KUSHIDA and Kenny Omega to Depart NJPW

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

KUSHIDA and Kenny Omega to Depart NJPW

Post by cero2k » Jan 6th, '19, 22:08

Source: f4wonline.com

KUSHIDA is officially leaving New Japan Pro Wrestling.

It was announced at tonight's post-Wrestle Kingdom 13 press conference that KUSHIDA will be departing NJPW after his contract expires on January 31. KUSHIDA made an appearance at the press conference and, without directly revealing what his next destination is, spoke about his decision.

"As Sugabayashi said, I will leave NJPW on January 31," KUSHIDA said (translations via Chris Charlton). "This was an extremely tough [decision] made with Meij, Sugabayashi and Kidani [NJPW management]. It was a very big decision in my life and I’m thankful they understood. I will head overseas to see the world of pro wrestling.

"I have been here in NJPW for 8 years. I was surprised at the scale of the business when I first came in and proud of being able to work here. The warm reception and words from the fans made me who I am and I am so grateful to them."

Though he got emotional during the press conference, KUSHIDA said he wasn't sad to be making his decision and said he was crying "happy tears."

"If there was anything left for me to achieve and do, I wouldn’t be leaving," KUSHIDA said. "But I’ll put my all in this last month. There’s been a lot of people who have influenced me over these 8 years. Liger, Tana. Shibata, Makabe, Tiger Hattori. They all enjoy wrestling."

KUSHIDA has been one of the top stars in NJPW's junior heavyweight division over the last several years. He lost the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship to Taiji Ishimori at Wrestle Kingdom 13. At New Year Dash the next night, Will Ospreay pinned KUSHIDA in a six-man tag match.

Dave Meltzer reported last month that WWE was interested in signing KUSHIDA.

********************************************************************************
Source: f4wonline.com

Kenny Omega says he is leaving New Japan Pro Wrestling.

In a new article on Tokyo Sport's website, Omega says following his loss to Hiroshi Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom 13, he needs to take time away. The article also mentions that he is likely to go to either All Elite Wrestling or WWE.

“There is no real place for me to fit, so it’s best for me not to be in (NJPW),” Omega is quoted as saying. “I can’t be there working under Tanahashi. I don’t think he’s surpassed me, don’t think he’s better. If we can, I want to face him again. But I need time away, and not just from New Japan.”

His departure comes as the most of the Elite stable are leaving the promotion to start All Elite Wrestling. Cody, The Young Bucks and Hangman Page all lost their respective matches at Wrestle Kingdom and did not appear the following day at New Year’s Dash. Marty Scurll remains under ROH contract.

Omega’s contract with NJPW expires at the end of the month.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: KUSHIDA and Kenny Omega to Depart NJPW

Post by cero2k » Jan 6th, '19, 22:09

Omega's sounds like a work, KUSHIDA is no doubt on his way to becoming a geek in a pool that already has a million people

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 6th, '19, 22:14

I agree on Omega being a work. As for KUSHIDA... which geek pool? WWE, TNA, ROH, and MLW all qualify (although I doubt it's ROH just because he really wouldn't have to leave NJPW to join them). Is it possible WWE is getting him to go to NOAH or something?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 6th, '19, 22:19

only one geek pool has a million people there. If WWE only uses him to send him to NOAH and KUSHIDA accepts, this qualifies KUSHIDA as the stupidest/greediest man in the world.