaggerating. no one is saying that you can't run shows. that specific weekend was packed before WWE made their move, but if you think that this is just a huge coincidence that after so many years that EVOLVE starting following hunter's orders, now of all weekends, with AEW and NJPW having big shows, they FINALLY decide to put EVOLVE on the network in a show full of WWE stars. It's not coincidental. And whether it was or not their intention, it just makes them look bad.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23393
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: EVOLVE 10th anniversary show to air live on WWE Network

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 27th, '19, 18:05

cero2k wrote:
Jun 27th, '19, 10:15
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 26th, '19, 21:13

So just because one person is running a charity event on a certain day, then no one else in the world should be able to run it. Cancel all the sporting events and turn off all of the TV channels. Everyone, everywhere must either watch the charity show (even though watching it doesn't matter if you're in the US or Canada because it's free) or sit in silence?
I'll bet you that while Every single AEW or PWG event has been going on, someone in that same city was running a charity event, and I didn't hear you say a peep about it.
well now you're exaggerating. no one is saying that you can't run shows. that specific weekend was packed before WWE made their move, but if you think that this is just a huge coincidence that after so many years that EVOLVE starting following hunter's orders, now of all weekends, with AEW and NJPW having big shows, they FINALLY decide to put EVOLVE on the network in a show full of WWE stars. It's not coincidental. And whether it was or not their intention, it just makes them look bad.
The New Japan show isn't airing at the same time, and both NJPW World and the WWE Network have on-demand capability. This doens't interfere in any way with NJPW.
The reason for my exaggeration is that it is the logical outgrowth of the demands your are placing on WWE. As I said above, the Bleacher Report airing is free in the US and Canada. The charity would get the same benefit if the stream did zero viewers as it would if every single person on the planet watched it. Therefore, in order for your argument to make sense, it must be that you are arguing that providing any entertainment alternative on the night of a charity is wrong because it might make people in the stadium decide to go elsewhere instead of buying tickets to the charity show.

This is nothing more than a natural outgrowth of WWE's growing relationship with Gabe. At this time last year they wouldn't even let NXT guys who were having matches in EVOLVE appear on Club WWN. They started doing so in October, and now we've hit the point of the next logical step. After all, if Gabe is spotting and developing al of this great talent for them, then it pays for them to use their powers to add to EVOLVE's exposure, and this is a fine way of doing it, considering the high density of NXT guys on the show.

And if you don't like that then look at it from this perspective. If WWE wanted to counter-program NJPW and AEW, they'd put one of their own shows up against it (they could bring camera to any house show they wanted), not one of Gabe's.

You have become so rabidly anti-WWE over the past few years it's ridiculous. You attempt to find nefariousness in everything they do and apply a standard of behavior to them that you demand of no other promotion in the world.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18370
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: EVOLVE 10th anniversary show to air live on WWE Network

Post by cero2k » Jun 28th, '19, 16:02

Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 27th, '19, 18:05

The New Japan show isn't airing at the same time, and both NJPW World and the WWE Network have on-demand capability. This doens't interfere in any way with NJPW.
The reason for my exaggeration is that it is the logical outgrowth of the demands your are placing on WWE. As I said above, the Bleacher Report airing is free in the US and Canada. The charity would get the same benefit if the stream did zero viewers as it would if every single person on the planet watched it. Therefore, in order for your argument to make sense, it must be that you are arguing that providing any entertainment alternative on the night of a charity is wrong because it might make people in the stadium decide to go elsewhere instead of buying tickets to the charity show.

you're only focused on the financial aspect (no wonder you like WWE), i'm looking at the principal of antagonizing a company during their charity event. This isn't coincidental.
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 27th, '19, 18:05
This is nothing more than a natural outgrowth of WWE's growing relationship with Gabe. At this time last year they wouldn't even let NXT guys who were having matches in EVOLVE appear on Club WWN. They started doing so in October, and now we've hit the point of the next logical step. After all, if Gabe is spotting and developing al of this great talent for them, then it pays for them to use their powers to add to EVOLVE's exposure, and this is a fine way of doing it, considering the high density of NXT guys on the show.
You could say it's natural, but it's also reactionary, just like 99% of the things WWE does. How can you not see this is a straight response to AEW/NJPW? Just like scheduling a RAW less than a week before the G1 show in Dallas? just like NXT UK was to WOS? just like EVOLVE going to the network was originally to counter Flowslam and since nothing happened, they never put EVOLVE on the network. Same way they left PROGRESS and ICW hanging with a bunch of new shitty songs. Just like WWE tried to block ROH with NXT, from MSG, and tried to block indie wrestling from happening during WM weekend. WWE aims to destroy ANY opposition that won't bend the knee. They're fucking Xerxes from 300.
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 27th, '19, 18:05
And if you don't like that then look at it from this perspective. If WWE wanted to counter-program NJPW and AEW, they'd put one of their own shows up against it (they could bring camera to any house show they wanted), not one of Gabe's.
And risk directly losing to either company? yeah right, Vince is old, but he ain't stupid. he ALWAYS has a fall guy. The show is pretty much WWE talent/prospects anyway, but if it's under Gabe's banner, then it's Gabe who failed, not WWE. WWE doesn't lose in WWE's kool-aid flavor
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 27th, '19, 18:05
You have become so rabidly anti-WWE over the past few years it's ridiculous. You attempt to find nefariousness in everything they do and apply a standard of behavior to them that you demand of no other promotion in the world.
Except i'm not exactly jumping through hoops to see these Vince maneuvers, and most of the people see them too. There aren't exactly many promotions doing these shit tactics to each other. AAA is the only other and i've been calling them the worst promotion in the world for years, Roldan is a shithead rich kid. Not even NJPW and AJPW treat each other like this anymore. WWE is an industry bully, plain and simple, and as anti-WWE as i've become, people are also excusing everything WWE does because being anti-smark is the new smark. It's usual tribalism, i just chose the anti-greedy-blood-money tribe.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23393
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: EVOLVE 10th anniversary show to air live on WWE Network

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 28th, '19, 17:22

cero2k wrote:
Jun 28th, '19, 16:02
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 27th, '19, 18:05

The New Japan show isn't airing at the same time, and both NJPW World and the WWE Network have on-demand capability. This doens't interfere in any way with NJPW.
The reason for my exaggeration is that it is the logical outgrowth of the demands your are placing on WWE. As I said above, the Bleacher Report airing is free in the US and Canada. The charity would get the same benefit if the stream did zero viewers as it would if every single person on the planet watched it. Therefore, in order for your argument to make sense, it must be that you are arguing that providing any entertainment alternative on the night of a charity is wrong because it might make people in the stadium decide to go elsewhere instead of buying tickets to the charity show.

you're only focused on the financial aspect (no wonder you like WWE), i'm looking at the principal of antagonizing a company during their charity event. This isn't coincidental.
What's this bullsh*t about "antagonizing a company during their charity event?" People dump on WWE (and the MLB, NFL, and others) for doing charity events the way they do. AEW do not get elevated to some sort of untouchable saint status- even just for the day of the show- by doing a charity show. WWE's decision to do this has zero negative consequences for the charity, and that is all that is relevant.
cero2k wrote:
Jun 28th, '19, 16:02
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 27th, '19, 18:05
This is nothing more than a natural outgrowth of WWE's growing relationship with Gabe. At this time last year they wouldn't even let NXT guys who were having matches in EVOLVE appear on Club WWN. They started doing so in October, and now we've hit the point of the next logical step. After all, if Gabe is spotting and developing al of this great talent for them, then it pays for them to use their powers to add to EVOLVE's exposure, and this is a fine way of doing it, considering the high density of NXT guys on the show.
You could say it's natural, but it's also reactionary, just like 99% of the things WWE does. How can you not see this is a straight response to AEW/NJPW? Just like scheduling a RAW less than a week before the G1 show in Dallas? just like NXT UK was to WOS? just like EVOLVE going to the network was originally to counter Flowslam and since nothing happened, they never put EVOLVE on the network. Same way they left PROGRESS and ICW hanging with a bunch of new shitty songs. Just like WWE tried to block ROH with NXT, from MSG, and tried to block indie wrestling from happening during WM weekend. WWE aims to destroy ANY opposition that won't bend the knee. They're fucking Xerxes from 300.

1. FloSlam were the ones who f*cked WWN by cancelling on them simply because FloSlam themselves failed to get their primary other targets (ROH, PWG, CMLL) to sign up, and then spitefully, FloSlam put the entire WWN library up for free. Talk of EVOLVE going to the WWE Network only happens after that, and there was a good year or so where the same exact prohibitions about WWE talent being on the WWN streams while they were with FloSlam applied to WWN after FloSlam dumped them.

2. Why is WWE's move somehow calculated to hurt AEW and NJPW in your mind but AEW's move not designed to hurt NJPW (who they are clearly having issues with and who had their show on the books long before AEW's)?

3. I have no issue acknowledging that WWE seeks control. But how often have they actually had that control they so desire? For the fifteen months between them buying WCW and TNA starting up (and that's only counting the US and Canada) at the least generous and three and a half years (from the end of WCW to the first monthly TNA PPV) at the most generous. WWE is arguably at their most powerful right now... and yet right now there are MORE major wrestling companies operating in the US and Canada than at any point since the territory system, there is finally opposition to them on UK TV, NJPW is hotter than ever, AJPW is finally getting noticed again, women's wrestling outside of Japan is at the highest level it has been in a long time all across the board (ROH and arguably TNA are exceptions, and in TNA's case it's really just a question of how much you loved the early Gail/Kong stuff rather than there being the sort of downgrade ROH has had).
Does WWE seek to dominate everything? Absolutely. But they were will never come close to being able to do so, and even if they could, I will not become hyper-critical of WWE nor hypo-critical of everyone else simply because WWE is bigger and meaner. I will call out unfair or immoral business practices when I see them, but I will also defend fair ones from unwarranted attacks.
cero2k wrote:
Jun 28th, '19, 16:02
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 27th, '19, 18:05
And if you don't like that then look at it from this perspective. If WWE wanted to counter-program NJPW and AEW, they'd put one of their own shows up against it (they could bring camera to any house show they wanted), not one of Gabe's.
And risk directly losing to either company? yeah right, Vince is old, but he ain't stupid. he ALWAYS has a fall guy. The show is pretty much WWE talent/prospects anyway, but if it's under Gabe's banner, then it's Gabe who failed, not WWE. WWE doesn't lose in WWE's kool-aid flavor
Dude... compare WWE big-show Network numbers to AEW PPV buys or NJPW World show numbers. Vince was going to win no matter what. WWE is not expecting this to put any sort of dent in AEW's numbers, nor should anyone else. It's harmless, and in no way immoral.
cero2k wrote:
Jun 28th, '19, 16:02
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 27th, '19, 18:05
You have become so rabidly anti-WWE over the past few years it's ridiculous. You attempt to find nefariousness in everything they do and apply a standard of behavior to them that you demand of no other promotion in the world.
cero2k wrote:
Jun 28th, '19, 16:02
Except i'm not exactly jumping through hoops to see these Vince maneuvers, and most of the people see them too. There aren't exactly many promotions doing these shit tactics to each other. AAA is the only other and i've been calling them the worst promotion in the world for years, Roldan is a shithead rich kid. Not even NJPW and AJPW treat each other like this anymore.
I've heard you bury AAA's wrestling, but never heard you bury the Roldan's for anything shady they've been doing.
No, you are not doing a contortionist act conspiracy theory type of thing, but you are looking at everything WWE does through whatever the opposite of rose-colored glasses is. You took a simple video of Hunter sitting in a chair- a message of resilience in the face off attack, after someone else had fired the first shot, not even taking a shot of his own- and reacted as if he had shot two baby male deer and then crushed a Mega-Man cartridge and Jericho and Stardust action figures with his sledgehammer.
I'm not trying to dredge up an old debate, but you never responded to me pointing out to you that you are, in fact, holding WWE and AEW to different standards for no other reason than that WWE is the industry leader and AEW is not. You are in a mental state where whatever WWE does, you immediately assume malicious intent.

cero2k wrote:
Jun 28th, '19, 16:02
WWE is an industry bully, plain and simple, and as anti-WWE as i've become, people are also excusing everything WWE does because being anti-smark is the new smark. It's usual tribalism, i just chose the anti-greedy-blood-money tribe.
Are there some people who excuse everything WWE does because they want to be anti-smark? Absolutely. But I think I have proven by now that I am not one of them, neither is anyone else on this board. No one here is a wacky inverted version of womenwrestlerfan, so you don't have to fight that fight here.
I also think that "smark vs. anti-smark" is a gross oversimplification. Yes, there are "anti-smarks" out there who just want everyone to sit back and enjoy everything, but there are also people like myself who see segments of the smark crowd descending into their own version of mark-hood that has been exposed via the double-standards people hold. THose are not the same thing.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests