UK title number one contender's match set for pre-TakeOver tapings

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

UK title number one contender's match set for pre-TakeOver tapings

Post by cero2k » Jan 26th, '18, 13:15

Source: f4wonline.com

Prior to TakeOver: Philadelphia going on the air tomorrow night, there will be a WWE United Kingdom Championship number one contender's match on the pre-show television tapings.

Roderick Strong will be facing Tyler Bate, with the winner getting a future shot at Pete Dunne's title. Strong vs. Bate will air on Wednesday's episode of NXT television.

Bate was the last person in WWE to challenge Dunne for the title, losing to him in a match that aired on December 20th.

Nikki Cross vs. Lacey Evans and the in-ring return of TM61 have also been advertised for Wednesday's episode and will be taped prior to TakeOver.

There will be an hour-long pre-show before TakeOver begins. Renee Young and Corey Graves will host the NXT year-end awards, and Charly Caruso, Sam Roberts, and Samoa Joe will appear on the pre-show panel.

The main card for TakeOver: Philadelphia has Johnny Gargano challenging Andrade "Cien" Almas for the NXT Championship, Adam Cole vs. Aleister Black in an extreme rules match, NXT Women's Champion Ember Moon defending against Shayna Baszler, Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly putting their Tag Team titles on the line against The Authors of Pain, and Kassius Ohno vs. Velveteen Dream.

XIV

Re: UK title number one contender's match set for pre-TakeOver tapings

Post by XIV » Jan 27th, '18, 14:31

The whole point of this title is for UK based competitors to compete for this title. Roddy Strong getting a shot would piss me off, even if the plan would be to get Pete Dunne over.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 27th, '18, 16:21

XIV wrote: Jan 27th, '18, 14:31 The whole point of this title is for UK based competitors to compete for this title. Roddy Strong getting a shot would piss me off, even if the plan would be to get Pete Dunne over.
The whole point of this was to have an excuse to lock up some of the bigger UK names in such a way that they wouldn't be able to work for the theorized World of Sport show that ITV was planning on doing and shot a pilot for. That's why these guys have been allowed to work for RevPro and PROGRESS and wXw and others whereas WWE contracts in North America don't work that way.

Though, if my suspicions are correct, WWE probably won't let some of these guys work for RevPro anymore starting rather soon- or at least force them to work dark matches- in retaliation for RevPro moving into the ROH/CMLL/New Japan fold.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 27th, '18, 22:08

They're clearly moving away from strictly UK guys and pretty much turning it into a European title where anyone is possible, at least I'm guessing.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 28th, '18, 05:54

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 27th, '18, 16:21
XIV wrote: Jan 27th, '18, 14:31 The whole point of this title is for UK based competitors to compete for this title. Roddy Strong getting a shot would piss me off, even if the plan would be to get Pete Dunne over.
The whole point of this was to have an excuse to lock up some of the bigger UK names in such a way that they wouldn't be able to work for the theorized World of Sport show that ITV was planning on doing and shot a pilot for. That's why these guys have been allowed to work for RevPro and PROGRESS and wXw and others whereas WWE contracts in North America don't work that way.

Though, if my suspicions are correct, WWE probably won't let some of these guys work for RevPro anymore starting rather soon- or at least force them to work dark matches- in retaliation for RevPro moving into the ROH/CMLL/New Japan fold.
Oh I get the talent lock thing, I understand that much, but the title had a specific kayfabe purpose... it was for the UK guys to challenge for... and I fear that may get lost..

Side note... None of the WWE UK guys like Bate, Dunne, Seven, Mandrews etc have been allowed to work for WCPW (Defiant Wrestling or whatever) either consdering WWE's absolute disdain for them and that's even considering that WWE allowed their UK Champion to face Impact Champion Austin Aries (it wasn't in TNA and it was ruined by James fucking Ellsworth... but still)
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 28th, '18, 12:30

XIV wrote: Jan 28th, '18, 05:54

Oh I get the talent lock thing, I understand that much, but the title had a specific kayfabe purpose... it was for the UK guys to challenge for... and I fear that may get lost..

Side note... None of the WWE UK guys like Bate, Dunne, Seven, Mandrews etc have been allowed to work for WCPW (Defiant Wrestling or whatever) either consdering WWE's absolute disdain for them and that's even considering that WWE allowed their UK Champion to face Impact Champion Austin Aries (it wasn't in TNA and it was ruined by James fucking Ellsworth... but still)
I could have sworn that during the world cup they were thanking WWE for letting someone come in and work for the to fill a hole that had been created by some injury or something.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 28th, '18, 13:28

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 28th, '18, 12:30
XIV wrote: Jan 28th, '18, 05:54

I could have sworn that during the world cup they were thanking WWE for letting someone come in and work for the to fill a hole that had been created by some injury or something.
You could be right. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility.

But WCPW is one of the top 5 UK wrestling promotions and they never get any of those guys.

Which is odd considering the guys who consistently insulted WWE have now left WhatCulture.
Have A Nice Day!