'Filthy' Tom Lawlor released by UFC

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

'Filthy' Tom Lawlor released by UFC

Post by cero2k » Aug 13th, '18, 20:22

Source: f4wonline.com

"Filthy" Tom Lawlor's ten-year tenure in UFC ended today when he was released from the company, less than two months before his two-year drug test failure suspension expired.

Lawlor, 35, who wrestles independently, most notably with Major League Wrestling where he's one of their signature stars, was planning on returning to UFC when his suspension ended on October 10. Lawlor also does a regular weekly show, "Filthy Four Daily" with Bryan Alvarez on this site.

Lawlor failed a test for low levels of Ostarine on October 10, 2016, and had no explanation of how it got in his system. He went so far as to test an enhanced coffee that he had been given by someone, but that failed to be the answer.

Lawlor had a 10-6 record with 1 no contest as a fighter, with his most recent fight being a close decision loss to Corey Anderson on March 5, 2016, in Las Vegas. Anderson is currently the No. 6 ranked contender in the light heavyweight division. He had expected to return to the UFC in the fall.

Lawlor had asked for his release when being suspended and UFC declined to release him at the time.

"All things come to an end and it was inevitable that so would my time in UFC," said Lawlor. "Today I was informed that I will be released by the UFC despite my USADA suspension being nearly over and my previous requests for a release being denied. While the timing is unexpected, hopefully this opens the doors for me to continue with my mixed martial arts career as well as in the squared circle (squared circle is an old term for pro wrestling). Combat sports is one of my life’s great loves and I look forward to showing and sharing that with the fans as soon as possible."

He had done pro wrestling prior to UFC before being chosen for the cast of the eighth season of The Ultimate Fighter. Before that, he had won three NCWA small college national championships in wrestling while attending the University of Central Florida.