BRM Reviews ECW Double Tables

WCW, ECW, UPW, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews ECW Double Tables

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 29th, '12, 19:04

ECW Double Tables (2/4/1995)- Philadelphia, PA

HACK MYERS & THE YOUNG DRAGONS vs. THE PIT BULLS & JASON THE TERRIBLE (w/Jason Knight)- no rating, good segment
Hack looked tough and the heels got heat.

JASON (KNIGHT) PROMO- good

TOMMY DREAMER vs. STEVIE RICHARDS (w/Raven)- 5.75/10

MIKEY WHIPWRECK vs. PAUL LAURIA (w/Jason)- 6/10
Great wrestling, and Jason is just plain infuriating.

IAN ROTTEN vs. AXL ROTTEN- 6.5/10
VIOLENT! After watching this match, I don’t think Paul E. had any doubt at all that breaking up Bad Breed was the right thing to do.

CHRIS BENOIT vs. AL SNOW- 7/10
Great wrestling, especially if you like suplexes.

ECW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Shane Douglas(c) vs. Tully Blanchard- 5.75/10
Tully looked pretty good, but the match was too short for a World Heavyweight Title match between names of this caliber.

TEXAS DEATHMATCH: Cactus Jack vs. The Sandman (w/Woman)- 7.75/10
Great storytelling

DOUBLE TABLES MATCH FOR THE ECW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLES: The Public Enemy(c) vs. The Tazmaniac & Sabu (w/Paul E. Dangerously)- 7/10
I’m confused. Did Sabu putting Rocco through a table in the corner the first time not count or something? Anyway, this was good, but not good enough for a main event. Also, the babyfaces should not have won by cheating.
Anyway, this was a heck of a brawl, although not one that ages well particularly well, either through 2012 eyes when I first watched it or through 2021 eyes when I am rewatching it after having heard about all the hype it got when it happened (as opposed to, say, Mikey Whipwreck & Public Enemy vs. Sandman, 2 Cold Scorpio, & New Jack from Gangsta’s Paradise later in the year).

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- INSANE!
Johnny Grunge and Taz brawled away from the ring. 911 helped Sabu set Rocco Rock up on a table, and Sabu laid another table flat across the corner to create a little platform for himself. Sabu climbed up there and grabbed a chair, but attacked by Chris Benoit, who then powerbombed Sabu off the table-platform onto Rocco, through the other table. This looked absolutely nuts, and became quite the legendary moment on the early message boards. This was done to set up what was supposed to be the big main event at what was going to be the biggest show in company history, Three-Way Dance, with Public Enemy vs. Taz & Sabu vs. Benoit & Malenko for the tag titles, but then Sabu no-showed to take more money from New Japan after accidentally double-booking himself, which led to the famous “F*CK SABU!” speech, and would wind up setting the seeds for the Sabu vs. Taz feud that would culminate in a match finally taking pace at the next “biggest show in company history,” which was Barely Legal.
The only flaw in the whole situation was 911 just kind of standing there and not doing anything instead of going after Benoit.

CHRIS BENOIT PROMO- pretty good, although the video effect they used for this was quite weird.

Overall, a very good show from ECW. Despite the main event not living up to the hype, there were consistently good matches the whole way up and down the card. This show has the reputation of being the best show in company history up until this point, and based on what I’ve seen (which I think is actually most of it) that seems true.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews ECW Double Tables

Post by cero2k » Jul 29th, '12, 19:51

Big Red Machine wrote: DOUBLE TABLES MATCH FOR THE ECW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLES: The Public Enemy(c) vs. The Tazmaniac & Sabu (w/Paul E. Dangerously)- 6/10
I’m confused. Did Sabu putting Rocco through a table in the corner the first time not count or something? Anyway, this was good, but not good enough for a main event. Also, the babyfaces should not have won by cheating
this may just be me, but i've always considered tables matches in ECW pretty stupid, breaking tables was part of the everyday show, why would a tables match be any interesting. Flaming Tables Match i understand, Stacked tables Match i understand, but a plain tables match is really meh.