All Elite Wrestling Officially Launches

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
XIV

Re: All Elite Wrestling Officially Launches

Post by XIV » Jan 5th, '19, 03:24

Bob-O wrote: Jan 4th, '19, 20:45

The Khans are going all out it seems! That's a good thing! I haven't seen it confirmed, but people are talking that there might be ~gasp~ HEALTH INSURANCE for their contracted talent! Say what!?

Also saw that Meltzer is reporting that "an indy talent" who's contract is up in the spring (assumed to be Scurll) has been offered WAY more money to sign with NXT than people before him around his level. Also a good thing!
As long as contracts don’t get silly, it’s a good thing. The Khan’s are a bottomless pit of cash.

I give it two years before AEW attempt a Monday Night Wars 2 by going head to head.
Have A Nice Day!

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 5th, '19, 07:18

XIV wrote: Jan 5th, '19, 03:24 As long as contracts don’t get silly, it’s a good thing. The Khan’s are a bottomless pit of cash.

I give it two years before AEW attempt a Monday Night Wars 2 by going head to head.
In the age of streaming and DVR I'm not sure it really matters. Numbers are fun to play with, and since the live viewership hasn't been anything worth writing home about for a while, a modern war would be over YouTube Views, Twitter Followers, and Network subscribers.

The real war is going to be over talent, which given the players and egos involved, will lead to silly contracts. Hopefully, the industry learned it's lesson with Creative Control, but if it's just the guys getting paid and insured I'm all about it. The 3-Way Kenny Omega Bidding War is going to be fun to watch.

NJPW is where his loyalties lay. AEW needs a better frontman than Cody. WWE doesn't need him, but how much are they willing to pay so nobody else has him...? Stay tuned!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 5th, '19, 16:05

Bob-O wrote: Jan 5th, '19, 07:18
XIV wrote: Jan 5th, '19, 03:24 As long as contracts don’t get silly, it’s a good thing. The Khan’s are a bottomless pit of cash.

In the age of streaming and DVR I'm not sure it really matters. Numbers are fun to play with, and since the live viewership hasn't been anything worth writing home about for a while, a modern war would be over YouTube Views, Twitter Followers, and Network subscribers.

The real war is going to be over talent, which given the players and egos involved, will lead to silly contracts. Hopefully, the industry learned it's lesson with Creative Control, but if it's just the guys getting paid and insured I'm all about it. The 3-Way Kenny Omega Bidding War is going to be fun to watch.

NJPW is where his loyalties lay. AEW needs a better frontman than Cody. WWE doesn't need him, but how much are they willing to pay so nobody else has him...? Stay tuned!
All of this.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 11th, '19, 07:07

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 11th, '19, 08:44

the two things that stand out for me

1. If they can pay AJ Styles level money, then AJ Styles could actually consider AEW now that his contract expires. He has a good run in WWE, but he could be offered the money + lesser schedule + going back to Japan if he wanted. Same with Nakamura.

2. That offer to the Bucks sounds like WWE at least wants to claim they had the Bucks, and not continue the story that they were never able to sing the Bucks.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 11th, '19, 08:45

also

WON: Jericho's deal signed with AEW was for 3 years exclusive. While he publicly said that he’s got money and now he’s here to have fun, the reality is that he was offered a significantly better contract by AEW than what he had ever earned with WWE and still left him free for lucrative NJPW paydays.

AEW just outbid WWE with one of the top talent in the world.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 11th, '19, 20:27

cero2k wrote: Jan 11th, '19, 08:44 2. That offer to the Bucks sounds like WWE at least wants to claim they had the Bucks, and not continue the story that they were never able to sing the Bucks.
I think it has WAY more to do with knowing AEW wouldn't get off the ground without them. I absolutely love that these two guys... two guys I thought would amount to nothing when I saw them in TNA... have positioned themselves as the biggest threat WWE has seen since WCW. Omega'd be great, Cody'd be in a better spot than Stardust but I can't see WWE putting him in a main event role even now, but the Bucks man... Generation Me... The Young Bucks is such a stupid name for two guys I wrote off as Hardy Boy wanna-be's gaining leverage in the wrestling world through a YouTube show that isn't even THAT good... I'm sorry, it's just not... but it freakin' worked and it put them in a crazy position, not just "made a name for ourselves in Japan" but a position to red light/green light a new company that could really change the game as we know it. It's such a cool thing to watch. I get goosebumps when I think about it.
cero2k wrote: Jan 11th, '19, 08:44 1. If they can pay AJ Styles level money, then AJ Styles could actually consider AEW now that his contract expires. He has a good run in WWE, but he could be offered the money + lesser schedule + going back to Japan if he wanted. Same with Nakamura.

WON: Jericho's deal signed with AEW was for 3 years exclusive. While he publicly said that he’s got money and now he’s here to have fun, the reality is that he was offered a significantly better contract by AEW than what he had ever earned with WWE and still left him free for lucrative NJPW paydays.

AEW just outbid WWE with one of the top talent in the world.
I know it's different... but I have a really hard time acknowledging Chris Jericho as a top talent in the world... yeah, he can still go, he's blah blah blah... he's like 50 and he's gotten really fat. AJ's getting up there too. Not saying it wouldn't be really cool... especially for Omega to achieve a (compromised) goal... and a startup trying to get to that level needs guys like Jericho and AJ... but my brain can't help but go back to The Main Event Mafia over and over again, and how ALL these "top talents" somehow made TNA worse. I don't want to see that happen here, they've got too much going for them.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 12th, '19, 09:22

Bob-O wrote: Jan 11th, '19, 20:27
I know it's different... but I have a really hard time acknowledging Chris Jericho as a top talent in the world... yeah, he can still go, he's blah blah blah... he's like 50 and he's gotten really fat. AJ's getting up there too. Not saying it wouldn't be really cool... especially for Omega to achieve a (compromised) goal... and a startup trying to get to that level needs guys like Jericho and AJ... but my brain can't help but go back to The Main Event Mafia over and over again, and how ALL these "top talents" somehow made TNA worse. I don't want to see that happen here, they've got too much going for them.
Even if he doesn't wrestle, he's still one of the biggest names in wrestling. If anything else, AEW can show they can play in the big boys table putting big money down. Reminds me when Angle went to TNA, fans started paying attention because for a lot of people, indie spot monkeys don't mean anything, right Dozer?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 12th, '19, 18:36

cero2k wrote: Jan 12th, '19, 09:22
Bob-O wrote: Jan 11th, '19, 20:27
Even if he doesn't wrestle, he's still one of the biggest names in wrestling. If anything else, AEW can show they can play in the big boys table putting big money down. Reminds me when Angle went to TNA, fans started paying attention because for a lot of people, indie spot monkeys don't mean anything, right Dozer?
The Angle to TNA comparison is the right one to make (although I would argue that the Dudleys had a similarly legitimizing effect the year earlier, and that Kurt actually had less choice because WWE had made it clear that his issues meant they weren't going to use him again). But the point is that the important factor about Jericho isn't about his in-ring work or even the fact that AEW can offer WWE-level money; it's the fact that a major star who would be welcomed back to WWE in a heartbeat (remember, he worked Greatest Royal Rumble just last year), has instead chosen to go to AEW instead.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 21st, '19, 16:44

WWE did not do this for TNA... it's crazy to see everyone scrambling over a promotion that's yet to hold a show...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 22nd, '19, 08:19

That's not sustainable, not during WrestleMania that you need the popular names out there, and once everyone is unhappy, who do you push.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 22nd, '19, 13:30

cero2k wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 08:19 That's not sustainable, not during WrestleMania that you need the popular names out there, and once everyone is unhappy, who do you push.
You're right, it's a terrible time of year for them, for quick fixes. However, they might find their solution by accident. These guys aren't looking for pushes, they're looking for plans. In any line of work, there's nothing more frustrating than treading water when you think you're capable of handling more. They just want to know what's going on, a sense of purpose, and I think Wrestlemania Season is going to (FINALLY) show WWE that. They don't have to "hand out pushes", I think they'll find that moral improves greatly by just telling guys what the plan is after Wrestlemania.

WWE isn't stupid either... I'd hope everyone knows there's only a handful of guys they're sitting on that would be of any value to AEW (Revival, Gable, Breeze). I can't see them bending over backwards to keep Mojo Rawley happy because nobody is going to give a shit if he leaves, and I can't really see a demand for him outside of WWE.

It's the NXT guys I'd be worried about, getting frustrated that they haven't been called up...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 22nd, '19, 13:56

Bob-O wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 13:30
WWE isn't stupid either... I'd hope everyone knows there's only a handful of guys they're sitting on that would be of any value to AEW (Revival, Gable, Breeze). I can't see them bending over backwards to keep Mojo Rawley happy because nobody is going to give a shit if he leaves, and I can't really see a demand for him outside of WWE.
You're right about guys like Mojo but I do think there are a lot more guys stalled in the midcard or tag team division who would be valuable to AEW (or TNA, or ROH, or even MLW). Roode, , Mike & Maria, Gran Metalik, Gallows & Anderson, Mickie James, Ruby Riott, Ember Moon, maybe SAnitY, Apollo Crews fit into this category until just a few weeks ago...
Also, guys like AoP or The Ascension will probably be fine for short programs with the Bucks (AoP are certainly able to be carried). A Zack Ryder or Curtis Axel or even a Dolph Ziggler doing the "I'm going to prove that WWE has been wasting me" indy run could make for a good story for AEW to push...

And, like you said, that's not accounting for guys who are sick of being in NXT (Chris Hero?) and not getting called up, and I'd say there might well be some people on 205 Live who I could see feeling like they're in a similar situation where they just don't feel like they're being used very well (Noam Dar leads to mind immediately).

Plus, if I were WWE, I'd be scared sh*tless about the possibility of AJ Styles and/or Adam Cole (who I believe both have contracts expiring this year) jumping ship.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 22nd, '19, 14:42

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 13:56
Bob-O wrote: Jan 22nd, '19, 13:30
You're right about guys like Mojo but I do think there are a lot more guys stalled in the midcard or tag team division who would be valuable to AEW (or TNA, or ROH, or even MLW). Roode, , Mike & Maria, Gran Metalik, Gallows & Anderson, Mickie James, Ruby Riott, Ember Moon, maybe SAnitY, Apollo Crews fit into this category until just a few weeks ago...
Also, guys like AoP or The Ascension will probably be fine for short programs with the Bucks (AoP are certainly able to be carried). A Zack Ryder or Curtis Axel or even a Dolph Ziggler doing the "I'm going to prove that WWE has been wasting me" indy run could make for a good story for AEW to push...

And, like you said, that's not accounting for guys who are sick of being in NXT (Chris Hero?) and not getting called up, and I'd say there might well be some people on 205 Live who I could see feeling like they're in a similar situation where they just don't feel like they're being used very well (Noam Dar leads to mind immediately).

Plus, if I were WWE, I'd be scared sh*tless about the possibility of AJ Styles and/or Adam Cole (who I believe both have contracts expiring this year) jumping ship.
Styles, Nakamura, Paige, Karl Anderson, Luke Gallows, Jim Ross, Mauro Ranallo, as far as i know, their deals are up this year.

And even with Mojo, it only takes a good booker to make him work, time and time again, his promo skills have been praised.

But WWE's issue here is going beyond AEW using talent, it's more about the visual that WWE guys are jumping to AEW, about a midcard guy in WWE getting a great deal in AEW, giving WWE talent ideas.