NJPW Best Of the Super Juniors Participants Announced, Flip Gordon + 12 More

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

NJPW Best Of the Super Juniors Participants Announced, Flip Gordon + 12 More

Post by cero2k » Apr 23rd, '18, 15:59

Source: f4wonline.com

Advertising for this year's Best of the Super Juniors appears to have revealed most of the lineup for the tournament.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Will Ospreay, Hiromu Takahashi, KUSHIDA, Marty Scurll, Flip Gordon, Dragon Lee, BUSHI, Sho, Yoh, Ryusuke Taguchi, Tiger Mask IV, El Desperado, and Yoshinobu Kanemaru are featured on the poster. Assuming there will again be 16 wrestlers in the field, there are only three names left to be announced.

Gordon officially confirmed on Twitter that he'll be in the tournament. It was teased that he would be taking part in it when he wrestled for NJPW for the first time on their Honor Rising tour with ROH in February.

Dragon Lee suffered a knee/leg injury at CMLL's Arena Mexico show last Friday. The severity of it has yet to be confirmed, but Luchablog notes that he was back in the gym yesterday.

This year's Best of the Super Juniors will begin at Korakuen Hall on May 18th and conclude at the venue on June 4th. If Ospreay doesn't win the tournament, the winner will likely challenge for his title at Dominion on June 9th.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: NJPW Best Of the Super Juniors Participants Announced, Flip Gordon + 12 More

Post by cero2k » Apr 23rd, '18, 16:01

they're missing 3 and they only really left out Taka. I wonder if they're shooting for a big name to be revealed later on

Big Red Machine

Re: NJPW Best Of the Super Juniors Participants Announced, Flip Gordon + 12 More

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 23rd, '18, 16:32

cero2k wrote: Apr 23rd, '18, 15:59 Source: f4wonline.com

This year's Best of the Super Juniors will begin at Korakuen Hall on May 18th and conclude at the venue on June 4th. If Ospreay doesn't win the tournament, the winner will likely challenge for his title at Dominion on June 9th.
This here is the interesting part, because it all depends on Rey's timing. If I were them and the timing worked out, I would totally have the champion win the tournament, just to establish that as a possibility for future years.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 23rd, '18, 16:47

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 23rd, '18, 16:32

This here is the interesting part, because it all depends on Rey's timing. If I were them and the timing worked out, I would totally have the champion win the tournament, just to establish that as a possibility for future years.
given the storyline and the participants, you can totally do that letting Ospreay get more and more established and hopefully have Ospreay vs Mysterio at Dominion. The only realistic options to win are KUSHIDA and Scurll anyway and they'll both be defeated by then.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 23rd, '18, 16:56

cero2k wrote: Apr 23rd, '18, 16:47
Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 23rd, '18, 16:32

given the storyline and the participants, you can totally do that letting Ospreay get more and more established and hopefully have Ospreay vs Mysterio at Dominion. The only realistic options to win are KUSHIDA and Scurll anyway and they'll both be defeated by then.
Yeah. I really can't even come up with some sort of outsider they could bring in and give it to in order to establish them right away (other than theoretically Gordon, but I hope they don't). Maybe Volador Jr. or Titan or Dragon Lee, but that's about it. ACH?

Actually, the biggest name they could theoretically give it to would be...
Hidden text.
Austin Aries

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 23rd, '18, 21:37

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 23rd, '18, 16:56

Yeah. I really can't even come up with some sort of outsider they could bring in and give it to in order to establish them right away (other than theoretically Gordon, but I hope they don't). Maybe Volador Jr. or Titan or Dragon Lee, but that's about it. ACH?

Actually, the biggest name they could theoretically give it to would be...
Hidden text.
Austin Aries
Aries would be awesome, he's working for both ROH and Impact and they both partner up with CMLL and AAA respectively, so i totally see it possible now.

Given the new ventures with RevPro and Australia, they could bring someone like Travis Banks, Mike Bailey, Adam Brookes, Robbie Eagles, and here's me crossing fingers, Josh Bodom. If everything else fails, there's the usual CMLL filler guys or someone like gresham

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 23rd, '18, 22:00

Bodom is working All Japan, so he's probably not an option.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 23rd, '18, 22:11

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 23rd, '18, 22:00 Bodom is working All Japan, so he's probably not an option.
that's why i crossed my fingers. AJPW and NJPW aren't in that bad of terms, Nagata is still tag champ with Akiyama over there

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 23rd, '18, 22:19

cero2k wrote: Apr 23rd, '18, 22:11
Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 23rd, '18, 22:00 Bodom is working All Japan, so he's probably not an option.
that's why i crossed my fingers. AJPW and NJPW aren't in that bad of terms, Nagata is still tag champ with Akiyama over there
I didn't realize that. I thought All Japan was basically working with everyone but NJPW. Is Nagata in the Champions Carnival?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 24th, '18, 08:56

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 23rd, '18, 22:19
I didn't realize that. I thought All Japan was basically working with everyone but NJPW. Is Nagata in the Champions Carnival?
nah, that is the one thing that I don't think NJPW would want since he already retired of the G1. I think they're like Impact and ROH, that they're not gonna start working together all of the sudden, but they're more ok with allowing certain people to work other shows.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 24th, '18, 09:28

Meltzer is hinting that one spot is likely Bone Soldier, and the man under the mask would be
Hidden text.
Taiji Ishimori

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 24th, '18, 12:02

cero2k wrote: Apr 24th, '18, 08:56
Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 23rd, '18, 22:19
nah, that is the one thing that I don't think NJPW would want since he already retired of the G1. I think they're like Impact and ROH, that they're not gonna start working together all of the sudden, but they're more ok with allowing certain people to work other shows.
I figured they'd be fine with it because it would make Champions Carnival look like it's less than the G1.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 24th, '18, 12:02

cero2k wrote: Apr 24th, '18, 09:28 Meltzer is hinting that one spot is likely Bone Soldier, and the man under the mask would be
Hidden text.
Taiji Ishimori
This is not what he needs to be doing.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 24th, '18, 12:23

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 24th, '18, 12:02

I figured they'd be fine with it because it would make Champions Carnival look like it's less than the G1.
that'd be an incredibly dick move and mentality out of them and I'm sure Nagata wouldn't be down with that. It may have also been Nagata thinking he can't hang for a whole other tournament.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 24th, '18, 12:24

not if he indeed wants to go to WWE, but if he had intentions of making some noise in NJPW, it could lead somewhere if he unmasks

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 24th, '18, 12:34

cero2k wrote: Apr 24th, '18, 12:24
not if he indeed wants to go to WWE, but if he had intentions of making some noise in NJPW, it could lead somewhere if he unmasks
He'd be much better off just being Ishimori. Tiger Mask W did nothing for Ibushi, and being in Bullet Club for any length of time will make him second fiddle in his division to Marty. Suzuki-Gun are the ones lacking a singles Jr. Heavyweight, but I honestly don't want to see him there, either. Why can't he just be babyface Taiji Ishimori?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 24th, '18, 12:51

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 24th, '18, 12:34

He'd be much better off just being Ishimori. Tiger Mask W did nothing for Ibushi, and being in Bullet Club for any length of time will make him second fiddle in his division to Marty. Suzuki-Gun are the ones lacking a singles Jr. Heavyweight, but I honestly don't want to see him there, either. Why can't he just be babyface Taiji Ishimori?
there's nothing wrong, but maybe NJPW doesn't want a babyface Ishimori and maybe Ishimori doesn't want to appear in NJPW as himself. Tiger Mask W didn't do anything for Ibushi because it wasn't supposed to.