Additional WWE TV Shows Airing On Fox

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Bob-O

Additional WWE TV Shows Airing On Fox

Post by Bob-O » Jul 2nd, '18, 21:05

Source: barnburner.ca

Before I discuss the major news surrounding WWE's television deal with Fox, I wanted to take a moment to humbly thank Barn Burner for the opportunity to cover sports and professional wrestling as a featured journalist and podcast co-host. I sincerely believe we have a special team of athletes, entertainers and journalists. It's truly an honor and I hope everyone who isn't already familiar with my work will enjoy it.

I have learned that an occasional special event, thought to be a reboot of Saturday Night's Main Event, will be televised once WWE enters its new television deals with Fox and NBCU. The special is expected to happen several times throughout the year, with each event being strategically placed before big dates, like the Saturday night before the NFL's Super Bowl. Airing of the events would be split between NBC and Fox. WWE was scheduled to announce this between the end of 2018 and the beginning of 2019.

Saturday Night's Main Event, which was first launched in 1985, was a massive ratings success for WWE by 1987. The show is often remembered for its battle royal involving Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan, before their match at WrestleMania III. WWE attempted to relaunch the show on NBC between 2006 and 2008 but didn't seem to quite capture the magic of the original.

Fox has also agreed in principle to air NXT on Fox Sports 1. While the contract hasn't been signed yet, it's considered to be a done deal. WWE was originally scheduled to announce this during SummerSlam weekend, although it could take place sooner now. The possibility of adding more NXT TakeOver shows and airing them on Fox is also being considered.

NXT TakeOver shows will also expand by one hour, and start airing at 7:00 PM ET. That change is expected to take place probably by November.