Cody & The Young Bucks planning to self-finance 10,000 seat show

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Cody & The Young Bucks planning to self-finance 10,000 seat show

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 28th, '17, 14:31

Source: www.f4wonline.com

By Joseph Currier | @josephcurrier | Nov 28, 2017 10:48 am

One of the more interesting planned non-WWE pro wrestling shows of 2018 appears closer to becoming a reality.

After Cody Rhodes posted a picture with The Young Bucks and Marty Scurll on a "scouting trip" at a venue earlier this month, Pro Wrestling Sheet reported that Cody and The Young Bucks are in talks with multiple venues to self-finance a 10,000 seat show in 2018. The report noted that the show, which has been talked about for months, is currently planned to be called "All In" and mentioned Chicago, London, San Francisco, and Ontario, California as possibilities for where it could take place.

The idea originated from a Twitter exchange between Dave Meltzer and Cody in May, with Cody taking it as a challenge when Meltzer answered "not any time soon" when someone asked if Ring of Honor could sell over 10,000 tickets to an event. Cody and the Bucks would be partnering with ROH on the show if they're able to reach an agreement.

Cody tweeted last night: "We can't comment officially until we confirm the location, but we are far enough in the process to say it's happening. In 2018. And we are swinging for the damn fences... dare to Dream"

Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez discussed the planned event on last night's edition of Wrestling Observer Radio, with Meltzer saying it's not a done deal because Cody and Matt & Nick Jackson would need ROH's approval. Meltzer mentioned that there hasn't been a non-WWE show to sell 10,000 tickets in the United States since WCW stopped operating, that it could still be a success if they fall short of their goal, and that he thinks Cody and the Bucks are hoping to make the announcement soon if they're able to finalize everything.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Cody & The Young Bucks planning to self-finance 10,000 seat show

Post by cero2k » Nov 28th, '17, 15:14

If they go for the Cow Palace, I may consider going. A wrestling show in the Cow Palace has been in my bucket list for a while.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 28th, '17, 15:39

The Cow Palace seems like a good strategic choice, too, as it is somewhere they really haven't been much, is a logical place to pair with an ROH trip out west. The next one is in March for the Anniversary show, I think, so they could do PPV Friday tapings Saturday, Bullet Club show in SF on Sunday, plus there is usually some New Japan representation at those shows so depending on who New Japan wants in the New Japan Cup they could benefit from that as well, plus they could pitch it to ROH (and NJPW) as a scouting expedition to see how they might do in NorCal to get those groups to give them the necessary permissions to run their own show despite their contracts.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 28th, '17, 15:51

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 28th, '17, 15:39 The Cow Palace seems like a good strategic choice, too, as it is somewhere they really haven't been much, is a logical place to pair with an ROH trip out west. The next one is in March for the Anniversary show, I think, so they could do PPV Friday tapings Saturday, Bullet Club show in SF on Sunday, plus there is usually some New Japan representation at those shows so depending on who New Japan wants in the New Japan Cup they could benefit from that as well, plus they could pitch it to ROH (and NJPW) as a scouting expedition to see how they might do in NorCal to get those groups to give them the necessary permissions to run their own show despite their contracts.
plus the next NJPW USA shows are in march in Long Beach, so most top guys may actually be in the country anyway, BUT they will also take paying customers away

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Nov 28th, '17, 16:35

I got all excited when I read Ontario, because I could make a weekend trip out there... only for them to specify Ontario, California.

Took the wind right out of my sails.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 28th, '17, 16:41

cero2k wrote: Nov 28th, '17, 15:51
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 28th, '17, 15:39 The Cow Palace seems like a good strategic choice, too, as it is somewhere they really haven't been much, is a logical place to pair with an ROH trip out west. The next one is in March for the Anniversary show, I think, so they could do PPV Friday tapings Saturday, Bullet Club show in SF on Sunday, plus there is usually some New Japan representation at those shows so depending on who New Japan wants in the New Japan Cup they could benefit from that as well, plus they could pitch it to ROH (and NJPW) as a scouting expedition to see how they might do in NorCal to get those groups to give them the necessary permissions to run their own show despite their contracts.
plus the next NJPW USA shows are in march in Long Beach, so most top guys may actually be in the country anyway, BUT they will also take paying customers away
Yeah. It's also not impossible that they would want to do this without so much help from New Japan and ROH. If the idea is for them to draw the house, they might not want a Tanahashi or Naito or Okada or even guys like The Briscoes (who rarely ever work on the west coast) on the show with them because having them on there could be used as an argument to say that they didn't draw the whole house and thus this wouldn't give them the leverage they want in negotiations. I can see this card being mostly Bullet Club guys, plus a few others who either they know they can have the matches they want with. Guys like Flip Gordon, Ricochet, Sydal, RPG Vice/Best Friends, ACH, and maybe some moderately-sized Lucha names (assuming that ROH/CMLL/NJPW alliance-related politics don't get in the way of that), and maybe also some in-demand guys like SPPT, Myron Reed, or Jinny (if you're booking SPPT why not book someone for Dahlia, too?) who will get people excited and make the show seem unique without overshadowing Bullet Club as the big names. I'd be shocked if any non-Bullet Club person with a bigger name than Ospreay shows up. Maybe Liger.

I can see a card like:
Cody/Omega/Bucks (w/Amell?) vs. Flip/Ricochet/Sydal/Flamita
Bad Luck Fale vs. Keith Lee
Best Roppongi Friends vs. Guerrillas of Destiny & Leo Tonga (some sort of Haku appearance?)
Marty vs. Liger
Tokyo Pimps vs. SPPT
Dahlia Black vs. "Bullet Babe" Amber Gallows
Chase Owens vs. Myron Reed
Ospreay vs. ACH
Yano vs. Cheeseburger?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 28th, '17, 22:23

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 28th, '17, 16:41
Yeah. It's also not impossible that they would want to do this without so much help from New Japan and ROH. If the idea is for them to draw the house, they might not want a Tanahashi or Naito or Okada or even guys like The Briscoes (who rarely ever work on the west coast) on the show with them because having them on there could be used as an argument to say that they didn't draw the whole house and thus this wouldn't give them the leverage they want in negotiations. I can see this card being mostly Bullet Club guys, plus a few others who either they know they can have the matches they want with. Guys like Flip Gordon, Ricochet, Sydal, RPG Vice/Best Friends, ACH, and maybe some moderately-sized Lucha names (assuming that ROH/CMLL/NJPW alliance-related politics don't get in the way of that), and maybe also some in-demand guys like SPPT, Myron Reed, or Jinny (if you're booking SPPT why not book someone for Dahlia, too?) who will get people excited and make the show seem unique without overshadowing Bullet Club as the big names. I'd be shocked if any non-Bullet Club person with a bigger name than Ospreay shows up. Maybe Liger.

I can see a card like:
Best Roppongi Friends vs. Guerrillas of Destiny & Leo Tonga (some sort of Haku appearance?)
Marty vs. Liger
Tokyo Pimps vs. SPPT
Ospreay vs. ACH
Yano vs. Cheeseburger?
that's an interesting way of seeing it, i figured that they would use all the power that ROH could give, I think at the end of the day, it should all end in benefit of ROH. It will NEED ROH and NJPW to build up the storylines because that's the only way I think they can sell a 10K seater, a random show of random matches won't work, otherwise just let Super Dragon book a PWG show with the Bullet Club. As dave suggested, this should be the culmination of Cody vs Omega, something to really bring people out other than seeing the Bullet Club.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 29th, '17, 08:28

Cody Wants Bryan Danielson for the main event

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/cody-r ... h3ccrT81E4

The 10,000 seat event Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks are planning to self-finance in 2018 has now been confirmed by all parties and the ROH champ has an ideal main event in mind.

Cody appeared on Sirius XM‘s Busted Open today and revealed that his dream opponent for the main event is Daniel Bryan, whose WWE contract will expire next summer.

Rhodes said he can’t reveal too much until the location is locked down, but reiterated that they are “swinging for the damn fences.”

As we previously reported, the trio are in talks with multiple venues to put on a 10K seat event with Chicago, London, San Francisco and Ontario (CA) being the location front-runners.

When host Bully Ray asked why they’re doing this, Cody said it’s because they want to leave the wrestling business better than when they found it.

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmrush/cod ... main-event

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 30th, '17, 08:40

cero2k wrote: Nov 28th, '17, 22:23
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 28th, '17, 16:41

I can see a card like:
Marty vs. Liger
Tokyo Pimps vs. SPPT
Ospreay vs. ACH
Yano vs. Cheeseburger?
that's an interesting way of seeing it, i figured that they would use all the power that ROH could give, I think at the end of the day, it should all end in benefit of ROH. It will NEED ROH and NJPW to build up the storylines because that's the only way I think they can sell a 10K seater, a random show of random matches won't work, otherwise just let Super Dragon book a PWG show with the Bullet Club. As dave suggested, this should be the culmination of Cody vs Omega, something to really bring people out other than seeing the Bullet Club.
Doing this as the Cody-Omega blow-off (or at least the first match between them) is a great idea. It's a Bullet Club vs. Bullet Club issue, so it makes sense that it would be settled on a Bullet Club show. Plus, we've seen Suzuki-Gun run their won shows when there was a kayfabe need for it, so why not have Bullet Club do the same thing?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation