BRM Reviews the 12/4/1995 Nitro

WCW, ECW, UPW, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 12/4/1995 Nitro

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 2nd, '14, 19:31

We open the show with Eric Bischoff announcing that, with no real build, Savage will defend the WCW World Heavyweight Title against Lex Luger tonight. Also with no real build behind it, there will be a three way #1 contendership match at Starrcade pitting Luger against Sting against Flair.
The announcers also told us that as of less than an a hour ago, Hulk Hogan, the Giant, and Ric Flair have all been put "on probation" by the WCW executive committee. Ho explanation of what they did to deserve this was ever given.

WCW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Harlem Heat(c) (w/Sister Sherri) vs. The American Males- 4/10
If you have been reading along with my reviews, then you might currently be finding yourself confused because the last time we had the tag team titles mentioned, the American Males were the champions. Apparently the titles changed hands OVER A MONTH AGO on an episode of WCW Saturday Night, and no mention of it has been made either on Nitro or the World War 3 PPV, despite the fact that all four guys were in the big battle royale main event.

Colonel Parker came out with a gift for Sherri. This angle has been going on for OVER THREE MONTHS and HAS NOT ADVANCED ONE INCH! But it is still apparently a lot more important than the tag team titles, because the camera stayed focused on Parker and Sherri instead of the tag team title match going on in the ring... which is doubly a shame because the part of it we saw seemed very exciting.

For the second time in three weeks, Mongo, who had only been in the business for three months at this point,questioned the wisdom of giving away big matches like this main event world title match on free TV instead of putting them on PPV. I never thought I'd say this, but here goes: DAMMIT! If only they had listened to Mongo, WCW might still be alive today!

GENE OKERLUND INTERVIEWS LEX LUGER & STING- they both but promos building up tonight's main event and the triangle match at Starrcade. Sting in particular was very good.

KURASAWA vs. STING- DUD!
The announcers told us that Col. Parker should be out here with Kurasawa, but he is neglecting his duties in order to hang out with Sherri. So again... this angle has gone nowhere.
Anyway, Kurasawa worked over Sting's arm for a minute or two, then Sting made a comeback with a few shots to the head, then won with the Scorpion Deathlock, which targets the back and legs. This made Kurasawa look like a chump.

SCOTT NORTON vs. GIANT (w/Jimmy Hart & the Taskmaster)- 3/10
Short but not bad. Norton picking the Giant up got a huge pop.

During this match, Bischoff announced that next week's show would feature Hogan & Sting vs. Flair & Arn. Yes. For free. With almost no build at all.

RIC FLAIR & CHARLES BARKLEY HANG OUT IN THE RING- okay... why should anyone care?

WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: ""Macho Man" Randy Savage(c) vs. Lex Luger (w/Jimmy Hart)- 4.25/10
Luger's arm is still taped up from the injury a few weeks ago, but his back, which the announcers have been talking about all night, seems to be in no way affected by the CHOKESLAM ONTO CONCRETE he took last week. They worked each other's arms over, but it was really boring. We got a ref bump, and for some incomprehensible reason, Ric Flair showed up and hit Savage with brass knuckles to try to help Luger win. Hogan came out to confront Flair and was about to beat him up when he realized the referee was coming to and so he let Flair escape so that he could shove the referee, causing Luger to win by DQ rather than allowing Savage to get pinned and lose the title.
Hogan then went to hit Luger, but Sting ran out to stop him. Sting managed to pull Luger out of the way, but wound up eating Hulk's knuckle sandwich himself. The execution of this spot was fantastic, but than this spot and Flair's antics on his way up the ramp, this whole thing came off to me as very stupid.
Hogan tried to apologize but Sting shoved him. Hogan got pissed and ripped his shirt off and they got nose-to-nose, but Randy Savage, the man whose gimmick seems to be that he is a delusional paranoid, got between them to keep the peace.

SHOW-CLOSING SEGMENT- very good.
Hogan and Savage want to know why Sting is still pals with Luger. Hogan points out that Savage's paranoid delusions turned out to be right (although the way it came off on TV was not that Savage saw through their deception so much as it was a case of a blind squirrel finally finding a nut or two). Sting says that Luger is his friend and he is trying to convince Luger not to hang out with Jimmy Hart. Hogan says okay and asks Sting to keep Luger away from their match next week and Sting promises to do so.

This was a bad episode of Nitro, but I do have to hand it to them that they definitely managed to make me want to see next week's main event.

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES":
1. Mongo says that he has his little guardian angel on his shoulder (his dog, whom he has stripped of all dignity by dressing up with angel wins and a halo) to look out for him "just like Hulk Hogan and his gang are gonna be looking out for the Dungeon of Doom."
I guess Mongo doesn't realize that I guardian angel looks out for you by PROTECTING you (hence a guardian angel), where as Hogan and his crew will be doing the exact opposite of that to the Dungeon of Doom.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews the 12/4/1995 Nitro

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 3rd, '14, 01:19

On a historical note, this was apparently the very first show to have an overrun.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3