WWE's Kane to become next mayor of Knox County, Tennessee

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

WWE's Kane to become next mayor of Knox County, Tennessee

Post by cero2k » Aug 3rd, '18, 09:04

Source: f4wonline.com

As expected, Glenn Jacobs (WWE's Kane) is going to be the next mayor of Knox County, Tennessee.

Several local media outlets have projected Jacobs to defeat Democrat Linda Haney after taking a 66.56% to 33.44% lead in early and absentee voting. After barely coming out ahead in May's Republican primary, Jacobs was expected to easily win tonight's election.

Jacobs has declared victory tonight, while Haney is waiting for the full results to come in to comment. Jacobs will begin his term as mayor on September 1.

Jacobs returned to WWE television during the general election campaign, teaming with Daniel Bryan in a program against The Bludgeon Brothers. Their feud lasted a few weeks and culminated with Harper & Rowan retaining the SmackDown Tag Team titles at Extreme Rules on July 15. Jacobs was limited at the pay-per-view due to suffering an Achilles tendon injury on TV.

Haney criticized Jacobs for still wrestling while the campaign was going on, with Jacobs replying that his schedule was sporadic, that it wasn't different than if he had any other job, and that it didn't have an impact on his preparation. Jacobs told the Knoxville News Sentinel last month that he "may still do a few special things" with WWE after becoming mayor.

Travis Dorman, a reporter for the Knoxville News Sentinel, noted that WWE cameramen are with Jacobs tonight.

XIV

Re: WWE's Kane to become next mayor of Knox County, Tennessee

Post by XIV » Aug 3rd, '18, 23:33

I don’t have an issue with him being a mayor and wrestling. He has a job with WWE for life, his mayorship won’t last forever. So, just like any other job that a mayor would have occasionally he’s going to have to do it!

If he had an office job, nobody would say anything. The criticism only comes because his job is being a wrestler in front of millions of people and gives him huge exposure.
Have A Nice Day!

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 4th, '18, 09:33

I don't actually think a mayor has to do much. I don't go to city council meetings or anything, but I'm not a shut in. I'm a functioning member of my community and I have zero clue who our mayor is. We talk about this at work sometimes, I've had this conversation with several people, and nobody can put a definitive name on the mayor of our little town... and nobody seems to think this is a problem...

So, while it is a job, I think it might be one of those things he can phone in and still fulfill his obligations.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 4th, '18, 10:38

There's all sorts of congratulatory kayfabe destroying photos all over their fb about it, because fuck it, why not lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 4th, '18, 14:42

Bob-O wrote: Aug 4th, '18, 09:33 I don't actually think a mayor has to do much. I don't go to city council meetings or anything, but I'm not a shut in. I'm a functioning member of my community and I have zero clue who our mayor is. We talk about this at work sometimes, I've had this conversation with several people, and nobody can put a definitive name on the mayor of our little town... and nobody seems to think this is a problem...

So, while it is a job, I think it might be one of those things he can phone in and still fulfill his obligations.
it also changes city to city, i'm my city we have a mayor, but the person who really runs the city is the 'City Manager', mayor is just the poster boy and has some say on passing some decisions, but as you say, you still have the city council (who the mayor is part of) doing most of the deciding. I don't know how big Knox County is, so he may have more power on a smaller domain

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 4th, '18, 16:02

cero2k wrote: Aug 4th, '18, 14:42
Bob-O wrote: Aug 4th, '18, 09:33 I don't actually think a mayor has to do much. I don't go to city council meetings or anything, but I'm not a shut in. I'm a functioning member of my community and I have zero clue who our mayor is. We talk about this at work sometimes, I've had this conversation with several people, and nobody can put a definitive name on the mayor of our little town... and nobody seems to think this is a problem...

it also changes city to city, i'm my city we have a mayor, but the person who really runs the city is the 'City Manager', mayor is just the poster boy and has some say on passing some decisions, but as you say, you still have the city council (who the mayor is part of) doing most of the deciding. I don't know how big Knox County is, so he may have more power on a smaller domain
He's the mayor of the County, which Wikipedia is saying is about 450k people in a 500 mile area. To put it into perspective for myself, I searched my own county to find we're twice as big with half the people - and half of them are in one city. Has me thinking there must be a major-ish city included Knox County (Knoxville maybe?).