Recap of Joe Koff ROHStrong Podcast with Kevin Eck

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

Recap of Joe Koff ROHStrong Podcast with Kevin Eck

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 20th, '21, 10:59

For those who don't want to listen to the Joe Koff/Kevin Eck podcast, Montana from ROHWorld has helpfully recapped it:

Montana wrote: Dec 20th, '21, 08:49 Figured i'd share some thoughts on the Joe Koff podcast. It doesn't give many hints; maybe maybe a few subtle comments on the future direction. Mostly Final Battle. Worth a listen though. Spoilers of the podcast below.

The good: Joe Koff genuinely seems to care about his employee's/staff. There's not enough good people in the world; and just from what has been said; he seems like a nice/good guy.

The bad: Joe Koff seems clueless about the wrestling landscape. I think he's smart enough to realize he's not an expert; and more on the business side; BUT seemed very tuned out of the wrestling landscape. I don't know if Hunter is just keeping the ship afloat or what; but it's concerning he's COO. He certainly needs a team around him. Things that surprised me:

(I'm not going to re-listen to quote exactly what he said; but these are the general thoughts he shared)

- He didn't know Rhett Titus was with the company as long as he was. He knew he was with the company since he started in 2011.
- Didn't know about the forbidden door/what it was.
- Didn't know FTR's name's, but thanked them
- Didn't know who Braun Strowman was
- He wasn't involved with the Jay Lethal situation for FB ; like at all. All Hunter.
- Didn't talk about mass-releasing the roster ... not once.
- Kind of aware of Kevin Eck, like asked if he saw the main event at FB; asked if he saw Rhett's title win; asked if he saw the ROH photo; and Kevin's like...yeah i was in. Could just be how he talks; and doesn't want to assume... but like i would hope Kevin Eck would watch Final Battle.

He messed up the timeline for getting their "Live/destination" TV deal; said they were planning from March 2019; and they would air in July 2019. Then blamed COVID; then retracted and said he meant July of 2020. Basically said they hired more staff/production; to get ready for it; and then it never happened. So given the timeline scenarios ; seems off to me. I get he can't say ; business was bad/down in 2019; and they decided not to go that way. It also doesn't take 15 months to prepare to change their live event/taping schedule. As other have mentioned; i'm sure it was discussed; however loosely and nothing close to finalized.

Then he couldn't share much on the future; but more or less; said it was be a new ROH, new era; and to expect the same great action. Couldn't say a lot on it. They weren't in a rush; and would take the time needed to make it right. Seems VERY dedicated/reliant to Hunter. Said they had some "good stuff" lined up for the start of the year; and expect more info to be released in Q1. Also, eluded to that they may have some shows; before the official rebranding/launch. Like some one off shows like Supercard; before a more finalized conception. The new product, would be very fan focused; as said before.

Spoke a bit on Jay Lethal; and said both were said. Joe Koff wouldn't hold anyone back.

Again; reiterated ROH is returning; and not sure why people/media think they are closing. Although, he completely avoiding talking about why they released the whole roster.

So it's nice to hear ROH will definitely be back in some fashion. Little concerned about this re-branding; and as i mentioned when it first went down; i hope they have a mastermind that helping guide this project. It's clearly not Joe/Greg; so i assume it falls on Hunter & team.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: Recap of Joe Koff ROHStrong Podcast with Kevin Eck

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 20th, '21, 11:00

This confirms a lot of my prior assumptions about Koff's cluelessness. Actually he seems more clueless on some things than I expected (no excuse for not knowing who Braun Strowman and FTR are).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3