Taya Valkyrie to miss Bound for Glory, next week's Impact tapings

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Taya Valkyrie to miss Bound for Glory, next week's Impact tapings

Post by cero2k » Nov 4th, '17, 16:33

Source: f4wonline.com
On the day before the pay-per-view, the card for Impact Wrestling's biggest show of the year lost one of its matches.

Impact announced today that Taya Valkyrie, who had been scheduled to face Rosemary in a Red Wedding match (a first blood match) at Bound for Glory, wouldn't be able to make the PPV or their subsequent television tapings. In their announcement, Impact noted that Valkyrie not being there is due to circumstances out of their control and they look forward to her being back in the promotion in 2018.

Valkyrie expanded on the announcement, writing on Twitter that her missing the shows is due to personal reasons. She hyped up that the Red Wedding match will still happen when she returns in January.

Impact has yet to confirm whether or not Rosemary will still wrestle at Bound for Glory. In the show's Knockouts title match, Sienna will defend her championship against Gail Kim and Allie.

Bound for Glory will take place at the Aberdeen Pavilion in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada tomorrow night, with the venue also set to host five days of Impact tapings from November 6-10.

Big Red Machine

Re: Taya Valkyrie to miss Bound for Glory, next week's Impact tapings

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 4th, '17, 22:18

A "Red Wedding Match?" Really, TNA? That's beyond WWE-levels of desperation.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 6th, '17, 11:40

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 4th, '17, 22:18 A "Red Wedding Match?" Really, TNA? That's beyond WWE-levels of desperation.
Red Wedding has been Rosemary's finisher since she debuted plus it was a first blood match, so it's not that off. It would actually be better suited for Taya's queen gimmick tho

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 6th, '17, 13:23

cero2k wrote: Nov 6th, '17, 11:40
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 4th, '17, 22:18 A "Red Wedding Match?" Really, TNA? That's beyond WWE-levels of desperation.
Red Wedding has been Rosemary's finisher since she debuted plus it was a first blood match, so it's not that off. It would actually be better suited for Taya's queen gimmick tho
If the "Red Wedding" is the name of a move and you tell me it's a "Red Wedding Match" then it sounds to me like the stip is that the first person to hit said move wins. If you're doing a First Blood Match, just call it that.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 6th, '17, 14:17

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 6th, '17, 13:23
If the "Red Wedding" is the name of a move and you tell me it's a "Red Wedding Match" then it sounds to me like the stip is that the first person to hit said move wins. If you're doing a First Blood Match, just call it that.
you have no sense for theatrics and drama, sir

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 6th, '17, 14:58

cero2k wrote: Nov 6th, '17, 14:17
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 6th, '17, 13:23
you have no sense for theatrics and drama, sir
This isn't "theatrics and drama." To follow your metaphor this is corny overacting.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 6th, '17, 15:36

slight overacting, it's just a nickname for a match, it's not an actual stipulation, it's not like it's a house of horrors, with an actual house...of horrors

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 6th, '17, 16:36

cero2k wrote: Nov 6th, '17, 15:36 slight overacting, it's just a nickname for a match, it's not an actual stipulation, it's not like it's a house of horrors, with an actual house...of horrors
Exactly my point. This is pro wrestling, and pro wrestling has certain established conventions. In a "Cage Match," the cage plays a significant role. A "Tables Match" requires a table to win. A "Ladder Match" almost entirely revolves around the ladder, etc. If you're going to call this a "Red Wedding Match" people are going to inherently expect it to revolve around the Rd wedding. If it's not going to revolve around the Red Wedding, then don't call it that, especially when there is a well-established name for the type of match this is. As dumb as it was, the House of Horrors Match did have an actual House of Horrors in it. it was dumb, but it wasn't inherently bad advertising.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 6th, '17, 18:54

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 6th, '17, 16:36
Exactly my point. This is pro wrestling, and pro wrestling has certain established conventions. In a "Cage Match," the cage plays a significant role. A "Tables Match" requires a table to win. A "Ladder Match" almost entirely revolves around the ladder, etc. If you're going to call this a "Red Wedding Match" people are going to inherently expect it to revolve around the Rd wedding. If it's not going to revolve around the Red Wedding, then don't call it that, especially when there is a well-established name for the type of match this is. As dumb as it was, the House of Horrors Match did have an actual House of Horrors in it. it was dumb, but it wasn't inherently bad advertising.
Impact Gauntlet Match = WWE Royal Rumble Match = LU Aztec Warfare
LU Deathmatch = WWE Extreme Rules Match = Impact Monster's Ball/Harcore match = ROH Fight Without Honor

they're just names, is it really that confusing? red wedding is a nickname to a match, it's not a stipulation, and if they want to make it a stipulation, that's awesome, start branding the type of match, unique to your own promotion, like Grave Consequences or Guerrilla Warfare or Ladder War.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 6th, '17, 21:25

cero2k wrote: Nov 6th, '17, 18:54
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 6th, '17, 16:36
Impact Gauntlet Match = WWE Royal Rumble Match = LU Aztec Warfare
LU Deathmatch = WWE Extreme Rules Match = Impact Monster's Ball/Harcore match = ROH Fight Without Honor

they're just names, is it really that confusing? red wedding is a nickname to a match, it's not a stipulation, and if they want to make it a stipulation, that's awesome, start branding the type of match, unique to your own promotion, like Grave Consequences or Guerrilla Warfare or Ladder War.
Except those match you named are all different:
A Royal Rumble is a battle royale with staggered entrances. Aztec Warfare is an elimination match with staggered entrances. TNA's Gauntlet Match is like a Royal Rumble until you get down to the final two, at which point it becomes pinfall or submission only. And how many times have you heard people complaining about TNA calling theirs a "Gauntlet Match" when it's not the same as what WWE (and ROH, and LU, and New Japan and every single other company I've seen book a "Gauntlet Match") calls a "Gauntlet Match?" Because I hear it literally every single time they book one, and I myself often forget how the match works until the third person enters.

I don't remember LU ever billing anything as a "Deathmatch" but if they did, I'm sure it felt a lot more like something you'd see in CZW than something you'd see in WWE. I'd also bet that either MIl Muertes or Vampiro were involved in every single one.

The thing with Monster's Ball was originally not just the stip, but the idea that competitors were locked in a dark room for the twenty-four hours immediately preceding the match, with no food or water, and that the only thing they were thinking about was how much they hated their opponents and what they were going to do to them. It felt special. Then f*cking Russo got his hands on it and started booking them every damn month, with no build, and just started calling it a "Monster's Ball" every time they put Abyss in a weapons match.

As for a "Fight Without Honor," the actual gimmick originally was that the Code of Honor was being waved for this match, and that included not just shaking hands, but it also no interferences and the general "don't do anything to get yourself disqualified" rule. For Joe vs. Ki at Glory By Honor, all they needed was to not shake hands because it was the company avatar babyface vs. The Prophecy's hired assassin. No rules were broken in that match, because that's what fit for that feud. When Homicide and Trent Acid had theirs at WrestleRave '03, interferences and weapons and stuff made sense, as both guys had their own back-up, and it let Gabe show how having his gang (and especially Julius Smokes) around was influencing Homicide in exactly the way that Low Ki was warning Homicide it would. It also made sense to use weapons and stuff in Walters vs. Xavier because the whole angle had been that Xavier was cheating to beat Walters, so this would level the playing field by giving Walters license to do things that his adherence to the Code of Honor would otherwise prevent him from doing.
When Gabe revamped the Code of Honor during the post-RF Reborn series of shows, the idea of a "Fight Without Honor" as the name for ROH's big blow-off stuck around because it sounded cool and different, and still fit the theme of the promotion ("Guerrilla Warfare" fits into this category for PWG). From then on they had weapons matches, but the term "Fight Without Honor" itself was protected. There have been eighteen Fights Without Honor in ROH history. Of those , only three have not been the absolute, indisputable blow-off to the feud (unless it started up again later like Steen vs. Generico), and aside from the first Lethal vs. Ki Fight Without Honor (which only wasn't the blow-off because they had a second one later that night), you can still make an argument that the other two were the blow-offs to the specific feud in the match (the WGTT vs. Briscoes one was the last time they met as teams, but Jay and Haas had an individual blow-off the next month in a Texas Deathmatch, and Roddy and Delirious met again two weeks later in the crazy Delirious & The Resilience vs. No Remorse Corps & Matt Sydal brawl at Death Before Dishonor V: Night 2, but that was just as much to move Delirious into a feud with Sydal as it was to play off Delirious' recent feud with Roddy and to find a way get Sydal somehow involved in the "Generation Next Breaks Up" feud).

Grave Consequences is something I would put in the same category as a Fight Without Honor because its a cooler name that fits the flavor of Mil Muertes who (I believe) has been involved in all of them. I also give LU a bit more license with these things because Dario is the one booking the matches and doing the promoting, and giving everything a name very much fits in with Dario's character.

And yes: there are technically supposed to be differences between a "Hardcore Match" and a "Street Fight." Hardcore Matches are falls count anywhere, just like the title was, while Street Fights must end in the ring. An "Extreme Rules Match" just means that the match is being contested under the rule-set used by ECW. It made sense with the ECW brand, and should have died off when that brand did, but WWE's market research showed that fans love ECW, but typical WWE stupidity is to just assume that that means that they like weapons matches and hearing the word "extreme" over and over again, so that's what it has become.

Other terms, like a match that is "No Holds Barred" should also have different rule-sets, and I really like the way they've worked them in EVOLVE where they have made the matches feel like they're about illegal holds, not just another name for a match with no DQs.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation