BRM Reviews the 5/28/2021 ROH (great!)

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 5/28/2021 ROH (great!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 20th, '21, 15:28

QUINN MCKAY INTERVIEWS RHETT TITUS & TRACY WILLIAMS AFTER LAST WEEK’S TITLE DEFENSE- very good
Quinn continues to be annoying. Tracy did most of the talking and was very good. He put over the OGK and noted that the title defense was not clean. He says that they have asked for their title defenses to all be under Pure Rules from now on.

JOE KEYS PROMO- great
Winning this match isn’t just getting into the top five for him; doing that would also show everyone that he’s not just a nameless student anymore.”

LEON ST. GIOVANNI PROMO- meh
Generic “It’s my time” stuff.

WINNER WILL BE PLACED IN THE TOP FIVE RANKINGS OF THE DIVISION OF HIS CHOICE: Joey Keys vs. Leon St. Geovanni- 6.75/10
Good stuff. LSG gets the big win.

QUINN MCKAY INTERVIEWS LEON ST. GEOVANNI- fine
He believes in what the Foundation stands for, so he will join the Pure Division.

QUINN MCKAY’S INTERVIEW WITH SILAS YOUNG IS INTERRUPTED BY JOSH WOODS- decent
Both Woods and Quinn are upset about Silas cheating to beat Woods via illegal leverage. It would be nice if the announcers had been upset in the clip we just saw. Woods says that he’ll prove his superiority over Woods by beating him in a Pure Rules match. Woods found this statement laughable, and then laughed in a very annoying way. Quinn also made an extremely annoying face at the end.

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST IS BACK NEXT WEEK- Sorry but I can’t get behind this. The whole one-night thing was a big part of the SOTF gimmick. You can’t do it spaced out over multiple weeks. Just do some other tournament. Also, don’t include f*cking Dorkhausen!

VLNCE UNLTD PROMO- AWESOME!
All four guys were awesome!

FOUNDATION (BUT REALLY JUST JAY LETHAL) PROMO- great!

THE FOUNDATION (Jey Lethal, Jonathan Gresham, Tracy William, & Rhett Titus) vs. VLNCE UNLTD (Brody King, Tony Deppen, Chris Dickinson, & Homicide)- 7.5/10
Kenny King was on guest commentary for this match. We got handshakes all around to start things off, but Brody King wouldn’t release Lethal’s hand so Tracy Williams shoved him and things quickly got heated but not any more physical before the official start of the match.
The story early on was VLNCE UNLTD getting in The Foundation’s heads in various ways, and The Foundation (and especially Lethal and Tracy) getting frustrated. I thought it was interesting that Gresham was the only one who was able to turn the mind games around on their opponents (specifically, he did it to Homicide).
From there, things broke down into the usual tag team match where they forget all about the concept of tags. This was especially disappointing to me in the company that is trying to be the “we actually follow the rules” company, and even more so in a match involving the “we actually follow the rules” faction. The action was still great, though, and Brody pinning Lethal cleanly felt like a loud, clear announcement that Brody King really is someone to take seriously as a singles main eventer.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
All of the heels- but especially Homicide- taunted and posed with Lethal’s unconscious body. Lethal had earlier said that he wanted to face Homicide, leading to Homicide immediately tagging himself out, so I assume that we’re building to Homicide vs. Lethal at some point, which I hope gets enough time to really deliver.

A great episode of ROH!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3