WWE says John Cena 'questionable' for Royal Rumble

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

WWE says John Cena 'questionable' for Royal Rumble

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 22nd, '19, 10:15

Source: www.F4WOnine.com

By Bryan Rose | @br26 | Jan 21, 2019 8:53 pm

John Cena may be out of the Royal Rumble after WWE.com ran a story saying that his status was 'in question' for the Royal Rumble match on Sunday.

The article said that Cena injured his left ankle during last week’s fatal four way match on Raw that determined Brock Lesnar’s new opponent for the Royal Rumble. It suggests that the injury occurred when Drew McIntyre put Cena in an ankle lock. He was noticeably limping after the match had ended.

The article later metnioned that he had exacerbated a leg injury earlier today while training his legs in the gym and that his status for the Royal Rumble match was now cast in dobut.

Not only was John Cena not on Raw, but his name nor the injury were ever brought up on the show.

The fatal four way match was made when Braun Strowman, in storyline, turned over Vince McMahon’s limo which caused McMahon to punish him by taking away his title match. Finn Balor then won the fatal four way, pinning Cena with the coup de grace.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: WWE says John Cena 'questionable' for Royal Rumble

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 22nd, '19, 10:16

I'm not sure what they mean when they say that Cena's name wasbn't brought up on the show. They emphasized that Balor pinned "the greatest of all time: John Cena" several times over the course of the first hour.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 22nd, '19, 10:19

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 10:16 I'm not sure what they mean when they say that Cena's name wasbn't brought up on the show. They emphasized that Balor pinned "the greatest of all time: John Cena" several times over the course of the first hour.
i'm guessing they mean mention of Cena's whereabouts.

article doesn't mention it, but this was the plan all along, Cena starts filming a movie on sunday. Lars Sullivan was supposed to injure him, but Lars never debuted.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 22nd, '19, 10:42

cero2k wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 10:19
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 10:16 I'm not sure what they mean when they say that Cena's name wasbn't brought up on the show. They emphasized that Balor pinned "the greatest of all time: John Cena" several times over the course of the first hour.
i'm guessing they mean mention of Cena's whereabouts.

article doesn't mention it, but this was the plan all along, Cena starts filming a movie on sunday. Lars Sullivan was supposed to injure him, but Lars never debuted.
So have someone else do it, or just announce a worked injury on TV. The way they do it now not only sets people up for disappointment if they thought (a logical assumption) that Cena would be in the Rumble, and actually fights against their narrative that Cena still loves WWE isn't going Hollywood because he's choosing to shoot a movie on the day of one of the most important shows of the year (and you'd think that given his angle last year where he was worried about not being on the Mania card, he would do everything in his kayfabe power to not miss the Royal Rumble).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 22nd, '19, 11:20

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 10:42

So have someone else do it, or just announce a worked injury on TV. The way they do it now not only sets people up for disappointment if they thought (a logical assumption) that Cena would be in the Rumble, and actually fights against their narrative that Cena still loves WWE isn't going Hollywood because he's choosing to shoot a movie on the day of one of the most important shows of the year (and you'd think that given his angle last year where he was worried about not being on the Mania card, he would do everything in his kayfabe power to not miss the Royal Rumble).
WWE is not announcing a movie, it's a worked injury. And if WWE still hopes for Cena vs Sullivan to happen at WM, then he shouldn't get taken out by anyone else. For once, i agree with how WWE dealt with this.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 22nd, '19, 11:30

cero2k wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 11:20
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 10:42

WWE is not announcing a movie, it's a worked injury. And if WWE still hopes for Cena vs Sullivan to happen at WM, then he shouldn't get taken out by anyone else. For once, i agree with how WWE dealt with this.
If it needs to be a worked injury not caused by anyone then that's fine, but they need to tell us about it on TV.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 22nd, '19, 11:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 11:30
If it needs to be a worked injury not caused by anyone then that's fine, but they need to tell us about it on TV.
it's 2019, they have more reach via twitter than TV

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 22nd, '19, 12:05

cero2k wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 11:53
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 11:30
it's 2019, they have more reach via twitter than TV
There is no reason not to announce it both places. There are people who watch the shows but don't visit WWE's social media constantly.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 22nd, '19, 12:12

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 12:05
There is no reason not to announce it both places. There are people who watch the shows but don't visit WWE's social media constantly.
they're not WWE target audience. It's also on the website, and i'm guessing if you're gonna watch the show on the network, like 98% will, they'll see the article.

don't make defend WWE, it hurts my insides.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 22nd, '19, 12:18

cero2k wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 12:12
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 12:05
they're not WWE target audience. It's also on the website, and i'm guessing if you're gonna watch the show on the network, like 98% will, they'll see the article.

don't make defend WWE, it hurts my insides.
How are people who watch the show not the "target audience?"

As for seeing the article on the website when you go to the Network... I have the Network site saved as a bookmark, and I can't possibly imagine that I'm the only one. There is ZERO reason not to report this on the TV other than to hope that fewer people will see it and be excited for the show on the basis of Cena being there, which is tantamount to false advertising (yes, false advertising happens all the time in pro wrestling and "card subject to change" and all of that, but I think it's always the best policy to avoid any sort of false advertising so you can save it for times when it's actually necessary [either for the storyline or because of a legit injury]).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 22nd, '19, 12:28

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 12:18

As for seeing the article on the website when you go to the Network... I have the Network site saved as a bookmark, and I can't possibly imagine that I'm the only one. There is ZERO reason not to report this on the TV other than to hope that fewer people will see it and be excited for the show on the basis of Cena being there, which is tantamount to false advertising (yes, false advertising happens all the time in pro wrestling and "card subject to change" and all of that, but I think it's always the best policy to avoid any sort of false advertising so you can save it for times when it's actually necessary [either for the storyline or because of a legit injury]).
if the numbers are correct, the people who watch the show, are older folk that don't have the network to begin with, they're not gonna tune in for Cena or they already follow some sort of news outlet telling them that Cena is injured. It's the hardcores that have the network, and they likely either follow twitter or a wrestling news site.

it wouldn't have hurt to say he was missing the Rumble, but this is WWE, they rather deal with 'cards subject to change' than people not even tuning in for the show since Cena is not there.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 22nd, '19, 12:41

cero2k wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 12:28
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 12:18

if the numbers are correct, the people who watch the show, are older folk that don't have the network to begin with, they're not gonna tune in for Cena or they already follow some sort of news outlet telling them that Cena is injured. It's the hardcores that have the network, and they likely either follow twitter or a wrestling news site.

it wouldn't have hurt to say he was missing the Rumble, but this is WWE, they rather deal with 'cards subject to change' than people not even tuning in for the show since Cena is not there.
You're forgetting young children who only watch the TV show because they're too young to use Twitter.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 22nd, '19, 12:59

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 12:41

You're forgetting young children who only watch the TV show because they're too young to use Twitter.
young children use twitter more than we do. but even tho, those kids won't buy PPVs and if they already have the network, it won't matter, card subject to change.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 22nd, '19, 13:15

cero2k wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 12:59
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 12:41

young children use twitter more than we do. but even tho, those kids won't buy PPVs and if they already have the network, it won't matter, card subject to change.
It's a kayfabe important announcement so there is literally no reason to not announce it on TV. What harm is done by announcing it on TV? You will have a better chance of making sure your entire fanbase knows what the story is and insulate yourself from charges of false adverting, and with no negative cost associated. There is absolutely no reason not to do it that isn't an attempt to downplay news that a major start won't be part of a PPV match he has been hyped up for.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 22nd, '19, 13:51

cero2k wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 11:20 if WWE still hopes for Cena vs Sullivan to happen at WM, then he shouldn't get taken out by anyone else. For once, i agree with how WWE dealt with this.
That can't possibly still be the plan, can it? He skipped Raw because he was having an anxiety attack... there's no way they'd count on him to be the Cena match at 'Mania... he'd be halfway back to Florida before Cena was done with his entrance!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 22nd, '19, 13:58

Bob-O wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 13:51
cero2k wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 11:20 if WWE still hopes for Cena vs Sullivan to happen at WM, then he shouldn't get taken out by anyone else. For once, i agree with how WWE dealt with this.
That can't possibly still be the plan, can it? He skipped Raw because he was having an anxiety attack... there's no way they'd count on him to be the Cena match at 'Mania... he'd be halfway back to Florida before Cena was done with his entrance!
Yeah. It's definitely not something I'd plan on for this year's Mania. Send him to someone who can help him work through his anxiety before you start planning any sort of big spot for him.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 22nd, '19, 14:31

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 13:15
It's a kayfabe important announcement so there is literally no reason to not announce it on TV. What harm is done by announcing it on TV? You will have a better chance of making sure your entire fanbase knows what the story is and insulate yourself from charges of false adverting, and with no negative cost associated. There is absolutely no reason not to do it that isn't an attempt to downplay news that a major start won't be part of a PPV match he has been hyped up for.
i don't think kayfabe is a thing in WWE anymore. Like i mentioned, they rather deal with 'card subject to change' than people not even tuning in to the show.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 23rd, '19, 11:34

HEY IDIOTS! SHUT UP! They said it was "McIntyre that gave him an ankle lock.." On Raw! They played into his whole list of guys actually...so that makes this whole entire discussion pretty much irrelevant and unnecessary...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 23rd, '19, 11:55

KILLdozer wrote: Jan 23rd, '19, 11:34 HEY IDIOTS! SHUT UP! They said it was "McIntyre that gave him an ankle lock.." On Raw! They played into his whole list of guys actually...so that makes this whole entire discussion pretty much irrelevant and unnecessary...
You're missing the point. The point is that they didn't tell us any of that- who injured Cena, how the injury happened, or even the fact that Cena was injured- on this week's TV show (and I'm pretty sure they didn't mention it last week, either). The debate in question is whether or not they needed to tell us this all on TV to ensure that the most possible people knew in order to ensure more honest advertising and/or to keep TV-only fans (if such people exist- I contend that they do while our fearless leader thinks they really don't) fully informed on the storylines.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 23rd, '19, 12:00

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 23rd, '19, 11:55
KILLdozer wrote: Jan 23rd, '19, 11:34 HEY IDIOTS! SHUT UP! They said it was "McIntyre that gave him an ankle lock.." On Raw! They played into his whole list of guys actually...so that makes this whole entire discussion pretty much irrelevant and unnecessary...
You're missing the point. The point is that they didn't tell us any of that- who injured Cena, how the injury happened, or even the fact that Cena was injured- on this week's TV show (and I'm pretty sure they didn't mention it last week, either). The debate in question is whether or not they needed to tell us this all on TV to ensure that the most possible people knew in order to ensure more honest advertising and/or to keep TV-only fans (if such people exist- I contend that they do while our fearless leader thinks they really don't) fully informed on the storylines.
Yes they did! Drew McIntyre gave him an ankle lock that messed up an old injury than he furtherly fucked it up in the past week in the gym. It was right in the middle of McIntyre and Rollins.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.