Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews 3PW A Night For The Flyboy

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 18th, '12, 20:49

3PW A Night For The Flyboy (10/19/2002)- Philadelphia, PA

TED PETTY TRIBUTE- touching.

JOEY MATTHEWS vs. JOSH DANIELS- 5/10
Okay opener

WHITE LOTUS vs. ROB ECKOS- 4/10
WOW! You’ve got to hand it to Rob Eckos. This guy is dedicated. His pants get yanked down so that his completely nude butt is showing, and rather than stop and pull them up… he just keeps going and charges at Lotus for a clothesline.
Anyway, this was very good for a four minute match, although the explanation for the ref not seeing the illegal leverage on the finish is gross incompetence.

DEL TSUNAMI vs. JASON- 2/10
Not bad, but extremely short.

CHRSTIAN YORK vs. ROADKILL- 6.75/10
Great match. I got super-ultra pissed when Matthews came out and started interfering. This is the only feud in 3PW right now that I even come close to giving a damn about.

SYXX-PAC vs. RON “THE TRUTH” KILLINGS- 5/10
Disappointingly short.

JASMINE ST. CLAIRE & THE BLUE MEANIE vs. MISSY HYATT & THE ROCKIN’ REBEL- DUD!
At the beginning of the match, one of the announcers says “the thought of somebody like the Rockin’ Rebel putting their hands on Jasmine St. Claire just sickens me.”
I know it is mean and spiteful but whenever I hear this, I really can’t help thinking “you do know that she had three hundred different dicks in her in one day, right? I’m sure much skuzzier people than the Rockin’ Rebel have touched Jasmine in much nastier ways.”
Anyway, Rebel gets pinned with his feet clearly on the ropes (seriously, there is no way the ref couldn’t have realized he was on the ropes because the ring positioning just made it common sense), and despite not being the legal man… and that isn’t a nit-pick. The fact that he and Meanie tagged their respective women in was an important spot in the match! Then Rebel throws Meanie out of the ring and rips Jasmine’s top off. He starts to rip her pants off, but, for some reason, Tod Gordon and Annihilation come out to make the save, which consists of another sh*tty chokeslam from Annihilation. Then Annihilation chokeslams the Blue Meanie, and Tod Gordon gets on the mic and says that if the people want to see Jasmine’s body, she has to show it to them... SO WHY THE HELL DID TOD SEND ANNIHILATION OUT TO STOP THE REBEL FROM STRIPPING JASMINE IN THE FIRST PLACE?! Then Jasmine willingly and happily strips, and cuts a promo turning heel on Meanie.

“MR. PERFECT” CURT HENNIG vs. JERRY “THE KING” LAWLER-5.75/10
They wrestle for a bit until Hennig wins using the ropes for extra leverage. Lawler tells the ref that Hennig cheated, but Hennig claims that he didn’t. The fans also say that Hennig cheated so, despite not seeing it for himself, the ref restarts the match. This is the sort of thing that irks me. Why will the ref restart the match when the fans say that someone cheated NOW, but other times he won’t?

3PW HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: “The Pitbull” Gary Wolfe(c) vs. Sabu (w/Tod Gordon & Annihilation)- 7.25/10
Gordon jumps the Pitbull from behind and the big tough 3PW Heavyweight Champion actually starts selling for puny little Tod Gordon. Aside from that, this match was very good. Pitbull hit an absolutely awesome powerbomb from the apron through a table. The only other thing I didn’t like was that after taking a big finisher with a weapon through a table, the loser got back up less than a minute later to hug it out with the winner. Whatever happened to selling?

Overall, not a good show from 3PW, but better than most of their shows have been so far.

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. I’m not sure which one as I can’t tell them apart, but one of the announcers referred to Sabu and the Pitbull as “3PW current alumni.” I facepalmed. Being a bad announcer is one thing, but being an idiot is another.

2. “Sabu doesn’t need these cheapshots by Tod Gordon and Annihilation. Sabu just needs to get that pin.”
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3