NWK Reviews ROH/NWA Crockett Cup 2019 (MARTY VS ALDIS)

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
NWK2000

Re: NWK Reviews ROH/NWA Crockett Cup 2019 (MARTY VS ALDIS)

Post by NWK2000 » May 1st, '19, 22:44

Big Red Machine wrote: May 1st, '19, 22:19
NWK2000 wrote: Apr 29th, '19, 15:59
Crockett Cup Semi-Finals
Villain Enterprises (PCO and Brody King) vs The Briscoe Brothers

Jay and Brody start, doing strike exchanges. Dem Boys powder out, and then Mark and PCO get tagged in, more crazy strike exchanges. PCO only gets knocked down when The Briscoes do tag team things, which is a wonderful piece of storytellng about how good a tag team Dem Boys are. PCO has Brody chop him because he's an insane person. Mark lands on his feet in a back body drop for a hot tag which ruled. We then get a series of crazy brutal looking spot. PCO crash and burns on an apron cannonball, holy shit. FROGGY BO TO THE OUTSIDE! WE'VE GOT A BRAWL ON OUR HANDS FOLKS. Chairs are used which warrants a DQ. and sets up interest in a No DQ match in the future.
The problem is that they already did this finish with these same teams last month in Baltimore.
I went in with the expectation that this would be unbearable and poorly booked, so admittedly I didn't do near the background I'd normally do.
I've only gotten up to the women's match, but I'm pretty sure we're watching entirely different shows.
I'm sure our scales are entirely different. I've said this in some of my retro reviews, but every match starts at a 5/10 and goes up or down .5 or .25 depending on how something works in that match's favor or doesn't. Sometimes it goes up or down more than that if I REALLY feel strongly about something. So, with that in mind, and re-reading what I've written, you should take my review as "The Championship matches were great to good, the Cup matches were okay to good, and the other matches were about average"
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Re: NWK Reviews ROH/NWA Crockett Cup 2019 (MARTY VS ALDIS)

Post by Big Red Machine » May 1st, '19, 22:53

NWK2000 wrote: May 1st, '19, 22:44
Big Red Machine wrote: May 1st, '19, 22:19 I've only gotten up to the women's match, but I'm pretty sure we're watching entirely different shows.
I'm sure our scales are entirely different. I've said this in some of my retro reviews, but every match starts at a 5/10 and goes up or down .5 or .25 depending on how something works in that match's favor or doesn't. Sometimes it goes up or down more than that if I REALLY feel strongly about something. So, with that in mind, and re-reading what I've written, you should take my review as "The Championship matches were great to good, the Cup matches were okay to good, and the other matches were about average"
Maybe that covers some of the discrepancy, but even just going by adjectives, we're clearly having different experiences. I'm currently up to Cabana vs. Mack, and so far Team NJPW vs. Villain Enterprises is the only match I'd call "great" (and not even an all-caps great).

I was actually expecting mostly clean finishes in the tournament, just to have some clean finishes and make the tournament feel like an actual important sporting event and not some pointless nostalgia show.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3