BRM Reviews the 7/30/2021 ROH

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/30/2021 ROH

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 10th, '21, 22:24

ALEX GRACIA VS. MIRANDA ALIZE VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- fine

ROH WOMEN’S WORLD TITLE TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND MATCH: Miranda Alize vs. Alex Gracia- 5.5/10
G-d damn it’s good to hear Lenny Leonard calling matches again. Also on commentary are Ian Riccaboni and Chelsea Green. The story here was that they were friends who were willing to go at each other as hard as was necessary to win.

NICOLE SAVOY VS. MAZZERATI VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- meh
Mazzerati was a little too over the top for me, while Savoy was a little too soft-spoken. Also, ROH management really shouldn’t be hiring someone who brags about wanting to win by any means necessary. You can’t have that and be the “follow the rules” company.
After Mazzerati was a total heel in the video package, the announcers (Chelsea has been replaced by Caprice Coleman) told started to tell me about how she grew up in a high-crime area and used to be a drug addict but she beat her addiction and winning the title would change her life. If she’s going to be a heel then don’t tell me things that will make me want to see her win!

ROH WOMEN’S WORLD TITLE TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND MATCH: Nicole Savoy vs. Mazzerati- 3/10
This came across as very scripted, and the fact that a lot their strikes that were going to be ducked looked extremely slow didn’t help. I was also highly disappointed by how few suplexes the supposed “Sacramento Suplex Machine” threw.

SUMIE SAKAI VS. ROK-C VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- bad
I don’t want to see Sumie Sakai in ROH ever again. She is an avatar of Delirious’ bad decisions when it comes to booking this division. Rok-C came off as way too adorable with her big smile and her “I just want to make ten-year-old me proud” stuff. She didn’t come off like a combat athlete.

ROH WOMEN’S WORLD TITLE TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND MATCH: Rok-C vs. Sumie Sakai- 6/10
There were some good nearfalls in this one, but almost all of my emotional investment came from wanting Sumie to lose rather than any sort of kayfabe reasoning for wanting to see someone win.

This was not a good show from ROH. A very flat and dull start to the tournament.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3