NJPW announces first round matches for Super J-Cup

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Post Reply
User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18383
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

NJPW announces first round matches for Super J-Cup

Post by cero2k » Aug 13th, '19, 08:43

Source: f4wonline.com

Image

The opening round matches of the 2019 Super J-Cup have been set.

NJPW has rounded out the list of participants for the tournament, with Will Ospreay, Robbie Eagles, and El Phantasmo officially set to take part.

The main event of the first round will pit Ospreay against Amazing Red. Another interesting matchup has Eagles, who left Bullet Club for CHAOS, taking on Phantasmo, one of the newest members of the Bullet Club.

Here's the full list of tournament matches for the opening round, which takes place on August 22 in Tacoma, Washington:

Left side of the bracket --

Will Ospreay vs. Amazing Red
SHO vs. Taiji Ishimori
Clark Connors vs. TJP
Robbie Eagles vs. El Phantasmo
Right side of the bracket --

Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Jonathan Gresham
YOH vs. Dragon Lee
Caristico vs. BUSHI
Rocky Romero vs. Soberano Jr.
Jushin Thunder Liger will also team with Karl Fredericks against Shota Umino & Ren Narita in non-tournament action on night one. Liger will be wrestling at all three Super J-Cup shows.

The second round will take place on August 24 in San Francisco, California. The semifinals and the finals will then be held on August 25 at Walter Pyramid in Long Beach. The three events will be made available on New Japan World via VOD.



User avatar
NWK2000
Posts: 984
Joined: Feb 26th, '14, 00:52
Favorite Wrestler: Great Sasuke

Re: NJPW announces first round matches for Super J-Cup

Post by NWK2000 » Aug 13th, '19, 10:41

UNNNNNNF
I am so ready for this tournament. Ospreay vs Red will rule, but I'm sure everything else will be above average at worst.
Up next on NWK Reviews
Jushin Liger TV Special
PROGRESS SSS16 2015
ECW NWA World Title Tournament 1994 (essay)
AJW Big Egg Wrestling Universe

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18383
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: NJPW announces first round matches for Super J-Cup

Post by cero2k » Aug 13th, '19, 10:53

there's some really great matches that could happen, but they may not get to them. Ospreay vs TJP, Dragon Lee vs Caristico, Ospreay vs Caristico

User avatar
NWK2000
Posts: 984
Joined: Feb 26th, '14, 00:52
Favorite Wrestler: Great Sasuke

Re: NJPW announces first round matches for Super J-Cup

Post by NWK2000 » Aug 13th, '19, 21:02

cero2k wrote:
Aug 13th, '19, 10:53
there's some really great matches that could happen, but they may not get to them. Ospreay vs TJP, Dragon Lee vs Caristico, Ospreay vs Caristico
If Super J history is anything to go by, the random indy players won't make it, because NJPW's responsibility is to promote NJPW's guys. However of the random outliers I could say TJP winning it, or at least being in the finals, as he did win the only equivalent tournament in recent memory , The Crusierweight Classic

.
Up next on NWK Reviews
Jushin Liger TV Special
PROGRESS SSS16 2015
ECW NWA World Title Tournament 1994 (essay)
AJW Big Egg Wrestling Universe

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23398
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: NJPW announces first round matches for Super J-Cup

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 13th, '19, 21:21

NWK2000 wrote:
Aug 13th, '19, 21:02
s I could say TJP winning it, or at least being in the finals, as he did win the only equivalent tournament in recent memory , The Crusierweight Classic
Umm... the British J-Cup the past two years that NJPW has sanctioned? Or the Super J-Cup from 2016?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
NWK2000
Posts: 984
Joined: Feb 26th, '14, 00:52
Favorite Wrestler: Great Sasuke

Re: NJPW announces first round matches for Super J-Cup

Post by NWK2000 » Aug 13th, '19, 23:35

Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 13th, '19, 21:21
NWK2000 wrote:
Aug 13th, '19, 21:02
s I could say TJP winning it, or at least being in the finals, as he did win the only equivalent tournament in recent memory , The Crusierweight Classic
Umm... the British J-Cup the past two years that NJPW has sanctioned? Or the Super J-Cup from 2016?
Was there a J-Cup in 2018? Assuming you typoed and meant '2016', I wouldn't consider that equivalent to the CWC. I would consider it far, far worse. And the British J-Cup goes on my list...
Up next on NWK Reviews
Jushin Liger TV Special
PROGRESS SSS16 2015
ECW NWA World Title Tournament 1994 (essay)
AJW Big Egg Wrestling Universe

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23398
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: NJPW announces first round matches for Super J-Cup

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 14th, '19, 07:07

NWK2000 wrote:
Aug 13th, '19, 23:35
Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 13th, '19, 21:21
NWK2000 wrote:
Aug 13th, '19, 21:02
s I could say TJP winning it, or at least being in the finals, as he did win the only equivalent tournament in recent memory , The Crusierweight Classic
Umm... the British J-Cup the past two years that NJPW has sanctioned? Or the Super J-Cup from 2016?
Was there a J-Cup in 2018? Assuming you typoed and meant '2016', I wouldn't consider that equivalent to the CWC. I would consider it far, far worse. And the British J-Cup goes on my list...
There has been a British J Cup the past two years. While the 2016 J Crown wasn't as great as the CEC, it was still pretty good. My point is that you calling the CWC the only comparable recent tournament is a very flawed statement.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
NWK2000
Posts: 984
Joined: Feb 26th, '14, 00:52
Favorite Wrestler: Great Sasuke

Re: NJPW announces first round matches for Super J-Cup

Post by NWK2000 » Aug 14th, '19, 08:39

Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 14th, '19, 07:07

There has been a British J Cup the past two years. While the 2016 J Crown wasn't as great as the CEC, it was still pretty good. My point is that you calling the CWC the only comparable recent tournament is a very flawed statement.
I guess I should mention it because I didn't really talk about it at the time, but the CWC, for me, is one of those events in wrestling that I'll go blue in the face defending as one of the greatest collection of shows of all time, so I do admit I have a severe bias towards it. I plan to do a re-watch at some point and do "where are they now" and use it to see how much the event effected the WWE landscape as a whole. Also planning to do reviews of the British J Cup because I'm game for any show with KUSHIDA on it.
Up next on NWK Reviews
Jushin Liger TV Special
PROGRESS SSS16 2015
ECW NWA World Title Tournament 1994 (essay)
AJW Big Egg Wrestling Universe

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18383
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: NJPW announces first round matches for Super J-Cup

Post by cero2k » Aug 14th, '19, 08:40

NWK2000 wrote:
Aug 13th, '19, 21:02

If Super J history is anything to go by, the random indy players won't make it, because NJPW's responsibility is to promote NJPW's guys. However of the random outliers I could say TJP winning it, or at least being in the finals, as he did win the only equivalent tournament in recent memory , The Crusierweight Classic

.
I think TJP will do good because I think New Japan will want to bring him in since they're losing Ospreay and Shingo to the heavyweight division soon, but he'll do good because he's good, nothing to do with the CWC

User avatar
NWK2000
Posts: 984
Joined: Feb 26th, '14, 00:52
Favorite Wrestler: Great Sasuke

Re: NJPW announces first round matches for Super J-Cup

Post by NWK2000 » Aug 14th, '19, 09:11

cero2k wrote:
Aug 14th, '19, 08:40
NWK2000 wrote:
Aug 13th, '19, 21:02

If Super J history is anything to go by, the random indy players won't make it, because NJPW's responsibility is to promote NJPW's guys. However of the random outliers I could say TJP winning it, or at least being in the finals, as he did win the only equivalent tournament in recent memory , The Crusierweight Classic

.
I think TJP will do good because I think New Japan will want to bring him in since they're losing Ospreay and Shingo to the heavyweight division soon, but he'll do good because he's good, nothing to do with the CWC
I mean...he wouldn't have won the CWC if he wasn't good either, so that sort of goes without saying...
Up next on NWK Reviews
Jushin Liger TV Special
PROGRESS SSS16 2015
ECW NWA World Title Tournament 1994 (essay)
AJW Big Egg Wrestling Universe

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests