All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

New potential ROH Logo

Post by cero2k » May 11th, '22, 09:06

Thelone

Re: New potential ROH Logo

Post by Thelone » May 11th, '22, 09:59

That's the blandest and soulless logo, so perfect for this version of "ROH". I get that a lot of companies go for a fairly minimalistic look nowadays, but it goes too far more often than not.

Kinda wondering what the new Sinclair-owned ROH logo was supposed to look like in comparison.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 11th, '22, 10:40

no cheesy 90's "Killer Instinct" spikes
no 2000's grunge weathering
no Crayola color splashes
no misused lucha masks

remove the gray box in the back and I'm all for it, though it will surely change by the time the final draft is approved

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 11th, '22, 11:14

Uch. Just go back to the classic!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 17th, '22, 14:35

XIV

Post by XIV » May 19th, '22, 02:18

What is up with these basic Microsoft Word Art logos?
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 26th, '22, 17:01

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Jun 27th, '22, 05:42

So a non-italic version of the old block logo.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 27th, '22, 09:31

Thelone wrote: Jun 27th, '22, 05:42 So a non-italic version of the old block logo.
I'll take it

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Jun 27th, '22, 12:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 27th, '22, 09:31I'll take it
It's better than that soulless monstrosity from the OP for sure, but this screams "we're desperately trying to recapture the past".

I did a quick GIS just to be sure I wasn't going crazy with my analogy, stumbled upon what was apparently a contest page to choose the Sinclair-era logo in 2011, and some of those decade old logos still look much better than the """new""" one or whatever that bland first one was.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 27th, '22, 19:21

Thelone wrote: Jun 27th, '22, 12:53
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 27th, '22, 09:31I'll take it
It's better than that soulless monstrosity from the OP for sure, but this screams "we're desperately trying to recapture the past".

In the case of ROH, "desperately trying to recapture the past" would be quite nice.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Jun 29th, '22, 05:01

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 27th, '22, 19:21In the case of ROH, "desperately trying to recapture the past" would be quite nice.
If ROH was still an independant promotion, I would agree with you and not care that much about the """new""" logo (still sends the wrong message of clinging to the past though), but this is AEW-owned "ROH" we're talking about here. No matter how many times Khan says that "both AEW and ROH will be separate entities", you know it'll end up being the Dub's dump where Tiny can throw away his old toys he doesn't want anymore, but won't release because "he's such a spineless coward good guy". Of course, gotta find a streaming/TV deal first, or just put it on Youtube for free I guess.

My point is that this version will never be put in a position to reach the highs of yesteryear, so why even tease it? Just look at WWECW : it had the old ECW logo and they tried at first to recreate some aspects of it, but it quickly turned into something that had barely anything to do with the old ECW.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 29th, '22, 06:34

Thelone wrote: Jun 29th, '22, 05:01
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 27th, '22, 19:21In the case of ROH, "desperately trying to recapture the past" would be quite nice.
If ROH was still an independant promotion, I would agree with you and not care that much about the """new""" logo (still sends the wrong message of clinging to the past though), but this is AEW-owned "ROH" we're talking about here. No matter how many times Khan says that "both AEW and ROH will be separate entities", you know it'll end up being the Dub's dump where Tiny can throw away his old toys he doesn't want anymore, but won't release because "he's such a spineless coward good guy". Of course, gotta find a streaming/TV deal first, or just put it on Youtube for free I guess.

My point is that this version will never be put in a position to reach the highs of yesteryear, so why even tease it? Just look at WWECW : it had the old ECW logo and they tried at first to recreate some aspects of it, but it quickly turned into something that had barely anything to do with the old ECW.
The difference is that Tony has respect and affection for what ROH was. With ECW, Vince was just trying to make a quick buck off the name.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Jun 29th, '22, 18:22

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 29th, '22, 06:34The difference is that Tony has respect and affection for what ROH was. With ECW, Vince was just trying to make a quick buck off the name.
In a way he does, and he proved it by grossly overpaying for something that was worth maybe 5M. In a more cynical way, Khan loved it so much that he lost whatever business acumen he might have while buying it and is going to be the one killing ROH for good because he has no real plan for it.

Say what you will about Sinclair (and there has been a lot to say over the years), but they had plans to relaunch and still be another place to work for wrestlers. Would it have been a rousing success? Probably not considering it was still the same people on top, but "ROH" under the AEW banner is just a bunch of meaningless belts to pad fucking Dark/Elevation and two PPVs to milk the dubbalos even more, trying to make a quick buck if you will. Like really, what's stopping Khan to start taping an "ROH" weekly show and put it on Youtube while he's (supposedly) working on a TV/streaming deal? Even just as a proof of concept to show off to execs and/or gauge the interest of fans.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 30th, '22, 08:31

Thelone wrote: Jun 29th, '22, 18:22 "ROH" under the AEW banner is just a bunch of meaningless belts to pad fucking Dark/Elevation and two PPVs to milk the dubbalos even more, trying to make a quick buck if you will.
Which reminds me that I need to actually get around to cancelling my Honor Club subscription after the PPV.
Thelone wrote: Jun 29th, '22, 18:22 Like really, what's stopping Khan to start taping an "ROH" weekly show and put it on Youtube while he's (supposedly) working on a TV/streaming deal? Even just as a proof of concept to show off to execs and/or gauge the interest of fans.
I'm sure the reason is that Tony is so busy with other things... and that right there should be a warning sign to him that if this thing is going to have a chance in hell of being anything worthwhile he needs to hire someone else to take care of it (ideally someone whose name rhymes with Sabe Gapolsky).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Jul 2nd, '22, 16:59

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 30th, '22, 08:31I'm sure the reason is that Tony is so busy with other things... and that right there should be a warning sign to him that if this thing is going to have a chance in hell of being anything worthwhile he needs to hire someone else to take care of it (ideally someone whose name rhymes with Sabe Gapolsky).
I didn't want to write an essay, but he does need to delegate stuff if time is actually the issue. Stop booking Dark/Elevation yourself, stop appearing on countless podcasts every week to soothe your fragile ego with yes men like the guys from Busted Open and WOR, and maybe even whatever he's doing with the Jaguars and Fulham since he obviously doesn't give a shit about those. That should free up some time

The thing is though, we're three years in now and Khan has shown time and time again that he actually doesn't shy away from throwing people under the bus the second something goes wrong (and almost never taking responsability himself) and taking away privileges at the drop of a hat, like when he took the booking powers of all of his EVPs after that shitty Elite beatdown by the Dark Order at the end of 2019, or when Caster did an awful rap on Dark that had to be removed and he decided to review everything from now on (the reason he's booking the Youtube shows), or his terrible response to the Swole comments, or when he singled out "a veteran of thirty years" because the Twitter mob bitched about that lame debut for the indian guy. He also doesn't take criticism very well, probably why he's on a billion podcasts trying to control the narrative *winks awkwardly at the camera* or spewing insane shit like the study about anti-AEW bots (still waiting for it btw) or the Swole thing again or the "friday night wars"... rant I guess in one of his latest not-press conferences.

Now, let's say that Khan signs Sapolsky somehow (I mean, money talks) and gives him mostly carte blanche to do whatever he wants with "ROH", the only thing he doesn't control is which old discarded toys Khan will throw at him. How long will it take before "ROH" becomes the superior show and outclasses... whatever Russo-level ADHD booking Khan has been shitting out lately? Not too long I'd say, and that's when the criticisms towards the Dub (and thus Khan himself) will really start pouring out. Would Tiny finally take the hint that maybe he shouldn't be booking because EWR/TEW experience doesn't count, give the AEW book to Gabe and someone else the "ROH" one? Or would he just do his usual shit of taking credit for only the good and never the bad, ignore criticisms altogether but also rant incoherently about them here and there, and wait until Gabe does small mistakes to take away his prerogatives bit by bit?