Roman Reigns reveals leukemia diagnosis, relinquishes Universal title

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Roman Reigns reveals leukemia diagnosis, relinquishes Universal title

Post by cero2k » Oct 22nd, '18, 19:26

Source: f4wonline.com

Roman Reigns opened tonight's episode of Raw by announcing that he's battling leukemia.

After missing this weekend's house shows, Reigns came out at the start of the show and addressed the audience while using his real name. Reigns said he's been living with leukemia for 11 years and, unfortunately, it's back. Reigns said he'll have to relinquish the Universal Championship.

Reigns said he wasn't looking for sympathy or people to feel bad for him -- because he has faith. He was diagnosed with leukemia when he was 22 years old, and while that was at the hardest time of his life, he was able to put it in remission quickly. Reigns said WWE was the team that gave him a chance then. He thanked the fans for always reacting to him and making his dreams come true.

Reigns said life throws you a curveball sometimes, and the best thing for him to do is to focus on his family and his health. But he clarified that this wasn't a retirement speech.

"Because after I'm done whooping leukemia's ass once again, I'm coming back home," Reigns said. "And when I do, it's not going to just be about titles and being on top. No, it's about a purpose. I am coming back because I want to show all of you -- the whole world. I want to show my family, my friends, my children, and my wife that when life throws a curveball at me, I am the type of man that will stand in that batter's box -- I will crowd the plate, I will choke up, and I will swing for the fences every single time."

Reigns said he'll beat this, he'll be back, and he'll see everyone very, very soon. Reigns thanked the fans and told them he loves them. The fans chanted "Thank you Roman," Reigns shook hands with them as he walked up the ramp, and he posed with Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose, who were visibly emotional.

Big Red Machine

Re: Roman Reigns reveals leukemia diagnosis, relinquishes Universal title

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 22nd, '18, 19:45

Well f*ck. This is upsetting news.

But is it a bad sign that it took me less than three minutes to think that somewhere, in the back of his mind, Vince McMahon is thinking "if Roman does comes back there is no way they'll ever boo him again! I've finally done it, G-d dammit!" and also that he's probably at least hoping that this will take attention off of the whole Saudi Arabia kerfuffle? I feel bad about it, but my opinion of Vince really is that low at this point.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 22nd, '18, 20:15

^Get out. Vince has done wayyyyy more good when it mattered than he gets credit for.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 22nd, '18, 20:19

KILLdozer wrote: Oct 22nd, '18, 20:15 ^Get out. Vince has done wayyyyy more good when it mattered than he gets credit for.
I'm not disputing that he has been great with talent (and former talent) in helping them/giving them time/giving them money to deal with personal issues, and WWE does a lot for charity, but at this point I really think Vince has become so monomaniacal in terms of pushing Roman that I really do think that the thoughts have absolutely crossed his mind.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 22nd, '18, 22:31

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 22nd, '18, 20:19
KILLdozer wrote: Oct 22nd, '18, 20:15 ^Get out. Vince has done wayyyyy more good when it mattered than he gets credit for.
I'm not disputing that he has been great with talent (and former talent) in helping them/giving them time/giving them money to deal with personal issues, and WWE does a lot for charity, but at this point I really think Vince has become so monomaniacal in terms of pushing Roman that I really do think that the thoughts have absolutely crossed his mind.
Same.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be disappointed, but it would not shock me at all.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 22nd, '18, 22:45

i'm not gonna lie, after the initial "wtf" came the "is this a work?"

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 23rd, '18, 08:21

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 22nd, '18, 19:45

But is it a bad sign that it took me less than three minutes to think that somewhere, in the back of his mind, Vince McMahon is thinking "if Roman does comes back there is no way they'll ever boo him again! I've finally done it, G-d dammit!"
You're not wrong to be cynical here, but even if he did think that it's not an untrue statement. He's due for a monster babyface pop if he comes back. Who boos a man who beat cancer?
and also that he's probably at least hoping that this will take attention off of the whole Saudi Arabia kerfuffle? I feel bad about it, but my opinion of Vince really is that low at this point.
This however might be a bridge too far. To use a man's very real life threatening illness to get away from a political scandal is a little too evil. Plus I heard that the announcement was Roman's idea to raise awareness,
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 23rd, '18, 08:39

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 23rd, '18, 08:21 This however might be a bridge too far. To use a man's very real life threatening illness to get away from a political scandal is a little too evil. Plus I heard that the announcement was Roman's idea to raise awareness,
It's Vince McMahon, it's A LOT of money.

Faking a death? No, not Vince. Sacrificing your top star for a year or two (who wasn't really panning out the way you'd hoped) to get something else into the news outlet's mouths... I'll say it again, I'm believing the situation as is at face value, but given the circumstances and the people involved... c'mon now... I think it's fair that the idea has crossed people's minds.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 23rd, '18, 09:43

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 23rd, '18, 08:21
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 22nd, '18, 19:45

and also that he's probably at least hoping that this will take attention off of the whole Saudi Arabia kerfuffle? I feel bad about it, but my opinion of Vince really is that low at this point.
This however might be a bridge too far. To use a man's very real life threatening illness to get away from a political scandal is a little too evil. Plus I heard that the announcement was Roman's idea to raise awareness,
I'm not saying Vince would actively promote Roman's cancer, but just be happy about the possibility of the very news itself taking over the news cycle.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 23rd, '18, 10:28

My first thought after the shock was also wondering if it was a work, or at best, a swerve. Then my next thought was that when he comes back, he’ll be cheered to the moon and back, which I’m certain Vince has already considered.

Then the more I thought about it the more it kinda hit home. My mom has been fighting leukemia for years also, so I know how hard it is... I haven’t been able to think about anything else since last night.