Katsuyori Shibata named head coach of New Japan's Los Angeles dojo

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Katsuyori Shibata named head coach of New Japan's Los Angeles dojo

Post by cero2k » Mar 5th, '18, 10:04

Source: f4wonline.com

Katsuyori Shibata has been named head coach of New Japan's Los Angeles dojo.

New Japan made the announcement tonight, with New Japan's English site confirming the news shortly thereafter. It was also announced that Scorpio Sky, who currently wrestles for Ring of Honor as a part of SoCal Uncensored, will be the assistant coach.

“With rehab and training, I’ve been sensing it’s time to move past the struggle of finding what I am capable of doing" Shibata told the website. "These days, I’ve had a burning desire to take on a new challenge… What can I do in my current state? I thought a change of pace was needed, and the next thing I knew, I found myself in Los Angeles."

"The good, classic Japanese pro-wrestling is starting to disappear from the current wrestling world" he added. "But we must never lose that fighting attitude and spirit of traditional Japanese pro-wrestling. I have accepted the mission to open the gates and transcend the cultural differences to pass down our knowledge to the younger generation."

Shibata's career ended last year after suffering a subdural hematoma in a match against Kazuchika Okada at last April's Sakura Genesis. The last time he appeared in a New Japan ring was at the G1 Finals in August when he appeared in front of the crowd, simply remarking that he was alive.

New Japan's LA dojo starts their spring camp on March 19. The first session will run through March 23. Another will start on March 26 and will end on March 30.