NWA partnering with ROH for return of Crockett Cup

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

NWA partnering with ROH for return of Crockett Cup

Post by cero2k » Jan 2nd, '19, 20:11

Source: f4wonline.com

The NWA is partnering with ROH for the return of the Crockett Cup.

It was announced on Wednesday that the 2019 Crockett Cup will take place at Cabarrus Arena in Concord, North Carolina on Saturday, April 27. The NWA also revealed that they're partnering with ROH for the tag team tournament.

The return of the Crockett Cup was announced at the NWA 70th Anniversary Show this past October. The first qualifying match for the tournament will be held at the NWA's pop-up event in Clarksville, Tennessee this Saturday.

The NWA noted that further information on the Crockett Cup, the promotions affiliated with it, the teams that will be participating in it, and when tickets will go on sale will be announced in the next few weeks.

The tournament is also in association with the Crockett Foundation.

In 1986, the Road Warriors won the inaugural Jim Crockett Sr. Memorial Cup Tag Team Tournament. Dusty Rhodes & Nikita Koloff won the Crockett Cup in 1987, and Sting & Lex Luger won it in 1988.

Big Red Machine

Re: NWA partnering with ROH for return of Crockett Cup

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 3rd, '19, 00:28

An old name isn't worth sh*t. If you want me to care about this, you need to convince me through your storytelling that this will actually be important and have consequences. Neither of these promotions has been good at doing that over the past few years.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 3rd, '19, 07:38

I really don't care about a story when it comes to a Crockett cup. Give me a good set of established tag teams and rising tag teams and you'll have my attention. The US needs a good tag team tournament

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 3rd, '19, 11:39

cero2k wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 07:38 I really don't care about a story when it comes to a Crockett cup. Give me a good set of established tag teams and rising tag teams and you'll have my attention. The US needs a good tag team tournament
But the way the scene is currently fractured makes this relatively untenable. The USA/Canada region has no promotion in the spot that a wXw or WCPW was in a few years ago where they are friendly enough to with everyone (WWE included) to be able to use enough name teams to make it work and feel like a big deal. This will just be the usual ROH squad (which is now minus the Bucks, SCU, and a second Bullet Club team) plus some randos that Corgan is pals with. You're not going to be getting Bucks, Briscoes, Lucha Brothers, LAX, RingKampf, Work Horsemen, and Roppongi 3K all in one place here.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 3rd, '19, 12:06

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 11:39
But the way the scene is currently fractured makes this relatively untenable. The USA/Canada region has no promotion in the spot that a wXw or WCPW was in a few years ago where they are friendly enough to with everyone (WWE included) to be able to use enough name teams to make it work and feel like a big deal. This will just be the usual ROH squad (which is now minus the Bucks, SCU, and a second Bullet Club team) plus some randos that Corgan is pals with. You're not going to be getting Bucks, Briscoes, Lucha Brothers, LAX, RingKampf, Work Horsemen, and Roppongi 3K all in one place here.
sure, most top indie teams have titles somewhere too, but i think we can get a decent grouping going and I would hope that they would book a tourny that protects some champs and does justice to others. Lucha Bros are likely to win on sunday, so LAX, Rascalz, oVe could all fill in spots. Best Friends, CCK?, Villain Enterprises, Coast2Coast maybe? Elgin/Cobb? KES? If Briscoes are the champs, have them lose to whoever they defend against next.

Fill in the openers with teams like Bouncers, Beaver Boys, Z&E

This is post WM, things usually get shaken up a lot after that. We still don't know how willing will AEW be to work with ROH and other promotions in the US.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 3rd, '19, 12:34

cero2k wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 12:06
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 11:39
sure, most top indie teams have titles somewhere too, but i think we can get a decent grouping going and I would hope that they would book a tourny that protects some champs and does justice to others. Lucha Bros are likely to win on sunday, so LAX, Rascalz, oVe could all fill in spots. Best Friends, CCK?, Villain Enterprises, Coast2Coast maybe? Elgin/Cobb? KES? If Briscoes are the champs, have them lose to whoever they defend against next.

Fill in the openers with teams like Bouncers, Beaver Boys, Z&E

This is post WM, things usually get shaken up a lot after that. We still don't know how willing will AEW be to work with ROH and other promotions in the US.
Except I don't have any faith in either Billy Corgan or ROH to bring in top teams from Impact, or in Callis to let his guys lose. I expect the tournament to be 50% filled with dorks.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 3rd, '19, 19:42

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 12:34
Except I don't have any faith in either Billy Corgan or ROH to bring in top teams from Impact, or in Callis to let his guys lose. I expect the tournament to be 50% filled with dorks.
if you don't want to watch it, just say so, it's ok

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 3rd, '19, 20:06

cero2k wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 19:42
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 12:34
if you don't want to watch it, just say so, it's ok
I don't even understand why ROH is working with the NWA at all. The only people who have benefited any from this have been Corgan and Cody. The NWA brings ROH absolutely nothing.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 3rd, '19, 20:46

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 20:06

I don't even understand why ROH is working with the NWA at all. The only people who have benefited any from this have been Corgan and Cody. The NWA brings ROH absolutely nothing.
because not everyone in the world is selfish?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 3rd, '19, 21:07

cero2k wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 20:46

It's a business and all they're doing is helping a competitor. It's foolish.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 3rd, '19, 22:45

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 21:07

NWA has no tv, no exclusive roster, hell, no roster at all, barely has shows. not really competition for ROH. you really overestimate what ROH does for the NWA.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 3rd, '19, 22:50

cero2k wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 22:45
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 21:07

NWA has no tv, no exclusive roster, hell, no roster at all, barely has shows. not really competition for ROH. you really overestimate what ROH does for the NWA.
They give them TV exposure and name talent. And in return ROH gets... ?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 3rd, '19, 23:12

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 22:50 They give them TV exposure and name talent. And in return ROH gets... ?
Nick Aldis to actually have something interesting in ROH for once. Has ROH promoted NWA's shows? has there been an NWA match with NWA only talent on ROH tv?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 3rd, '19, 23:43

cero2k wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 23:12
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 22:50 They give them TV exposure and name talent. And in return ROH gets... ?
Nick Aldis to actually have something interesting in ROH for once. Has ROH promoted NWA's shows? has there been an NWA match with NWA only talent on ROH tv?
They've given them and their belt exposure they otherwise wouldn't have gotten. ROH did promote the NWA 70th Anniversary Show, which is really the only show they've run.

As for Aldis, they had the PERFECT opportunity for him to have something interesting to do when they introduced him last spring as being one of Marty's best friends while Marty and Cody were feuding as they were both challenging Dalton Castle for the ROH World Title and Cody and Aldis were laying the groundwork for their match at All In but they didn't do a damn thing with it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation