BRM reviews ROH Better Than Our Best (BUY THIS SHOW NOW!)

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM reviews ROH Better Than Our Best (BUY THIS SHOW NOW!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 18th, '11, 00:02

ROH Better Than Our Best (4/1/2006)- Chicago, IL

SIX MAN MAYHEM: Matt Sydal vs. Jack Evans vs. Jake Crist vs. Dave Crist vs. Ace Steel vs. Jimmy Jacobs (w/Lacey)- 6.25/10. Lots of fun, cool stuff.

Next we got a good segment involving Jim Cornette and Colt Cabana. Cornette agreed to give Cabana one last match against Homicide tonight.
Then Cornette called out Delirious (who is super-over at this point) and tells him that he needs to win some matches to stay in ROH. Cornette says he likes Delirious, so he will let him choose his opponent tonight. Delirious picks Ricky Reyes, who had told Delirious “YOU DON’T BELONG HERE!” the previous night. Despite this, everyone is surprised by this choice because Reyes’ Dragon Sleeper finisher had never been broken out of.

DELIRIOUS vs. RICKY REYES (w/Julius Smokes)- 5.5/10, good match, but nothing too impressive.

DRAGON KID, RYO SAITO, & GENKI HORIGUCHI vs. MASATO YOSHINO, JIMMY RAVE, & ALEX SHELLEY (w/Daizee Haze & Prince Nana)- 8/10. Lots of good action. The thing that amazed me the most is how well Yoshino fit in with the Embassy. I didn’t know he was capable of being that much of a jerk.

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL: AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Jimmy Yang vs. Christopher Daniels (w/Allison Danger)- 8.5/10

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Austin Aries & Roderick Strong(c) vs. CIMA & Naruki Doi- 8/10 Good, fast-paced action.

ROH WORLD TITLE MATCH: Bryan Danielson(c) vs. Lance Storm- 8.5/10. This match was so smooth and just technically perfect that it could only have been wrestled by… well… Lance Storm and Bryan Danielson.

CHICAGO STREET FIGHT: Colt Cabana vs. Homicide- 9/10. This match was the perfect way to end this feud. After the match, Julius Smokes & Ricky Reyes, who had interfered on behalf of Homicide, went to be Cabana down, but Cide stopped them, then shook Cabana’s hand, indicating that Colt had earned his respect.

This show is an absolute MUST-BUY for anyone who likes wrestling. This has good Tag Team Wrestling, good Hardocre Wrestling, good singles wrestling, good multi-man wrestling… everything (the women’s wrestling was on the pre-show, and thus, not on the DVD, but you can get it on the “Straight Shootin’ with the Women of Honor DVD. The match is Lacey, Rain, & Cheerleader Melissa vs. MsChif, Allison Danger, & Daizee Haze, and is the best pre-show match in ROH history). Five of the seven matches on this show are worth going out of your way to see. Overall, this show is a definite 10/10! (and it is STILL IN STOCK at www.ROHstore.com)
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

badnewzxl

Re: BRM reviews ROH Better Than Our Best (BUY THIS SHOW NOW!

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 18th, '11, 00:49

Dragon Gate Challenge, Supercard of Honor, and Better Than Our Best are three of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen, and the fact that it was done in three days only goes to show the quality of performance ROH provides. This triple shot is one of the prime reasons I consider 2006 to be the best year for ROH. Plus throw in Final Battle, Survival of the Fittest, Best in the World, Dissension, Death Before Dishonor, and Unified and I don't think there's another promotion EVER who's put on THIS many TREMENDOUS shows in just one year.

With that being said, I need to go ahead and get me a copy of Better than Our Best; I've got the other two....

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 18th, '11, 00:51

badnewzxl wrote:Dragon Gate Challenge, Supercard of Honor, and Better Than Our Best are three of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen, and the fact that it was done in three days only goes to show the quality of performance ROH provides. This triple shot is one of the prime reasons I consider 2006 to be the best year for ROH. Plus throw in Final Battle, Survival of the Fittest, Best in the World, Dissension, Death Before Dishonor, and Unified and I don't think there's another promotion EVER who's put on THIS many TREMENDOUS shows in just one year.
No love for Honor Reclaims Boston?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 18th, '11, 01:29

Big Red Machine wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:Dragon Gate Challenge, Supercard of Honor, and Better Than Our Best are three of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen, and the fact that it was done in three days only goes to show the quality of performance ROH provides. This triple shot is one of the prime reasons I consider 2006 to be the best year for ROH. Plus throw in Final Battle, Survival of the Fittest, Best in the World, Dissension, Death Before Dishonor, and Unified and I don't think there's another promotion EVER who's put on THIS many TREMENDOUS shows in just one year.
No love for Honor Reclaims Boston?
I haven't seen any of the matches from that one; though it is high on my list....