Kings of Wrestling break record

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

Kings of Wrestling break record

Post by cero2k » Jan 5th, '11, 11:51

Source: ROHWrestling.com

Yesterday, January 4, 2011, was a day that will go down in Ring of Honor history because that was the day in which Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli, collectively The Kings of Wrestling, broke a record that has stood since December 30, 2007. 1/4/11 marked the day that Hero & Claudio become the longest reigning World Tag Team Champions in ROH history.

Since “Final Battle 2007”, where Jay & Mark Briscoe lost the belts to Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black, the record for longest title reign has stood at 275 days. Lasting from March 30, 2007 until December 30, 2007, the length of the Briscoes fourth title reign stood through 7 subsequent title reigns, including two more of their own, and saw them defend the belt 18 times successfully.

Effective Tuesday night, the honor of “longest title reign” now falls on the shoulders of The KoW, and with no title defenses scheduled until the “9th Anniversary Show” on February 26th, it looks as if the 2-Time Champions will reach 329 days before someone has the opportunity to dethrone them. That night it will be Rhett Titus & Kenny King, The All Night Express, who have the shot at knocking the crowns off the Kings heads.

“It’s been a long hard reign, there is no denying that.” said Chris Hero, “We took the belts at will from The Briscoes to start this reign, and we beat them two more times. Actually make that three times, lest you forget about Ultimate Endurance and how we beat THREE other teams that night. The Machine Guns, The ANX, The Fight Club, you name it we have beaten them down. Generico and Colt, Steen and Corino, The Wolves, we have taken them all on and proved our superiority. There’s a reason why our motto is ‘Kings reign Supreme’, and I would say that myself and Claudio Castagnoli have spent the last 276 days proving it. If Ring of Honor and Jim Cornette can find us worthy competition, then please bring them on, and we will dominate them too. The Kings of Wrestling’s title reign will be spoken about with the same reverence as Samoa Joe’s by the time we are through and we will forever be the measuring stick by which tag teams are judged!”

“Generation Me, Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin, we broke them.” added Claudio, “We proved they did not even deserve a shot at the titles. No one can beat us. No one.”

With eight official title defenses under their belt, Hero & Claudio now begin their chase to shatter the 18 successful defenses record accumulated by both The Briscoes as well as Austin Aries & Roderick Strong. Should the Kings go through The All Night Express in Chicago Ridge, who will step up to stop the KoW’s pursuit of history?

TITLE HISTORY
Defeated- Jay & Mark Briscoe
Location- Charlotte, NC
Date- 4/3/10

–Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli defeated Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin by DQ after The Briscoes interfered in New York, NY on 5/8/10
–Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli defeated Jay & Mark Briscoe in a No DQ Match in Toronto, Ontario on 6/19/10
–Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli defeated Jay & Mark Briscoe in Philadelphia, PA on 8/21/10
–Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli defeated Jay & Mark Briscoe, The All Night Express, and The Dark City Fight Club in Ultimate Endurance in Charlotte, NC on 8/28/10
–Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli defeated Colt Cabana & El Generico in Plymouth, MA on 9/10/10
–Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli defeated Davey Richards & Christopher Daniels in Dayton, OH on 10/15/10
–Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli defeated Kevin Steen and Steve Corino in Mississauga, Ontario on 11/13/10
–Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli defeated The American Wolves in Plymouth, MA on 12/17/10

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Re: Kings of Wrestling break record

Post by Lynas » Jan 5th, '11, 12:09

NOW... I expect them to be dropped soon,.

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jan 5th, '11, 12:15

Lynas wrote:NOW... I expect them to be dropped soon,.
Noooooo.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 5th, '11, 12:50

I expect the opposite. ANX aren't getting them. Heel vs. Heel in their first one-on-one shot? I don't see it happening. At the earliest, they will have them until Supercard of Honor VI (assuming it is Mania weekend, like usual, instead of some random time in the Spring like it was last year). I can see WGTT beating them in LA to earn a shot, then winning the belts at SCOH (Haas & Benjamin are the perfect guys to use to attract new fans, which is what the goal of piggybacking off of Mania is).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 5th, '11, 12:59

Big Red Machine wrote:
I expect the opposite. ANX aren't getting them. Heel vs. Heel in their first one-on-one shot? I don't see it happening. At the earliest, they will have them until Supercard of Honor VI (assuming it is Mania weekend, like usual, instead of some random time in the Spring like it was last year). I can see WGTT beating them in LA to earn a shot, then winning the belts at SCOH (Haas & Benjamin are the perfect guys to use to attract new fans, which is what the goal of piggybacking off of Mania is).
this, i would love for ANX to win, but what BRM says is how things need to happen.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 5th, '11, 16:55

I'll never count the Briscoes out; it's never a bad idea to put the titles on those two. WGTT would be a great choice s well, but I think an upset win for a team like Cole & O'Reilly could really spice things up.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 5th, '11, 17:06

badnewzxl wrote:I'll never count the Briscoes out; it's never a bad idea to put the titles on those two. WGTT would be a great choice s well, but I think an upset win for a team like Cole & O'Reilly could really spice things up.
if i remember correctly, Briscoes can't challenge until KOW loose the titles, so we know there needs to be someone in between...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 5th, '11, 17:13

cero2k wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:I'll never count the Briscoes out; it's never a bad idea to put the titles on those two. WGTT would be a great choice s well, but I think an upset win for a team like Cole & O'Reilly could really spice things up.
if i remember correctly, Briscoes can't challenge until KOW loose the titles,
This is correct. They lost a Last Chance match on HDnet in mid-October (this was the match where Papa Briscoe attacked Shane Hagadorn afterwards).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 5th, '11, 17:20

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
if i remember correctly, Briscoes can't challenge until KOW loose the titles,
This is correct. They lost a Last Chance match on HDnet in mid-October (this was the match where Papa Briscoe attacked Shane Hagadorn afterwards).
then I'm hoping for Cole & O'reilly, unless Cheech & Cloudy get back in the mix....