My thoughts on WCW

WCW, ECW, UPW, etc
VadeKruger

My thoughts on WCW

Post by VadeKruger » Dec 28th, '10, 12:17

Hey, it pleases me to be the first to post a new topic in here!! So Im gonna share a few thoughts of mine about WCW, well mainly the world title and misuse of talent.

I feel that Bret Hart was grossly under used, and that WCW 'cheapened' their World title with many quickfire changes, like Nash, Savage, DDP, Sting and even Benoit even though he left the company like the next day after winning it I think.

I think Goldberg should have had much more time as World Champ, he was such a huge draw.

Eddie Guererro was also very badly used, however i did enjoy the LWO storyline and having Rey Mysterio a part of the group.

Sid Vicious for me should have also had more time as World Champ, I love that guy lol

One of the biggest things was Scott Hall not being given a run as World Champion. His charisma and mic work alone, without including his exceptional ringwork was by far more than enough to get him over as the top guy.

Buff Bagwell, very entertaining although there were many reports of him being a jackass, he always got a huge pop when he appeared, I felt he should have been given at least a solid main event run, eve if he didnt win the title.

Warrior, they should have pulled out all the stops to keep this guy. The crowd reaction to him was awesome, I was in total awe when he first appeared, another guy who could have carried the entire company on his shoulders, he is his own worst enemy though.

Thanks for reading guys, wish I could have gone on longer but so much stuff to do!!

I await your feedback..............
Factions are overrated.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: My thoughts on WCW

Post by cero2k » Dec 28th, '10, 12:35

I agree that WCW misused a lot of talent they had, but to some point, the same thing can be said about any major promotion at some point.

my main problem with WCW was always that once their NWO idea was a hit, everything exploded. NWO this NWO that, everyone at some point was related to NWO one way or the other, otherwise, chances were you weren't getting a lot of TV time, and thus we saw guys like Benoit, Eddie, Jericho, Chavo, Rey rey and some others pass without the recognition they should have received.

VadeKruger

Post by VadeKruger » Dec 28th, '10, 12:56

Totally man, what do you think about Goldberg getting more time as world champion?
Factions are overrated.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 28th, '10, 16:43

VadeKruger wrote:Totally man, what do you think about Goldberg getting more time as world champion?
I was ok with the amount of title time he had with the world title, I didn't mind him loosing the title, but not the way it happened. That's my only problem with his title reign, it should have ended in a better way, to a better challenger...

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Dec 28th, '10, 17:53

VadeKruger wrote:One of the biggest things was Scott Hall not being given a run as World Champion. His charisma and mic work alone, without including his exceptional ringwork was by far more than enough to get him over as the top guy.
Spot on! I've always thought that Scott Hall was never given the opportunity to live up to his full potential as a performer. Sadly, we'll never know what could have been.
VadeKruger wrote:WCW 'cheapened' their World title with many quickfire changes, like Nash, Savage, DDP, Sting and even Benoit even though he left the company like the next day after winning it I think.
A "Fun Fact" to back this up:
In 1999 WCW had 11 former World Champions on it's active roster, not including The Warrior who never won the WCW strap . That's 12 freakin' guys that WCW was pushing as "Main Event Talent". 12 big egos preventing guys like Jericho from getting the push they deserve. It was frustrating to watch...

VadeKruger

Post by VadeKruger » Dec 29th, '10, 00:09

I never even thought of that one Bob-O, when you look back at stuff like that its so easy to see TNA going the same way
Factions are overrated.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 29th, '10, 01:01

I don't understand why people loved WCW so much after 1994. The company had THREE good angles (the nWo, Sting-nWo-WCW, and Goldberg's monster babyface push), and with one of those, they had no idea when to stop, and as a result, it brought down the company.
ALL of the things that people complain about in WWE nowadays (whether they are true or not) started in WCW:
Pushing guys because of their look, rather than training people to wrestle
Women as eye-candy instead of wrestlers
Celebrities in the ring after the 80's
Hotshotting Titles
Titles that didn't mean anything
Toeing the corporate line and letting non-wrestling interests control wrestling

ALL of these things have their roots in WCW.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

womenwrestlerfan
Future Endeavored

Post by womenwrestlerfan » Dec 29th, '10, 01:16

Well I liked WCW and I'm still a fan of WCW

I like it better than the WWE

But also, I do agree w/you about women being used as Eye Candy instead of wrestlers

But personally, I LOVE the Nitro Girls as well as valets like Miss Elizabeth, Torrie Wilson and Kimberly Page

But WCW Monday NITRO DID kick RAW's Backside for 84 consecutive weeks and I tuned in to NITRO Every Week and NOT RAW, even when it was going down, I still watched it

But I do agree about certain things that Vade_Kruger was talking about

But all in all, WCW had their ups and downs, but I like anything better than the WWE except for when RAW was on The NEW TNN

WCW WORLD WAR 3 was my FAVORITE WCW PPV

WWE has also mocked WCW w/certain things like Extreme Expose a Rip-off version of The Nitro Girls

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Dec 29th, '10, 02:07

I feel exactly the same way about Bagwell.

Personally, IMO, WCW should have made DDP the top guy long before they did. I think he should have beat Goldberg at Starrcade instead of Nash

womenwrestlerfan
Future Endeavored

Post by womenwrestlerfan » Dec 29th, '10, 02:13

Well WCW started off bad in 1988 when Ted Turner bought Jim Crockett Promotions from The Crocketts and he put too many people that didn't know about Pro Wrestling in charge and that's when it got off to a bad start

I mean, they hired a guy named Jim Herd, a man who didn't know anything about wrestling and then, his ideas got worst and guys like The Legion of Doom and Jim Cornette started leaving for the WWE

and also, Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard left for the WWE b/c they were upderpaid

Not to mention, Ric Flair and Jim Herd didn't get along and so, Flair left for the WWE and took the NWA World Heavyweight Title w/him

The Big Gold Belt, not the traditional belt

But when they finally got rid of Jim Herd, that's when they hired Cowboy Bill Watts in to be in charge of WCW
Last edited by womenwrestlerfan on Jan 11th, '11, 22:02, edited 3 times in total.

VadeKruger

Post by VadeKruger » Dec 29th, '10, 10:42

Arn Anderson!!! How could I forget?? Underused or what? Yeah sure WCW made a few mistakes but it is still my favourite promotion of all time
Factions are overrated.

womenwrestlerfan
Future Endeavored

Post by womenwrestlerfan » Dec 29th, '10, 12:14

VadeKruger wrote:Arn Anderson!!! How could I forget?? Underused or what? Yeah sure WCW made a few mistakes but it is still my favourite promotion of all time
Mine, too

That's why I LOVE NWA, WCW and TNA

and also, Arn Anderson deserved to be in the World Title Picture or @ least had 1 more run of the U.S. Heavyweight Title

VadeKruger

Post by VadeKruger » Dec 30th, '10, 13:26

Yeah...............ahhh those were the days
Factions are overrated.

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Jan 7th, '11, 20:21

I still think it is sad to put AA over BOTH Hogan & Flair in their primes & yet never even get a shot at the World title much less get a couple caretaker reigns with the strap... I bet most everyone on here can tell me where they were when they watched AA's retirement speech & offer not just a spot, but HIS spot in the Four Horsemen to Curt Hennig...

womenwrestlerfan
Future Endeavored

Post by womenwrestlerfan » Jan 8th, '11, 00:08

Well Arn Anderson did get a World Heavyweight Title shot

The last time he got a shot @ the World Title was against The Giant Paul Wight and that was on the last WCW Monday NITRO on TNT before they expanded the show to 2 hours and that was before the whole nWo was born

But I agree, he should've got a decent World Title Run being the NWA or WCW, but as for the WWE, I don't think so

But he also should've got a decent run @ the U.S. Heavyweight Championship

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Jan 11th, '11, 09:25

womenwrestlerfan wrote:Well Arn Anderson did get a World Heavyweight Title shot

The last time he got a shot @ the World Title was against The Giant Paul Wight and that was on the last WCW Monday NITRO on TNT before they expanded the show to 2 hours and that was before the whole nWo was born

But I agree, he should've got a decent World Title Run being the NWA or WCW, but as for the WWE, I don't think so

But he also should've got a decent run @ the U.S. Heavyweight Championship
i mean an actual PPV match...not a Nitro title shot when all the midcarders were being fed to the Giant...

Big Bad Booty Daddy

Post by Big Bad Booty Daddy » Mar 29th, '11, 13:12

Great read bro.

Completely agree. I would have like Bagwell to be used more then what he was. He was great and one of my favourites towards the end of WCW.

Goldberg was awesome, great champ but like Badnewz (i think) said i would have preffered DDP to beat Goldberg rather then Nash!!

As for the NWO i again agree with BRM (I think). Everything was NWO this and NWO that and i felt that from what went to a pretty strong stable to a stable packed full of anybody. I felt it became to big!!! It was WCW vs NWO and that was it!! 1 stable was dictating the whole company and yes it was good but then people were leaving and joining and i felt it became boring!!

Now take DX for instance (apparently Vince came up with the idea to act as an alternative to the NWO). They were feuding with The Hart Foundation who were led by two of the biggest stars in WWE. Add to this The Nation and even tho i prefered WCW i found myself watching more WWE.

I think this was down to that at the time WCW was all about NWO and thats it whereas you had DX/The Harts feduing with each other aswell as Taker, Austin ect! I found it more intresting anyway!!

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Mar 29th, '11, 18:18

Big Red Machine wrote:ALL of the things that people complain about in WWE nowadays (whether they are true or not) started in WCW:
No, everyone had been doing this for as long as wrestling started pretty much. Maybe not so much in the south, but Vince always did this. Hulk Hogan is a prime example.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 29th, '11, 20:22

yourcrapsweak wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:ALL of the things that people complain about in WWE nowadays (whether they are true or not) started in WCW:
No, everyone had been doing this for as long as wrestling started pretty much. Maybe not so much in the south, but Vince always did this. Hulk Hogan is a prime example.
Hogan could go. Watch some of his Japan stuff. He wasn't great, but he was competent. He had a lot more than the 8 moves that people credit him with.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Mar 29th, '11, 21:15

Big Red Machine wrote:Hogan could go. Watch some of his Japan stuff. He wasn't great, but he was competent. He had a lot more than the 8 moves that people credit him with.
I've seen his matches with Inoki. They were alright. But he didn't bring it in WWF at all when it came to wrestling ability, it was all about his presence. That's why Vince pushed him, which was my point.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen