BRM Reviews 3PW Got Head?

WCW, ECW, UPW, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews 3PW Got Head?

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 29th, '13, 23:26

3PW Got Head? (1/24/2004)- Philadelphia, PA

CJ O'DOYLE vs. DEREK WYLDE- 6.25/10
Wylde shows why he was one of Canada's best-kept secrets of independent wrestling, and after matches like this, I'm surprised that O'Doyle never went anywhere.

RICKY VEGA vs. JACK VICTORY (w/Raven)- 1.5/10

"THE PIT BULL" GARY WOLFE vs. WIFEBEATER- 4/10

AJ STYLES vs. JOEY MATTHEWS- 7/10
This match took some time to get going... but that's fine when you have over twenty minutes. A great match, but I can't help but feel that it would have been better. I like the finish, but babyface Joey Matthews just wouldn't work. Joey Matthews in 3PW is almost like Icarus in CHIKARA. I just don't think I can possibly bring myself to root for him.

MONSTA MACK vs. ROADKILL- 6/10
Good hardcore match

DAMIAN ADAMS vs. RUCKUS- 5/10
GREAT for such a short match.

TLC MATCH FOR THE 3PW HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Raven(c) vs. Sandman- 4/10
The bit with Sandman spitting beer in Raven's face (as Commissioner Raven had declared that Sandman is no longer allowed to drink beer) was good, but everything else here was disappointing. This match felt like it was about three levels below where it needed to be. It wasn't violent enough, the pacing was too slow, it never got out of first gear, and the finish involved Sandman being pinned while leaning up on a table (his shoulder blades may or may not have been touching the table, but they definitely weren't on the mat. Yes, that's right, this had a pinfall finish. If you're going to have a pinfall finish, don't call it a TLC match!

AL SNOW vs. SABU- 7.25/10
A great match, but the beginning of the match (they did some nice mat wrestling and worked over each other's arms) felt completely disjointed from the subsequent brawling. I don't think they even went back to the arms once.

Overall, an okay show, though that is good by 3PW standards.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3