Michael Elgin Dropped from Indy Shows, Replaced with Jeff Cobb after Multiple Controversies

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Michael Elgin Dropped from Indy Shows, Replaced with Jeff Cobb after Multiple Controversies

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 6th, '17, 20:06

Source: www.F4WOnline.com

Smash Wrestling in Canada announced that they’ve suspended Michael Elgin’s bookings for December 17th and January 19th and Limitless Wrestling in Maine announced that Elgin has been replaced by Jeff Cobb on their January 19th show. The issues stem from how Elgin handled a sexual assault allegation that was made against Sean Orleans, who was a former student of Elgin’s and wrestled for his Glory Pro promotion until being let go after the allegation was made public. Both promotions released statements about their shows being inclusive, welcoming, fun, and safe environments, with Smash Wrestling citing Elgin’s potential knowledge of the incident before it was publicly revealed as the reason for their decision. Cobb being announced as Elgin’s replacement comes after private messages of Elgin criticizing Cobb as a tag team partner in NJPW had been released. Elgin issued a statement about the situation before later deactivating his Twitter account.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Michael Elgin Dropped from Indy Shows, Replaced with Jeff Cobb after Multiple Controversies

Post by cero2k » Dec 7th, '17, 08:29

Jeff Cobb one:

there's a whole saga in her twitter if anyone wants to dig in.

Big Red Machine

Re: Michael Elgin Dropped from Indy Shows, Replaced with Jeff Cobb after Multiple Controversies

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 7th, '17, 09:54

It's an issue of he-said/she-said, unfortunately, and unless there is someone else there to corroborate one way or the other, it's not fair to blackball someone simply off of one unproven accusation. Multiple accusations- even if unproven- is a different story, but if it's just one then I'm uncomfortable with ruining someone's life and career for it. Innocent until proven guilty.
She also comes off poorly for her total lack of understanding Elgin's apparent history here, and why he might feel the need to be skeptical. That being said, eight months is a long time for an investigation into this sort of thing in a "simple" (for lack of a better term) he-said/she-said case, and (at least from her side of the story) it seems like Elgin was not very clear in his communication with her of what actions he was taking and why (and history has proven that communication is not one of Elgin's strengths).
While Elgin does come off as extremely arrogant in the conversation about Cobb, let's not forget that what she has done with this is try to bolster her own case in the matter of "Elgin was negligent in the matter of taking action about a potential abuser within his promotion" by releasing private messages he sent to her about an entirely different matter that make Elgin look bad, but in a completely unrelated way. That's not the right way to go about trying to prove your case.
(And, based on my observations, Elgin isn't wrong about Cobb not being over and having a distinct lack of fire.)
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 7th, '17, 10:40

it's a weird situation, Elgin is taking all the heat for the sexual accusation of someone else, i imagine there is a proper way to handle something like this and Elgin took the completely opposite approach. I'm not saying completely bury that Sean Orlands guy, but he's really antagonizing this woman too.

As to his comments about Cobb, from what i've watched, i think he's as over (if not slightly more) than Elgin was when he barely started in NJPW (considering Elgin debuted in a G1 against the best guys). Does Cobb lack fire, sure, but he always lacks fire, it's not in his face I guess. But Elgin is complaining that Cobb only hangs out with War Machine, well fuck yeah, who would want to hang out with Elgin? I've met him on two occacions, tried to start a conversation, and he came off as a total dick and I walked away thinking what a pain in the ass he is, so I read those msgs and that is totally how Elgin comes off. If you ask me, Elgin is worried about his powerhouse spot in NJPW because Cobb is faster, stronger, more athletic, and fans DEFINITELY like Cobb more. If Cobb is not good for NJPW, then let the NJPW office decide, but Elgin's comments about "I know what gets over" blah blah sounds like he's gonna politic Cobb away.