BRM Reviews the 8/6/2021 ROH

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 8/6/2021 ROH

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 11th, '21, 20:16

CLIPS OF ALLYSIN KAY WINNING HER MATCH AND ADVANCING- Why didn’t you put a known name like Allison Kay on TV instead of spot-fillers (other than Savoy) that they used last week?

MANDY LEON VS. QUINN MCKAY VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMOS- good, but…
Both women were good here- especially Quinn… but the problem is that Mandy isn’t wrong when she points out that Quinn being entered into this tournament in what we are being told is only her third professional match is ridiculous when she hasn’t even won a match yet! Yes, she got screwed in the previous match, but her loss in the first match was her own damn fault for giving up a submission hold. What was she worried about? Mandy coming into the ring and attacking her? Then she would have won by DQ.

It was also announced that The Allure are no longer allowed to be at ringside for each other’s matches. It’s about time someone did something like this if we’re trying to stop the cheating. Now maybe we can get a ruling like this about LFI?

ROH WOMEN’S WORLD TITLE TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND MATCH: Mandy Leon vs. Quinn McKay- 4.75/10
Quinn won a passable match with a roll-up and celebrated big time. I was shocked that Mandy didn’t attack her from behind.

MARTI BELLE VS. TRISH ADORA VIDEO PACKAGE- averages out to good
Whoever directed this is an idiot. There was a point where Adora said “I’m here to show you” and pointed at the camera… except they chose that moment to pointless cut to the side-view, killing the affect of what she was trying to do.
Marti Belle was bland. Adora was very good (and that was even before she got all emotional talking about her mother).

ROH WOMEN’S WORLD TITLE TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND MATCH: Trish Adora vs. Marti Belle- 4.75/10
This was okay for the time it got. Adora won, so that was good.

We finally get told about and shown video of Bandido beating Rush for the ROH World Title almost a month ago.

LNCE UNLTD PROMO- meh
This is Dickinson’s first appearance on the show since winning the ROH World Tag Team Titles (again, almost a month ago).

MEXI-SQUAD PROMO- meh
Even when Bandido was speaking Spanish, the things he was saying were painfully bland.

MEXI-SQUAD (Rey Horus & Bandido) vs. VLNCE UNLTD (Brody King & Chris Dickinson)- 6.5/10
Silas Young on was on guest commentary for this match. He has been booked against Rey Horus for Glory By Honor 2021: Night 1. Why is the guy who lost his big PPV match (Silas) getting attention and getting booked on the big show in a match that will have “title implications” (according to Ian) but the guy who beat him (Josh Woods) is nowhere to be seen?
The match was solid but short. I didn’t like Dickinson getting pinned in a tag match in his first match after winning the tag titles. I don’t care if it’s to the ROH World Champion. Put someone else in that spot or- even better- have his team win!

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- cookie-cutter
LFI ran in and attacked everyone. Homicide came down to make the save and started brawling with Bestia del Ring. I never thought I’d see two guys brawling in an ROH ring with a combined age of over eighty-five (if not higher). Then I remembered that we got Dusty Rhodes brawling with Ox Baker once in ROH, and they were way older.
Where is Tony Deppen? And where is security?
Rush tore Bandido’s mask off. Whatever. It feels like cheap heat because I see it people tear at masks so often just for the heck of it. This whole thing felt like a very paint-by-numbers, “well, we’ve got to fill some time” segment.

This was another meh show from ROH. The women’s title tournament continues to underwhelm, as does the booking as a whole, while the more talented wrestlers feel like they’re having their legs cut off by time constraints.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3