The WWE Network Clears Two Big Markets

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

The WWE Network Clears Two Big Markets

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 5th, '16, 17:59

Source: PWInsider

By Dave Scherer on 2016-01-05 12:25:02

The WWE Network is now officially available in Germany and Japan.

Those are two huge markets for the company and should add nicely to the Subscriber count when the First Quarter numbers are released later this year.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: The WWE Network Clears Two Big Markets

Post by cero2k » Jan 5th, '16, 18:09

Opening in Japan just feels like insult to injury, i know it had been planned for a while, but timing just hurts

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 5th, '16, 18:19

Japan & Germany should have been two of the first countries they targeted outside of the US, Mexico & UK markets, wrestling is just MASSIVE in these countries and always has been.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 5th, '16, 18:29

XIV wrote:Japan & Germany should have been two of the first countries they targeted outside of the US, Mexico & UK markets, wrestling is just MASSIVE in these countries and always has been.
Yeah. If I had to guess, it might have something to do with their TV deals in those countries. I seem to recall there being some issue when they first cleared in the UK about what could and couldn't air on the Network.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 7th, '16, 17:28

Big Red Machine wrote:
XIV wrote:Japan & Germany should have been two of the first countries they targeted outside of the US, Mexico & UK markets, wrestling is just MASSIVE in these countries and always has been.
Yeah. If I had to guess, it might have something to do with their TV deals in those countries. I seem to recall there being some issue when they first cleared in the UK about what could and couldn't air on the Network.
In the UK WWE have a long time deal with SKY Sports (RAW & Smackdown have been on SKY Sports consistently since at least 1998, but probably longer) Channel 4 until the mid 2000's had the PPV's FREE (I miss those days) & Shotgun & Heat etc.

However, since the mid 2000's, WWE has been exclusive with SKY. RAW, Smackdown, Main Event, Superstars and thier PPV's are through SKY Sports (And SKY Sports Box Office).

That would have been the only hurdle to cross because of all that exclusivity through one provider, but the kicker is this. At this time, the WWE Network can't be received on any TV's in the UK, it's only available through the internet (which of course some TV's now have). But their were early restrictions which have been lifted I believe because now it's the WWE distributing their own product, and ultimately it won't hurt SKY or have taken much money out of their pocket at all because SKY's sports package is mainly based hugely around Football (Soccer) and then has the kickers of Rugby, Formula 1 Racing, NFL (which is slowly becoming massive over here, go Dolphins) & British sports like Darts & Cricket.

However, with Germany & Japan being larger countries, there is still alot more hurdles to go through because of different regions having different channels and networks and deals and not being under one umbrella like the UK, you're right, it would probably have been alot harder to negiotiate deals with however many network providers.
Have A Nice Day!