BRM Reviews 3PW Year End Mayham

WCW, ECW, UPW, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews 3PW Year End Mayham

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 25th, '12, 16:55

3PW Year End Mayhem (12/28/2002)- Philadelphia, PA

OPENING VIDEO PACKAGE- this was just a standard video package with random highlights from matches set to music. I was hoping for a “year in review” type of thing or maybe something to get you caught up on the angles you may have missed (oh, who am I kidding, there are only two angles in this damn company right now and none of them are being handled well).

JOEY MATTHEWS PROMO- Joey brings out Matt Striker and Rob Eckos and puts them over on the mic, which instantly makes them heels… which Striker, of course, doesn’t realize. Matt Striker is just awesome at comedy.

JOSH DANIELS vs. MATT STRIKER (w/Joey Matthews & Rob Eckos)- 4/10
Putting Striker with Matthews shouldn’t last long. His gimmick is just too much fun for people to boo the way that they want Matthews booed.

THE BLUE MEANIE (w/Mini Meanie) vs. JASON KNIGHT (w/Jasmin St. Claire)- DUD!
Damn it, Meanie! It’s a grudge match! You are seeking bloody revenge! Stop playing to the crowd and being so happy! And how long did this grudge match last? Three minutes!

DAMIAN ADAMS vs. ROB ECKOS (w/Matt Striker & Joey Matthews)- 4.25/10
After the match, the heels beat Adams down until Tod Gordon and Annihilation come out and Annihilation gives three more of his signature sh*tty chokeslams. In an entire promotion that has done tons of crappy things that have made no sense at all and has just been full of crap, Annihilation’s chokeslams might well be the most crappy thing that goes on at any given 3PW show.

SYXX PAC vs. KID KASH- 5.75/10
Pac gave a goodbye speech before the match, as opposed to after it, which was weird. He also shot on XPW a bit.

ROADKILL vs. THE ROCKIN’ REBEL- DUD!
For some reason, only Roadkill is allowed to use weapons. Once the Rebel tries to use a trashcan lid, the ref grabs it from him, leading to one of those spots where the ref fights back against a wrestler. This spot served no purpose in any match or storyline aside from making the Rebel look like a chump for getting bested by a referee. They actually did a cool spot where Rebel went for a fireball but Roadkill blocked it with the trashcan lid… or at least it would have been cool if the fireball hadn’t failed to light the first time. But it did, so Roadkill just held the trashcan lid up in front of his face until the Rebel managed to get the fireball to work and threw it directly into the trashcan lid.

JOEY MATTHEWS vs. NOSAWA- 5.75/10

BAM BAM BIGELOW vs. ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER- DUD!
The standard poorly worked match with ECW guys/old guys stabbing each other for no reason that appears on all 3PW shows. One of Bam Bam’s shoulders was IN THE AIR when Abby pinned him with THE WEAKEST LOOKING PIN EVER.

3PW HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Sabu(c) (w/Tod Gordon & Annihilation) vs. “Pitbull” Gary Wolfe- 6.75/10
Not good enough for a main event, but I did pop for Pitbull winning the title back. Almost as loudly as I popped when he avoided an Annihilation Chokeslam by hitting Annihilation with a low blow (although there I wasn’t popping as much for the spot itself as I was popping for the fact that I wouldn’t have to see another sh*tty Annihilation chokelsam). The spot with Pitbull bodyslamming Annihilation was great, though.

Overall, yet another very bad show from 3PW, but the main event was definitely enjoyable and worth watching.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3