Trademarks filed in Florida for 'All Elite Wrestling, 'All Out', and more

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Trademarks filed in Florida for 'All Elite Wrestling, 'All Out', and more

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 21st, '18, 10:28

Source: www.F4WOnline.com

By Josh Nason | @joshnason | Nov 21, 2018 9:14 am

A slew of new trademarks filed in Jacksonville, FL, earlier this month could be a further indication of a rumored new wrestling organization launching, powered by some of the biggest non-WWE talents on the market today.

A Reddit thread brought to light that on November 5th, the following were trademarked by All Elite Wrestling, LLC, which has the same address as the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars. The importance there is the Jaguars are owned by the Khan family and son Tony has been heavily rumored to backing this venture.

The names filed for trademark include:

All Elite Wrestling
AEW All Out
All Out
AEW
Double or Nothing
Tuesday Night Dynamite
AEW Double Or Nothing
Several logos including the one seen above

Under the goods and services section for the trademarks are a large amount of poential merchandise options, live streaming PPV content, and more.

Of course, the group most discussed behind this venure are Nick and Matt Jackson (The Young Bucks) and Cody Runnels, hence the references to 'Elite' and 'Double or Nothing', a reference Runnels made after the group put on their first PPV earlier this year, All In. The Jacksons, Runnels, and Kenny Omega are among those set to become free agents this January and their future with New Japan Pro Wrestling and Ring of Honor has been a hot topic for months.

Chris Jericho and Jim Ross were also linked to the group, but have both downlplayed and denied any involvement.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Trademarks filed in Florida for 'All Elite Wrestling, 'All Out', and more

Post by cero2k » Nov 21st, '18, 10:44

this is the logo mentioned in the article. I guess this does make those 'The Elite are leaving NJPW/ROH' rumors more realistic

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 21st, '18, 11:12

Will it stop us from hearing anymore shit talkin' from those 3 about everything finally?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 21st, '18, 11:26

Intriguing...

Let's say what this points toward is true, does Kenny Omega have enough star power to put them on the map or does most of his american appeal stem from the the intrigue and "hipness" that goes with the Japanese wrestling trend?

I'm confident in saying Cody and The Bucks are the best supporting cast in the business, but can Kenny be the "The Man" in America?

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 21st, '18, 11:34

I don't really like any of them. I'm still not entirely sure what all of the Cody Rhodes shit is all about. So he left because he didn't wanna be Stardust any more? Stardust he actually was great at, and big deal-all the gimmicks and tweaks that man underwent...I'm sure it would have changed sooner or later.

I'm starting to remember something about wanting to be himself right after Dusty Rhodes passed, which is understandable...but I guarantee you he wouldn't have been Stardust forever. He had so many chances and so many times they obviously wanted him to break out and were VERY HIGH on him at times...that *UNdashing* thing were he pretty much developed some kinda dark complex after becoming "disfigured" with a nose injury was my favorite at the time and that was his absolute biggest. He even beat Orton back then. Now he's talkin' shit all over and he's the greatest on "the indepents"...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 21st, '18, 12:05

Let me guess, shooting in the dark here, no muscles, right? Because Cody suffered exactly from that, every ginnick they gave him, he hit it out of the park, but he was still a midcard geek to WWE, and to some people, being someone in wrestling is more important than a steady mid card paycheck.

Dude is not the best wrestler out there, but he has a good mind for wrestling and as a Booker, I'd definitely give him a chance.

As for Kenny, I think he can be The Man in the world if he has the right antagonists, which he has in NJPW, but I don't think he does anywhere else.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 21st, '18, 12:24

Rhodes was actually one of my favorites during his heyday, because as we've agreed...all of that masterful character work was just so entertaining every week...I actually used to always and constantly be waiting for more for him. It almost seemed like something happened along the way on one that caused trouble....he seemed on his way.

The rest of them I just don't care about...too independent.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 21st, '18, 12:37

KILLdozer wrote: Nov 21st, '18, 12:24 Rhodes was actually one of my favorites during his heyday, because as we've agreed...all of that masterful character work was just so entertaining every week...I actually used to always and constantly be waiting for more for him. It almost seemed like something happened along the way on one that caused trouble....he seemed on his way.

they're technically signed to two big multinational companies, they're really not independent at all

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 21st, '18, 12:38

cero2k wrote: Nov 21st, '18, 12:37
KILLdozer wrote: Nov 21st, '18, 12:24 Rhodes was actually one of my favorites during his heyday, because as we've agreed...all of that masterful character work was just so entertaining every week...I actually used to always and constantly be waiting for more for him. It almost seemed like something happened along the way on one that caused trouble....he seemed on his way.

they're technically signed to two big multinational companies, they're really not independent at all
Either way, those Jacksons don't sound very likeable at all. I remember from TNA, bunch of double team springboard types.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 21st, '18, 13:11

cero2k wrote: Nov 21st, '18, 12:37

Unless ROH contracts have changed, I believe the only places they are "independent" are Europe, Australia, and Canada outside of Ontario.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 22nd, '18, 09:47

KILLdozer wrote: Nov 21st, '18, 12:38 Either way, those Jacksons don't sound very likeable at all. I remember from TNA, bunch of double team springboard types.
They've evolved a lot since their Generation Me days. I'm not going to try to sell them, because they're still not for everyone, but that's like writing off Drew McIntyre because he was that good in the 3 Man Band...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 22nd, '18, 10:20

cero2k wrote: Nov 21st, '18, 12:05 Let me guess, shooting in the dark here, no muscles, right? Because Cody suffered exactly from that, every ginnick they gave him, he hit it out of the park, but he was still a midcard geek to WWE, and to some people, being someone in wrestling is more important than a steady mid card paycheck.

Dude is not the best wrestler out there, but he has a good mind for wrestling and as a Booker, I'd definitely give him a chance.

I disagree with the assertion that Cody has a "good mind for wrestling and as a booker." Cody is the perfect example of a guy who would so greatly benefit from having an agent edit his matches. He knows how to get a reaction, but when you leave him up to his own devices, his matches are become this mish-mosh of overly-cartoonish HIGH DRAMA spots that ultimately suffocate his matches. Similarly, when booking, Cody seems to only know how to book storyline "high spots" instead of building things up to head, and as a result, these spots often come off as overdramatic rather than feeling like real emotion. He can't help but overdo everything. Cody is someone who a booker should feel comfortable going to for his opinion on how something will go over, but I would never, ever let Cody do the booking himself. The best Cody Rhodes is a Cody Rhodes being used as main eventer Cody Rhodes within a WWE-type system, where he will have some, but not too much freedom to fill his match with stalling and bullsh*t.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 22nd, '18, 11:52

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 22nd, '18, 10:20 but not too much freedom to fill his match with stalling and bullsh*t
THAT'S IT! Thank you!

I could never put my finger on it, but you've cleared it up! I never put the two together, but it's a tecnique used in video games quite a bit. Along the lines of, just because something takes a long time, doesn't make it good. Many times developers will give you something that's "not awful" that ~just good enough~ to keep you going, but you're fooled into thinking it was better than it was because it took for fucking ever to get to the payoff... when 90% of it was waiting.

THAT'S a Cody Rhodes match! Promos and build up and a 30 - 45 minute match that's building to something and is so over-dramatic when you get there that you might interpret all the waiting as actual wrestling.

I like Cody, but I'm always left feeling conflicted after his matches... like, "...that should have been good, I don't have a reason to dislike it, but I didn't like it as much as I feel like I should..."

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 24th, '18, 07:03

From WON:

"The revelation of certain trademarks that have been filed looks to answer questions about the probable destination of The Young Bucks, Cody, Brandi Rhodes and Hangman Page. A group using the address of the Jacksonville Jaguars football team filed for several trademarks on 11/5, the key being All Elite Wrestling, the name of the promotion, along with AEW, All Out, Double or Nothing, AEW Double or Nothing and Tuesday Night Dynamite. Normally trademark filings would hardly be a big deal. But the key is All Elite Wrestling is the name of the group, and The Young Bucks and Kenny Omega own the Elite name for marketing purposes.

In addition, Double or Nothing was known to be the name of the second All In show, an idea for a show on a holiday weekend in the second quarter of 2019 in Las Vegas. This show is not confirmed by any means, but it was an idea and that was the name of it. The fact that somebody would be trademarking names that Cody and The Young Bucks came up with tells you that they are pretty serious about being in business with him. What we also know is that at this point there are no contracts signed. The only people who could even legally sign any contracts right now of people linked to this idea would be Cody and Brandi Rhodes as well as Chris Jericho, who has a New Japan deal but no contract for the North American market.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of people on the periphery, including rich people, some you know like Billy Corgan and Toby Keith, others you wouldn’t know, who are on the periphery of wrestling. Wanting to do a wrestling promotion in this day and age with top stars is, like every new high-level sports venture, dependent upon media deals. This is no longer a consumer buys tickets to live shows or PPV shows and talent gets a percentage of that revenue business. House show profit margins are too small. PPV alone is difficult, because unless it’s something gigantic, and for that, the sky is the limit, people get too much product at an inexpensive price so the masses aren’t as willing to spend big money for a monthly regular PPV offering.

The Jacksonville Jaguars, as well as Fulham FC of the English Premier League, are owned by Shahid Khan, 68, who Forbes Magazine once called the face of the American Dream, and as the 70th richest man in the U.S. and 221st richest man in the world with a net worth of $7 billion. He recently attempted, although the bid fell through, to purchase Wembley Stadium. His son, Tony Khan, 36, is a huge wrestling fan and is the person behind AEW. Khan is a well-known pro wrestling fan. He has been an Observer subscriber since he was a teenager and even sent in live event reports. He was part of some Internet wrestling groups. He knows many of the biggest names in wrestling and was considered one of the best friends of The Young Bucks. There were reports weeks ago listing the Khan Family as being involved with Jim Ross, Barry Bloom and Jericho. While all three have awareness of the project, and obviously Jericho would be a key free agent and Ross (who will be out of his WWE contract on 4/1) could be used, none at this point are close to sure things or earmarked necessarily for power positions.

The Elite group, if they do stick together, would be the key. Those close to the situation have also said that if The Young Bucks were to sign with WWE, that this project would likely not get off the ground. WWE’s aggressiveness in trying to sign up independent name talent likely stems in part of not wanting to leave any doors open, because in 1993, they thought they had WCW dead, and a few years later, they were the ones on the ropes. Still, when the story broke on 11/22, several WWE talents were interested.

But also, without a significant TV deal that pays enough to make a venture like this make sense, there really isn’t yet anything to the story. They could run at a loss early, and probably will, with the idea of establishing the idea they have a significant live television venture with the idea the value of live sports programming continues to increase, and streaming services are paying money figures right now that appear to make no economic sense to both boxing and MMA promotions. But while streaming with a group willing to pay has economic benefits, to get off the ground, you need the mainstream exposure to launch and build your brand, and television is still the only venue to make that work, even if the success of the All In show for one weekend contradicts that. But one destination event people traveled to once or even twice a year, or even a few more times than that, can’t alone carry and company that would be carrying high-paying talent.

A major key to this also involves Kenny Omega, who had vowed to stick with the Young Bucks, Cody and Page in that scene at the end of All In. It is known that Omega, and all of the parties involved, are interested in remaining with New Japan Pro Wrestling. It creates a situation because New Japan, ROH, CMLL and Revolution Pro have working agreements. The dynamics with New Japan and how they handle this is a very important part of this story, because the New Japan talent is some of the most valuable talent right now that isn’t under contract to WWE."

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 24th, '18, 08:28

Too long; Didn't read.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 24th, '18, 10:59

KILLdozer wrote: Nov 24th, '18, 08:28 Too long; Didn't read.
Lots of rich people backing this. No TV deal = big issue. Bucks still might go to WWE making this all a waste of time. Lots of moving parts and uncertainties.