All Elite Wrestling Officially Launches

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Bob-O

All Elite Wrestling Officially Launches

Post by Bob-O » Jan 1st, '19, 06:46

Source: pwinsider

After months of speculation about where The Elite - The Young Bucks, Cody and Adam "Hangman" Page - would end up and trademarks revealing plans for a promotion tied to the ownership of the Jacksonville Jaguars, specifically Shad and Tony Khan, a special edition of YouTube series Being The Elite ended a countdown clock this morning to officially reveal that all four would officially be part of the launch of a new promotion - All Elite Wrestling.
The company will have a free rally on Tuesday 1/8 at 5 PM Eastern at TIAA Field, the home of the Jacksonville Jaguars to reveal additional information with Young Bucks, Cody, Brandi Rhodes, Page and all three members of SCU, Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, and Scorpio Sky listed as advertised. For those talents working the Tokyo Dome, they would have to be traveling directly to Florida after Wrestle Kingdom.

Where this gets VERY interesting is WWE has a Smackdown taping scheduled for that date at the nearby Jacksonville Memorial Arena that evening at 7:30 PM, which means that fans arriving at the WWE taping will have to travel past the Stadium to attend Smackdown. That puts a LOT of eyeballs on the rally in the parking lot - and it's a shrewd maneuver.

The AEW announcement also officially unveiled plans for "Double or Nothing", an event that would play off the All In brand name following the September 2018 PPV event of the same title. While no date was announced, the event is believed to be set to take place in Spring 2019, allowing AEW lots of time to build to it. More details of the AEW Double or Nothing event will be released at the 1/8 rally in Jacksonville.

The expectation is that the Jaguars ownership, led by Tony Khan, will be aggressively involved in pursuing deals for the AEW promotion. Khan has been a lifelong fan of professional wrestling since childhood and has a number of friendships and ties to a number in the business, both inside and out of WWE. This is being planned as a major financial investment by Khan and will likely be the biggest financial push from anyone getting into the professional wrestling world in a long, long time, dating back to the end of World Championship Wrestling in 2001 when Turner Broadcasting sold that promotion to WWE in the wake of the AOL-Time Warner merger.

There are already plans to pursue a national TV dea with the idea of a Tuesday evening time slot, real estate WWE will be giving up when Smackdown Live moves to FOX this fall. PWInsider.com has been apprised of several potential outlets who have had conversations with the promotion already and there may be others as well. The Khan connection should be very helpful in opening doors to the promotion.

PWInsider.com can also confirm there have been discussions with several talents who appeared on "All In" about signing with the company, offering multiple year deals, which has led to a lot of speculation about how this promotion will change the financial table when it comes to money offers for talents, given that The Elite obviously had standing offers from WWE, but turned them down in favor of working to launch a promotion that they would have heavy involvement in behind the scenes as well as performing in front of the camera. There are some in the business who hope for that for the first time, realistically, since WCW went out of business in 2001, talents will now have several players to bounce back and forth off in order to raise their financial value and get more money for themselves. Time will tell whether that hope becomes a reality.

It is expected BJ Whitmer, who recently left ROH, will be working behind the scenes for AEW.

AEW t-shirts are already on sale via Pro Wrestling Tees at this link.

Back in October, All Elite Wrestling filed to trademark the following for wrestling, broadcasting and merchandising purposes:

*All Elite Wrestling

*AEW

*Double or Nothing (The promotion's first event)

*All Out (Likely the name of a future event)

*Tuesday Night Dynamite (the potential TV series name)

*Fight for the Fallen.

The LLC behind the filing was listed as having the same address as TIAA Bank Field, the home of the Jacksonville Jaguars, the same location as the rally on 1/8, so the Khans are, pun intended, "All In" here.

Now that the future of The Elite has been set in stone, there will be lots of expectations, questions and benchmarks the promotion will have to make, but the initial, natural questions this morning include:

*What does this announcement mean for the future of Kenny Omega, who was among the group that agreed they would all make the next step together, but is not yet named as part of the promotion's initial core?

*What does this mean for the Elite's future in New Japan as well as plans for them to wrestle independently going forward?

*When and how does the promotion launch full-time?

*What will the makeup of the promotion look like?

*Can a series like "Being the Elite" be translated to a national audience or will they take another direction?

*What does all this mean for the Bucks, etc. outside endeavors going forward?

*Who else will populate the roster beyond the names initially revealed?

*How often will this promotion run?

*Can they achieve something that no one other than Impact Wrestling (for a time) has been able to do since the day WCW went out of business in building a long-term, financially solvent TV deal on a major, national level?

*If so, can they build a new, global brand name for their promotion in a world where WWE already over-satiates today's pro wrestling fan with weekly content?

*What sort of attention will the rally on 1/8 bring for AEW?

*How, if at all, WWE will respond to the rally's proximity to their TV taping and more importantly, to the idea of another potential brand signing up talents?

*How does the launch of what is obviously intended to be a major player into the professional wrestling world change the map, short-term and long-term?

*What will be the ripple effect of a new potential player entering the field be, not just on WWE, but Impact Wrestling, Ring of Honor, New Japan, the independent wrestling scene, etc.?

Now that the countdown clock has ended and All Elite Wrestling has arrived, these and other questions will soon be answered with a major spotlight on all involved as they move forward. The Bucks, Cody and Page promised to "Change the World" when they left Ring of Honor - and we'll soon see, step by step, whether and how that can be accomplished. There will be buzz aplenty - there always is around the Elite - but to change the world, to truly change it for the better, there will be a lot of work that all involved will have to put in. That work begins today.

DHRainmaker

Re: All Elite Wrestling Officially Launches

Post by DHRainmaker » Jan 1st, '19, 07:11

I don't care if you like The Elite or not if you consider yourself a fan of pro wrestling and want it to do well financially you really do need to support them in this. I know I will be

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 1st, '19, 09:18

DHRainmaker wrote: Jan 1st, '19, 07:11 I don't care if you like The Elite or not if you consider yourself a fan of pro wrestling and want it to do well financially you really do need to support them in this. I know I will be
This.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 1st, '19, 17:33

cero2k wrote: Jan 1st, '19, 09:18
DHRainmaker wrote: Jan 1st, '19, 07:11 I don't care if you like The Elite or not if you consider yourself a fan of pro wrestling and want it to do well financially you really do need to support them in this. I know I will be
This.
Not this. I actually don't want wrestling to do well...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 1st, '19, 20:18

KILLdozer wrote: Jan 1st, '19, 17:33
This.
you do realize that it's the only way to keep vanilla midgets away from your Vinny Mac Carni-Show, right?

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 1st, '19, 22:07

cero2k wrote: Jan 1st, '19, 20:18
This.
you do realize that it's the only way to keep vanilla midgets away from your Vinny Mac Carni-Show, right?
Awh! Steroids will ALWAYS WIN IN THE END!

AHAHAHHAHA!

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 2nd, '19, 07:48

I lol'd...

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 2nd, '19, 11:52

Backed by the Famous Khans who notoriously tried to buy the national stadium of the UK... who own a football (soccer) club and an NFL team?

Something tells me they’ve got some good finances behind them.

The Khan’s love England too, so it could spread to the UK just lovely
Have A Nice Day!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 2nd, '19, 15:39

cero2k wrote: Jan 1st, '19, 20:18
This.
And a little more respect you know...Vince McMahon is like...The Grandfather....or...The grandson...of professional wrestling...one way or the other.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 2nd, '19, 18:33

KILLdozer wrote: Jan 2nd, '19, 15:39
And a little more respect you know...Vince McMahon is like...The Grandfather....or...The grandson...of professional wrestling...one way or the other.
He's more like the McDonalds of wrestling

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 2nd, '19, 18:36

cero2k wrote: Jan 2nd, '19, 18:33
KILLdozer wrote: Jan 2nd, '19, 15:39
He's more like the McDonalds of wrestling
Literally all of your vanilla midgets and Indy fat boys were inspired to pursue their dreams by Vince McMahon created wrestlers. He IS the man behind the wrestling you watch today itself. Or his Father created it then he furtherly honed it.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 2nd, '19, 20:14

KILLdozer wrote: Jan 2nd, '19, 18:36

Literally all of your vanilla midgets and Indy fat boys were inspired to pursue their dreams by Vince McMahon created wrestlers. He IS the man behind the wrestling you watch today itself. Or his Father created it then he furtherly honed it.
I watch Japanese and Mexican wrestling, i have no idea what you're talking about.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 2nd, '19, 20:47

cero2k wrote: Jan 2nd, '19, 20:14

I watch Japanese and Mexican wrestling, i have no idea what you're talking about.

I'll deal with you later....

This isn't over ...

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 2nd, '19, 21:11

KILLdozer wrote: Jan 2nd, '19, 18:36 Literally all of your vanilla midgets and Indy fat boys were inspired to pursue their dreams by Vince McMahon created wrestlers. He IS the man behind the wrestling you watch today itself. Or his Father created it then he furtherly honed it.
No! No no no! Noooooooooooooo....

That's just... no.

Revisionist history, my friend. Vince created NOTHING, the only thing Vince can take credit for is his platform that he gained through shady tactics and broken promises. Vince can take all the credit for the presentation, but the WRESTLERS!? Vince didn't create shit, man...

Hogan and Hulkamania was all Verne, Vince stole it. Rock 'n' Wrestling, that was Fritz. Stone Cold, was Austin's own creation - only pushed because it got over in a way it wasn't supposed to. He can't even take credit for the "Mr. McMahon" character! By his "creation", he was supposed to be a babyface.

Who else?

Shawn? Bret? Never would have seen the top of the card if it weren't for the steroid trial - his vision was to go with Luger.

The Rock, maybe? No, wait... Vince created "The Blue Chipper" Rocky Miavia... the babyface that garnished "Die Rocky, Die" chants from his debut. "The Rock" can be rooted back to Flex Cavana... Duane's own creation. There's a few I admitadly can't counter off the top of my head (Undertaker, Kane...) but hardly anyone would cite as "inspiration to follow their dreams".

You can give him credit for bringing them to you, but it's the same as being a shit baker in a REALLY nice storefront, then one day buying a bunch of Krispy Kremes and selling them as if you had baked them yourself. People love your donuts now and you find success through them, yet people still think your own donuts suck when you try sneaking them in to the boxes, but after a while start giving you credit for inventing Krispy Kreme... and you take the credit because you now run a successful bakery, even though your own recipe has NO PROVEN TRACK RECORD, you now have a reputation to uphold.

After a while, ego takes over, and you decide you've opened enough locations and invested enough in the storefronts that it doesn't matter if your donuts suck, people will keep coming back because the stores are so nice. You stop selling the Krispy Kremes (which is a mute point, you bought them and their recipe out a while ago), and while everyone complains the donuts are terrible, they keep coming back because you've got a shop on every corner and they remember how good the donuts used to be. You even take credit for inventing donut flavors that you never sold in your stores, but Krispy Kreme used to, so that's all you too.

Vince McMahon didn't invent donuts.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 2nd, '19, 22:10

Bob-O wrote: Jan 2nd, '19, 21:11
KILLdozer wrote: Jan 2nd, '19, 18:36 Literally all of your vanilla midgets and Indy fat boys were inspired to pursue their dreams by Vince McMahon created wrestlers. He IS the man behind the wrestling you watch today itself. Or his Father created it then he furtherly honed it.
No! No no no! Noooooooooooooo....

That's just... no.

Revisionist history, my friend. Vince created NOTHING, the only thing Vince can take credit for is his platform that he gained through shady tactics and broken promises. Vince can take all the credit for the presentation, but the WRESTLERS!? Vince didn't create shit, man...

Hogan and Hulkamania was all Verne, Vince stole it. Rock 'n' Wrestling, that was Fritz. Stone Cold, was Austin's own creation - only pushed because it got over in a way it wasn't supposed to. He can't even take credit for the "Mr. McMahon" character! By his "creation", he was supposed to be a babyface.

Who else?

Shawn? Bret? Never would have seen the top of the card if it weren't for the steroid trial - his vision was to go with Luger.

The Rock, maybe? No, wait... Vince created "The Blue Chipper" Rocky Miavia... the babyface that garnished "Die Rocky, Die" chants from his debut. "The Rock" can be rooted back to Flex Cavana... Duane's own creation. There's a few I admitadly can't counter off the top of my head (Undertaker, Kane...) but hardly anyone would cite as "inspiration to follow their dreams".

You can give him credit for bringing them to you, but it's the same as being a shit baker in a REALLY nice storefront, then one day buying a bunch of Krispy Kremes and selling them as if you had baked them yourself. People love your donuts now and you find success through them, yet people still think your own donuts suck when you try sneaking them in to the boxes, but after a while start giving you credit for inventing Krispy Kreme... and you take the credit because you now run a successful bakery, even though your own recipe has NO PROVEN TRACK RECORD, you now have a reputation to uphold.

After a while, ego takes over, and you decide you've opened enough locations and invested enough in the storefronts that it doesn't matter if your donuts suck, people will keep coming back because the stores are so nice. You stop selling the Krispy Kremes (which is a mute point, you bought them and their recipe out a while ago), and while everyone complains the donuts are terrible, they keep coming back because you've got a shop on every corner and they remember how good the donuts used to be. You even take credit for inventing donut flavors that you never sold in your stores, but Krispy Kreme used to, so that's all you too.

Vince McMahon didn't invent donuts.
Vince McMahon is the one who brought the donuts to you. He's the one behind the entire presentation. I'm just sayin'.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 3rd, '19, 00:20

Irrelevant. We don't still go into space using the same rockets they used for the Apollo Program. Just because Neil Armstrong walking on the moon inspired 1969's children to become today's astronauts doesn't mean we should be launching people into space on Saturn V rockets instead of SapceX Dragons in 2019.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 3rd, '19, 08:54

cero2k wrote: Jan 2nd, '19, 18:33 He's more like the McDonalds of wrestling
I like this more than the donut analogy. Giving Vince credit beyond creating his empire is like saying those greasy cheeseburgers I love so much from the tavern down the road wouldn't be possible had McDonalds not franchised the burger game.

But in this scenario, McDonalds bought my favorite tavern, said they wouldn't change a thing, but now when I go there the beef isn't fresh and they don't sell beer anymore. The McDonald's franchise has adopted my favorite greasy cheeseburger, but they are now putting Big Mac Sauce on it and dehydrated onions. It's removed from the menu because nobody is buying it.

I'm still going to frequent the Tavern, because the food is still pretty good and McDonalds really cleaned the place up. I'm going to only go to the Franchise when I absolutely have to, because it's so convenient and there's always the chance that they'll undo the terrible changes they made to my old favorite burger... they haven't, and they forgot my fucking fries, I'm never ever going back... until the kids are hungry and I've got someplace to be...

When a NEW Tavern opens up, promising those same greasy cheeseburgers at McDonalds level of convenience, I'm going to support it! Even if the food isn't as good as I hoped, if the competition compels McDonalds to start using fresh beef again, we all win!

I'm absolutely not going to thank McDonalds for making it possible, and I'm ABSOLUTELY not going to give them ANY credit for inventing the cheeseburger... because no matter how many times they post that fact on their wall - to be seen by the millions of people that walk through their doors every day - it's just not true. The fact that they've managed to open a franchise in every town in the world is truly astounding, but that's literally all they did.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 3rd, '19, 10:28

Y'all dudes know I was kind of just kiddin' around....kind of.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 4th, '19, 20:34

KILLdozer wrote: Jan 3rd, '19, 10:28 Y'all dudes know I was kind of just kiddin' around....kind of.
All good. You know me and my conspiracy theories... I get a lil fired up about certain things lol...

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 4th, '19, 20:45

The Khans are going all out it seems! That's a good thing! I haven't seen it confirmed, but people are talking that there might be ~gasp~ HEALTH INSURANCE for their contracted talent! Say what!?

Also saw that Meltzer is reporting that "an indy talent" who's contract is up in the spring (assumed to be Scurll) has been offered WAY more money to sign with NXT than people before him around his level. Also a good thing!