NWA's Crockett Cup tournament to return in 2019

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

NWA's Crockett Cup tournament to return in 2019

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 22nd, '18, 11:44

Source: www.F4WOnline.com

By Bryan Rose | @br26 | Oct 21, 2018 9:10 pm

The Crockett Cup will be making its return next year.

Road Warrior Animal made the announcement tonight after the team he was managing (Jax Dane and Crimson) defeated the Kingdom of Jocephus (Shannon Moore and Crazzy Steve). There wasn’t a specific date for the return of the tournament other than it would be held in 2019. It will be held in association with the Crockett Foundation, which helps provide services to military veterans with mental disorders.

The tournament ran for three years in the 1980s under Jim Crockett Promotions, first starting in 1986. The Road Warriors won the inaugural tournament, with the Superpowers (Dusty Rhodes and Nikita Koloff) winning in 1987. The last tournament, held in 1988, had the team of Lex Luger and Sting defeating Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard in the finals.

In the past, the tournament was held under single elimination rules, consisting of 24 (22 in 1988) teams.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: NWA's Crockett Cup tournament to return in 2019

Post by cero2k » Oct 22nd, '18, 13:05

This is cool, indie wrestling really needed a good tag team tournament in the US

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 22nd, '18, 14:15

cero2k wrote: Oct 22nd, '18, 13:05 This is cool, indie wrestling really needed a good tag team tournament in the US
Yeah, but based on who Corgan has working for him, that's not what we're going to get, and unless their guys are going over, I don't see ROH giving much useful talent to this.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 22nd, '18, 14:33

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 22nd, '18, 14:15
cero2k wrote: Oct 22nd, '18, 13:05 This is cool, indie wrestling really needed a good tag team tournament in the US
Yeah, but based on who Corgan has working for him, that's not what we're going to get, and unless their guys are going over, I don't see ROH giving much useful talent to this.
but you know what, I don't really mind it. Aside from the Briscoes or Addiction, i don't care for the rest of the teams. Bucks are too big for this too IMO, so keep them away. I think this being the return, it could be a good chance to make it more of a talent search and get all those teams that are ready to take the next step.

I'd love to see guys like LAX, Rascalz, Z&E, Roppongi 3K maybe?, Violence Unlimited, Ugly Ducklings, teams around that level of stardom. NWA is in a position where they can't possibly afford the top names of the industry, so build a good promotion between the up and comers, and the vets timers that can still go like Aldis, Storm, War Veterans, etc.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 22nd, '18, 15:27

cero2k wrote: Oct 22nd, '18, 14:33
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 22nd, '18, 14:15
but you know what, I don't really mind it. Aside from the Briscoes or Addiction, i don't care for the rest of the teams. Bucks are too big for this too IMO, so keep them away. I think this being the return, it could be a good chance to make it more of a talent search and get all those teams that are ready to take the next step.

I'd love to see guys like LAX, Rascalz, Z&E, Roppongi 3K maybe?, Violence Unlimited, Ugly Ducklings, teams around that level of stardom. NWA is in a position where they can't possibly afford the top names of the industry, so build a good promotion between the up and comers, and the vets timers that can still go like Aldis, Storm, War Veterans, etc.
I despise the Ugly Ducklings. LAX and Rascalz would be great choices, especially as LAX have yet to really have a coming out party. Violence unlimited are the guys I would put over, given the choice, and then build my division around them. I'd like to see Homicide & Hernandez in there as well to lose in the first or second round, just to get a fun match out of them against Addiction or Briscoes or someone like that. But it's Corgan promotion his washed-up NWA. It's probably going to be guys like Shannon Moore.

Aldis... no. No more Aldis. Please.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation