CODY FILES FOR SOME MOST INTERESTING TRADEMARKS

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

CODY FILES FOR SOME MOST INTERESTING TRADEMARKS

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 20th, '19, 09:57

Source: PWInsider

By Mike Johnson on 2019-03-20 09:15:00

All Elite Wrestling's Cody filed a trademark on the term "Prince of Wrestling" on 3/18, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

The trademark notes the filing is for good and services, specifically, "Entertainment services, namely, live appearances by a professional wrestling and sports entertainment personality; Entertainment services, namely, personal appearances by a professional wrestler and sports entertainment personality; Entertainment services, namely, wrestling exhibits and performances by a professional wrestler and entertainer; Entertainment services, namely, providing podcasts in the field of professional wrestling and sports entertainment Intent to Use: The applicant has a bona fide intention, and is entitled, to use the mark in commerce on or in connection with the identified goods/services."

Cody also interestingly filed for trademarks on the terms "Battlebowl", "Bash at the Beach", and "Bunkhouse Stampede" on 3/18 as well.

All of those titles will be familiar to long-time professional wrestling fans. The Bunkhouse Stampede, a no holds barred steel cage battle royal, was a match concept created by Cody's father Dusty Rhodes in the late 1980s and also the title of the very first Jim Crockett Promotions PPV at the Nassau Coliseum in New York in 1987. Battlebowl was another Dusty invention, with the idea of an event featuring "randomly" selected wrestlers who normally would not team with each other, with the victors advancing onto a final battle royal to determine the Battle Bowl winner. The concept was first done at the 1991 Starrcade before graduating into its own PPV in 1993.

Bash at the Beach was a WCW PPV title first utilized in the early 1990s. None of the titles had been previously trademarked.

The trademark for the event titles note, they are being filed for good and services, specifically, "Entertainment in the nature of wrestling contests; Entertainment services in the nature of a wrestling club; Entertainment services, namely, wrestling exhibits and performances by a professional wrestler and entertainer; Providing wrestling news and information via a global computer network Intent to Use: The applicant has a bona fide intention, and is entitled, to use the mark in commerce on or in connection with the identified goods/services."
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: CODY FILES FOR SOME MOST INTERESTING TRADEMARKS

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 20th, '19, 09:59

Well that's a lie...hopefully he doesn't think HE'S the Prince of wrestling...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 20th, '19, 10:35

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 20th, '19, 09:59 Well that's a lie...hopefully he doesn't think HE'S the Prince of wrestling...
he's turning heel and will now be the son of Lawler, or better yet, Minoru Suzuki.

I like that they filed for those show names. WWE has been letting a lot of WCW names go and at least with War Games, had to go and buy it back from MLW.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mar 20th, '19, 19:28

I loved Battlebowl!

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mar 20th, '19, 19:52

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 20th, '19, 20:02

Bob-O wrote: Mar 20th, '19, 19:52
I call BS on the "personal" part. Either that or he is already trying to create an exit strategy in case AEW falls through. There is on reason to trademark these things if you're not going to use them other than to deny others the use of them unless they pay you.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 20th, '19, 22:16

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 20th, '19, 20:02
Bob-O wrote: Mar 20th, '19, 19:52
I call BS on the "personal" part. Either that or he is already trying to create an exit strategy in case AEW falls through. There is on reason to trademark these things if you're not going to use them other than to deny others the use of them unless they pay you.
I think you've got it!....

When they come, they'll come at what you love.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 20th, '19, 22:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 20th, '19, 09:57
Cody also interestingly filed for trademarks on the terms "Battlebowl", "Bash at the Beach", and "Bunkhouse Stampede" on 3/18 as well.

YES. Bring back all the cool WCW Pay Per views Cody please! Also a Battle Bowl with the hodgepodge of indy talent AEW is cultivating would actually be super interesting
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mar 21st, '19, 04:37

But I'm wondering if WWE will have to pay Cody to keep these old shows on The Network...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 21st, '19, 05:44

I'll come out and say it: Battle Bowl is a dumb name.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 21st, '19, 08:36

Bob-O wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 04:37

But I'm wondering if WWE will have to pay Cody to keep these old shows on The Network...
nah, they'll just reword stuff like War Games into WarGames. As per playing the older shows, I don't think it be necessary

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 21st, '19, 09:19

cero2k wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 08:36
Bob-O wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 04:37

nah, they'll just reword stuff like War Games into WarGames. As per playing the older shows, I don't think it be necessary
The fact that Cody was able to file for the copyrights means that WWE let them lapse.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 21st, '19, 09:37

NWK2000 wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 09:19

The fact that Cody was able to file for the copyrights means that WWE let them lapse.
yeah, that's what I said up top, WWE has let a lot of stuff from WCW go, maybe for lack of paying attention. WWE recently had to buy the War Games copyright from MLW because by the time they finally decided to use the match, MLW had taken the rights and WWE had to work around the technicalities to use it